Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2010, 18:09   #31

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
Yes, it was only 5 minutes ago (ok, a few decades) when a motor was always referred to as an 'auxilliary engine'; these days maybe the sail is often the auxilliary.
Back then there was more time in each day.

And lots less repercussion when showing up for work a couple of days late.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 18:12   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
Yes, it was only 5 minutes ago (ok, a few decades) when a motor was always referred to as an 'auxilliary engine'; these days maybe the sail is often the auxilliary.
Ooops, not kosha to quote myself I know but...re the engine invasion of the sail world, gotta admit I'm as guilty as anyone. A strip plank boat built in about 1960 never had an engine till I dropped one in upon buying it a few years back. The PO had always just sailed off and back onto his mooring (with crew though). Felt terrible drilling through the keel timbers for the shaft...but alas thus it goes.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 13:10   #33

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
What an excellent adventure. My brother had the same situation and ended up out in the strait. Lucky for him he had his sons along and they handled the boat after they were clear while he changed the raycor and bled her out. Now we all have dual oversize filters and a vacume guage. I understand Newt has a triple filter setup. I admire you for getting out in the first place. Yesterday was lovely and I felt guilty fussing around the house.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 13:08   #34

Boat: Pearson 281
Great story... whew!
Might as well join the crowd and quote At sea:

Just read a sailing blog where they had some sort of engine failure and called for a tow... the pics showed some nice conditions with a telltale on the shroud standing straight out. ?????
The last time we chartered from this little outfit out of the U.S.V.I. we came back after a week topping off the tank for $3.00 the guy looked at the hours on the engine and said "You guys didn't go anywhere... wow!
" Well no, you see, we went sailing..."
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 13:21   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
What an excellent adventure. My brother had the same situation and ended up out in the strait. Lucky for him he had his sons along and they handled the boat after they were clear while he changed the raycor and bled her out. Now we all have dual oversize filters and a vacume guage. I understand Newt has a triple filter setup. I admire you for getting out in the first place. Yesterday was lovely and I felt guilty fussing around the house.

Todd
I'm thinking a second filter is a good idea. I'm hoping to find some time this week to get down to the boat for a good head scratching session.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 13:38   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
Cold behaviour, filterability
At low temperatures, the precipitation of paraffin crystals can cause clogging of the fuel filter, and thus result in interruption of the fuel supply. The start of paraffin precipitation can be as early as 0°C in the most unfavorable cases. Consequently, winter diesel fuels must be specially selected, or treated, in order to guarantee problem-free operation in cold weather.
BOSCH DIESEL FUEL INFO - TDIClub Forums

I have no idea if this is your problem but it well could be, especially since you cleaned your tank a year ago. I know that temps. got pretty low out your way a while ago.

Good luck. By the way, if you find a black sludge somewhere in the fuel line a drop of chlorine bleach will tell you if it is biological or precipitate (tar). If it turn white with the bleach it is biological.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 14:51   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
BOSCH DIESEL FUEL INFO - TDIClub Forums

I have no idea if this is your problem but it well could be, especially since you cleaned your tank a year ago. I know that temps. got pretty low out your way a while ago.

Good luck. By the way, if you find a black sludge somewhere in the fuel line a drop of chlorine bleach will tell you if it is biological or precipitate (tar). If it turn white with the bleach it is biological.
I think I'm probably using a winter diesel, but it will be worth checking out. I don't keep my tank full and so figure there is likely water in the bottom at this point.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 15:22   #38

Boat: Island trader, Ketch, 40.8ft, Vagabond
Great job. Congrats! I once got underway on a choppy day and stired up the crud in my tank. Engine ran fine all the way to the dock. I dock at the last slip at the marina with a bridge 15 ft directly in front of me. As I approched the dock I had everything ready and had a line handler on the dock. Just as I went to back down you know what happend, the engine died no time to do anything had a few tense moments!! I had two stern lines at the ready as I cut the rudder over to swing the stern to the dock I threw the first line which the linehandler caught and droped on the cleat which brought me to a perfect mooring. Had a lot of pucker factor for a while.
redmirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 17:58   #39

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Are they putting biodiesel in Canadian diesel?

When I worked for the City here, the trucks were having trouble when it got below freezing and we had to change out filters often. They ran a B20 mix. It gets sluggish when it's real cold. Even the tanker trucks distribution tanks we had to change out 2 gallon filters after pumping about 600 gallons. (In the bucket) The fuel sites too!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1753.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	22088   Click image for larger version

Name:	biofoam.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	22089  

Click image for larger version

Name:	biofilter.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	22090  
Old 19-12-2010, 18:02   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
hummingway, you can check if the wax is precipitating out by checking the clarity of the fuel. I'm not sure if the wax will stay in suspension or settle out though.

Del, I remember when you first posted those picture. That is awful stuff. Have they rectified the problem. I know that all the big trucks have heat exchangers in the fuel tanks.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 18:06   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Hum.... just stick to the sails m8... all this mechanical crap makes you reliant... be an independant with an option... when YOU chose... not the situation...
thats for the inept... be an adept

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 18:41   #42

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post

Del, I remember when you first posted those picture. That is awful stuff. Have they rectified the problem. I know that all the big trucks have heat exchangers in the fuel tanks.
I left that job about 3 years ago and they were starting to goto B30. But we still had to change filters when the temps got below freezing for more then a couple days.

It was worse a couple years earlier until the formula was changed. There is something about the cold that causes the bio to separate and settle. It's like mixing alcohol and water. Once the water freezes they separate.

It would be interesting to freeze local 100% bio and see what happens.

Yahoo! Groups

Coldflow 350 - Coldflow 350 - Reduce Freezing Point to -15C (WVO/SVO Biodiesel) - Additives - Oilybits.com - The U.K's Premier Bio Fuel Equipment Superstore
Old 29-12-2010, 12:29   #43

I had a similar problem except I was at anchor and dragging to the shore with the wind and tide, I tried to start the engine but in my panic I forgot to check the engine stop .. doh. Thankfully my anchor caught a mooring bouy close to the shore, I then tried to lasso the bouy as I passed it every 10 minutes as the tide changed. Hooked on, full wets and life jacket swinging a rope over my head at 0300 - what a sight.

Not how I planned to spend christmas eve.