Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2019, 10:30   #136

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft
Re: Too Old to sail?

All of these posts are great. I'd say that most people self-limit themselves when they get older, subconsciously trying to conform with the way they imagined older people when they were young, or to what society typically expects.

I think the important way to think about it rationally is - you are still the same as the day before, and you're still going to be the same tomorrow. Keep doing what you did yesterday, and string it along. Bingo.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 11:56   #137

For me I'm early in the Battle these days and going back and forward with motor vs sail for a couple of reasons. First one of my bucket trips is to do the Great loop and its kind of a power boat trip and not exactly something that would work out well with a sailboat of any size. Secondly because of many factors really nice powerboats are showing up on the market pretty cheap if you want a condo on the water.
Sailing wise I have my heart pretty well set on an Ericson 38-200 which will take me anywhere in the world I want to go. Mexico and central America are just to the south and its always out there Hawaii if I what to do another deep blue.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 12:35   #138

Boat: Catalina 350

I started this thread and have taken advice from the majority of comments and I have taken steps to make this a reality. We have purchased a Catatalina 350. Not to great on performance but stable and comfortable. The boat is in Florida and will be placed on the hard until last part of October. The boat we chose suits us with the furling main and 4-5 draft. I have started some other threads to get more familiar with the systems and dripless shaft seals. Thank you all for comments in support of our choice.
Old 18-07-2019, 12:53   #139

Boat: Catalina 320

Congratulations Fifty, Nice boat.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 13:01   #140

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftybucks View Post
I started this thread and have taken advice from the majority of comments and I have taken steps to make this a reality. We have purchased a Catatalina 350. Not to great on performance but stable and comfortable. The boat is in Florida and will be placed on the hard until last part of October. The boat we chose suits us with the furling main and 4-5 draft. I have started some other threads to get more familiar with the systems and dripless shaft seals. Thank you all for comments in support of our choice.
"Catatalina 350. Not too great on performance..."

This is a very good performing sailboat, (of course would be better with deep keel and standard mainsail, but...) enjoy it!
Old 18-07-2019, 13:12   #141

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

You are going to make a lot of new memories because of that boat.

Congratulations!!
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 16:44   #142

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
================================================== =====================

On this past March as I turned 78 realized will never finish outfitting my boat so I decided to heck with that and left my slip in Oriental NC.
Currently in Sandy Hook NJ on my way North for the summer ?
Only required crew to round Cape Hatteras otherwise single hand.
Beats any options available to me, like watering the grass,joining local bingo club etc.
my new Moto
Geriatrics Rule
Great to hear. I'm 75 and singlehand at times. Bought a boat once in Oriental too. Friendly people.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 16:51   #143

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
Great to hear. I'm 75 and singlehand at times. Bought a boat once in Oriental too. Friendly people.
=======================================
agree
if any thing miss the coffee shop
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 17:08   #144

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
agree
We bought our boat at Deatons. What I liked about the town is people there still had bad teeth and didn't care about their looks. Bit like Australia, but it's changing here now too.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 02:30   #145

Boat: Custom Brewer Miami 45 45' - Quetzalcoatl

We recently checked into Montenegro. While dealing with the Harbor Master, he couldn't get over how fit and in shape I am. He kept mentioning it as we completed our clearance. I'm 78 years of age. My comments are not scientific findings, but I earnestly believe that sailing does keep one fit and in shape. There is all the lifting and pulling, the staying erect while the boat rocks and rolls beneath you, the walking and carrying when ashore refurbishing supplies, the mental tasks of planning and navigation, and dealing with constant changes caused by watch standing. All these things and more are things not done regularly while living on shore. I'm fortunate that I have a wife that enjoys the life as well. We both know that one day the curtain will come down, but until then were not slowing down. On another subject that has been commented on, single handed sailing. I'm not a fan. Early in my sailing life I joined a 300 mile Single Handed Transpac qualification race. Things happened on that race that turned me off to that type of sailing. I didn't feel I could adequately keep a watch and became very tired which caused other issues. The worst issue was that I almost sailed into an island while sleeping. This was only the second day, but I was still very tired. As I approached the island to pass on its north side, I set my clock for 15 minutes. I woke up about an hour later in irons about a mile off the island. When I went to sleep, I had no assurance that I would pass the island on the tac I was on. I think that in my sleepy state, I set the alarm for 15 minutes behind rather than 15 minutes ahead. The other sleep related incident that I recall was when heading back into port. With miles yet to go in light winds, I could heard a conversation. I had a sail bag on the foredeck and it looked and sounded like a couple sitting there having a conversation. Finally, when all the participants got together after the race, I was alarmed at what some saw while I apparently was not standing watch. There are no single handed plans for me in my future.
Donald Bryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 03:10   #146
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Too Old to sail?

Quote:
agree
I thought The Bean was a great place.. mind back in 04/5 it was the only place offering internet access.. apart from good coffee.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 06:07   #147

On Single Handing, it is certainly not for everyone. I know Brad Van Lieu who has done 2 around the world races. One of them was nonstop and the other consisted of multiple legs. He won both. After that, he worked with other sailors to get them in shape for single handing. No question sleep deprivation is probably the number one concern. You have to prepare yourself to do it before you leave. You can't just go off one day and set the alarm and think you will be fine. We prepare our boats to go sailing. We have to prepare our bodies for the sleep deprivation you will experience. Like any athlete, some are able to accomplish what is required some are not. Don't condemn something that many people can do that you couldn't.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 09:49   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I thought The Bean was a great place.. mind back in 04/5 it was the only place offering internet access.. apart from good coffee.
========================
Hi Boatman61
still is
spent two months in Oriental and was there daily
Old 21-07-2019, 09:58   #149

FINANCIAL ASPECTS
one issue I found is how much more is costing me to continue sailing/cruising.
first hiring help to install/repair things have always done myself in the past and now find extremely difficult to impossible secondary to physically unable.
Second using more and more marinas and moorings vs. anchoring same reasons
Third reliance on crew for difficult legs.
As long as I can afford will continue and taken it as "overhead" of the cost of doing what is dear to me.
Old 22-07-2019, 13:46   #150

67? thats very young. Wish I was that young
BF38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail