Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 16:31   #61

Re: Too much scary stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
- those stressing the learning angle like I never said that in the beginning

Guess this why more "safety" stuff is carried on boats over something like a spinnaker. Taking up valuable storage place for other "stuff"!

believing threads/posts I should expect way more pirate attacks than peaceful passages, and more robbing/killing attacks while on anchor than relaxing sundowners
Pirate attacks, avoid those areas. Personal i am more worried about some one who is parnoid with a gun on board.
Old 03-02-2012, 16:43   #62

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Navigation anxiety has been replaced today with all of the hassle of maintaining and repairing more finicky gear that can't easily be fixed onboard. Amongst cruisers I talk to who are giving up the #1 reason by far is the drudgery and cost of repairs, not the fear factor. The old boats could usually be fixed by yourself, with tools and spares you carried onboard, while the new stuff often requires dismantling some complicated and expensive system and then getting something shipped (at great expense) to and from some distant locale, which then has to be installed carefully and with great difficulty.
Yes, I really don't like being stuck waiting for a part, when I really want to leave. This is the main reason I strive to keep the boat simple.

But there is fun in wandering around the hardware stores of random cities.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 16:48   #63

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
But there is fun in wandering around the hardware stores of random cities.
Not to worry, you still will do plenty of this on even the simplest boat.
Old 03-02-2012, 20:22   #64

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Me too, I love wandering around chandelerys and hard ware stores.
Not to buy. Just to see what is now becoming available,

And they do have some good gear,

Bit if you bought it and put it on your boat, The baot would sink from the extra weight, Hhahahahahahaha

Its like when women go shopping,

Cheers,
Brian,

Enjoy your day, Even better if you have your boat out of sight of land,

Bliss,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 21:01   #65

Boat: Naval Yachts XPM-78
Send a message via Skype™ to christinekling

Like Kettlewell, I am old enough to have been doing this cruising thing since the days before all this safety mania. I sailed across the South Pacific to NZ and back in the early 1970's on a boat that had only a Heathkit depth sounder as the sole piece of electronics. We didn't even have a VHF radio. No liferaft, no EPIRB, just a sextant, chronometer and an all-band receiver. When I think back on that it does sort of scare me now. But I was young :-)

The thing is, we like to talk about this stuff and tell these stories because conflict is at the root of all story. Would anyone watch soap operas if they were only about good things happening to people? Of course not. Yes, we learn from stories of things going wrong, but more than that, we find them interesting because tragedy and disaster make good stories. If everything goes right on a cruise, you come home with no stories to tell.

Of course, sailors do usually have the ability to embellish a story, too, so you always have to listen and choose what to believe :-)
christinekling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 22:09   #66

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Sorry Guys and Gals, I only posted http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...her-75916.html because I considered it quite artistic if not most romantic!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:40   #67

Boat: a sailing boat

No excuses! It is clear by now you posted it on purpose! That purpose remains unclear though. ;-)

BTW If you want to keep a paradise place all to yourself, do not tell people it is dangerous there (as you know by now from piracy threads, cruisers WILL go to places they should keep way away from).

Just tell them there are no bars there ...

Oooopppssss! I am giving away my own tricks. ;-)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:12   #68
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Sorry Guys and Gals, I only posted http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...her-75916.html because I considered it quite artistic if not most romantic!
It's OK. I found it mostly just entertaining.

Now if 3 pages of how the captains didn't know how to check the weather forecast before heading out because there was a schedule to keep, and that they didn't have a sea anchor, and that the hull oil cans, and it was ny a costral boat, and the deck delaminated, while the anchor drug, etc. it would be different.
Old 04-02-2012, 13:04   #69

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Thanks a lot, buddy...
Our circumnavigation has just become a sail around Lake Eyre next time it floods...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 15:06   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Thanks a lot, buddy...
Our circumnavigation has just become a sail around Lake Eyre next time it floods...
You are looking at things the wrong way
What you should be doing is make sure that the wife see all the scary stuff on the news (flooding in Oz) Follow this up with "just think how much safer we would be if we had a boat. However the service stations may get flooded so i thing to be safe we need sails. Because i love you so much i dont want you to be uncomfortable so we should get some thing over 36 foot, with a nice little kitchen and a toilet, and some where comfortable to sleep. Now we have this boat i would like to take you on a holiday .. to get over all that stress that scary news has caused".

Its all about perceptions and marketing
Old 04-02-2012, 15:32   #71

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
As a friendly tip to my fellow male sailors, I'd remind you all to not scare the hell out of your spouses. I learned long ago that reading out of Heavy Weather Sailing to my wife and showing her pictures of Force 12 seas served no valid purpose. Sailing makes her a better sailor, and scaring the **** out of here doesn't make her want to go sailing.
It's taken years of "you make the tea" and "I'll trim the sails" for my wife finally to show unfeigned interest in an offshore trip to take our boat on a one-way journey from Texas to Prince Edward Island (relocating). Nothing I did or said made any difference. The turning points were (a) her decision to take some sailing lessons (and NOT from me) and (b) the thought of missing out on the trip. Turned out not to be fear of the open ocean after all, but just not knowing how to sail (and possibly, therefore, always having to take "orders" ). Nevertheless, I do not read Storm Tactics in public.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 15:36   #72

Boat: Finnsailer 38

My wife isn't afraid of anything. I think it's a false stereotype that we have to be careful not to scare our wives--maybe some of us males use that excuse to cover up our own fears.
Old 04-02-2012, 15:41   #73

Boat: Westsail 32

There's fear and then there's prudence. Somehow I suspect the fairer gender is well endowed with the latter, and has little of the former.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote