Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2019, 18:40   #151

Re: Too Old to sail?

I’ve been reading this forum since January of this year and have been humbled by the many writings of the truly experienced, and in some cases, expert sailors who have been sailing the world in their big beautiful Water boats">blue water boats. It is very intimidating to be surrounded by such awe. I am 72 years of age who has been away from sailing for some 36 years. One who has decided to have my little 25 foot, light weight pocket cruiser taken out of dry dock and am investing over $20,000 to place her back in salt water in one of the best marinas on the west coast of the United States. What I’m the hell am I doing?!
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 18:48   #152
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giro View Post
I’ve been reading this forum since January of this year and have been humbled by the many writings of the truly experienced, and in some cases, expert sailors who have been sailing the world in their big beautiful blue water boats. It is very intimidating to be surrounded by such awe. I am 72 years of age who has been away from sailing for some 36 years. One who has decided to have my little 25 foot, light weight pocket cruiser taken out of dry dock and am investing over $20,000 to place her back in salt water in one of the best marinas on the west coast of the United States. What I’m the hell am I doing?!
you my friend are enjoying your years of hard labor it is always fun when your on boat time.
Old 22-07-2019, 18:53   #153

Always feels good to have someone say something like that. Thanks a lot, I needed that.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 18:59   #154
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giro View Post
Always feels good to have someone say something like that. Thanks a lot, I needed that.
spend their inheritance . You earned it not them .
Old 24-07-2019, 14:15   #155

Boat: Gulfstar Sailmaster 39

Going on 72 with 15K (7000 miles solo) since I was 65..lots of time in the Bahamas, Gulf and Keys and heading for the Caribbean next year. Buy your boat and go.
SV-Windfall
KJ4SSC
dlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 13:13   #156

I’m a single guy in Florida who will turn 59 in September. I’m healthy and strong. I have a business that I can run from anywhere with internet access, but it’s on ice for at least a year due to the pandemic. In the meantime, I need internet access maybe once or twice a week and could go a week or more at a time with no access and my people would be fine. Other than that I really have no strings. It seems like my whole life has been work, I’m financially secure but bored as hell, and I feel like maybe God is telling me to take off and live a little. When I was younger I didn’t have the time or the money, and in a few years I may not have the health and strength. I’ve been seriously thinking about buying a newer 37-45 foot catamaran.

From the answers posted in this thread, clearly the opinion is that I am not to old to sail. However, most answers are from people that are part of a couple. A few mention singlehanding, but several say it’s a bad idea. I want to do this, but I want to be safe. A few circumstances that probably affect things:

1. I have never sailed. I have good experience with a large power cruiser (Sundancer 41). I would stay in Florida and take classes and hire a captain to teach me to gain competency before any real passages.
2. I can afford most any technology that will make things easier and safer for me (great electronics, furling sails, electric winches and windlass, radar, satellite weather, etc.).
3. I have no interest in circumnavigating the globe. I want to cruise Florida, the Caribbean and the Caribbean coast of Mexico and Central America, maybe Colombia. Best I can discern from Google Maps my longest passage would likely be around 400 nm (e.g., Roatan to Cayman Islands, Isla Mujeres to Havana, etc.), but that’s still a long passage at 5-7 knots.
4. I have no need to hurry. I can wait as long as necessary for the right weather windows. I can plan my routes to minimize passage length and maximize daylight passagemaking. I also plan to space out my passages widely. 90% of my time will be in marinas or at anchor. For me it’s about the destination, not the journey (I know that’s apposite from how a “true sailor” feels.

Why not just get a trawler or a powercat? First, sailing in nice conditions seems like it would be way more pleasurable than motoring. Much quieter and more peaceful. Plus, it seems that to get the necessary range for those longer passages I wouldn’t be going that much faster than a sailboat. Second, although I’m secure financially, I got there in part by being frugal. If every time I move it costs me a grand it will take some of the pleasure out of it. If I can comfortably and safely get there under sail and it was free, that’s pretty sweet.

BTW I would LOVE to get some exposure to sailing before making any big moves. If anyone needs an extra hand on a trip and I can reasonably get to the departure point and then back home in a month or less, I’m game. Is anyone going anywhere these days?
flagatorclearwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 16:35   #157

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

You’re a long, long way from being too old.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 17:04   #158
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagatorclearwa View Post
I’m a single guy in Florida who will turn 59 in September. I’m healthy and strong. I have a business that I can run from anywhere with internet access, but it’s on ice for at least a year due to the pandemic. In the meantime, I need internet access maybe once or twice a week and could go a week or more at a time with no access and my people would be fine. Other than that I really have no strings. It seems like my whole life has been work, I’m financially secure but bored as hell, and I feel like maybe God is telling me to take off and live a little. When I was younger I didn’t have the time or the money, and in a few years I may not have the health and strength. I’ve been seriously thinking about buying a newer 37-45 foot catamaran.

From the answers posted in this thread, clearly the opinion is that I am not to old to sail. However, most answers are from people that are part of a couple. A few mention singlehanding, but several say it’s a bad idea. I want to do this, but I want to be safe. A few circumstances that probably affect things:

1. I have never sailed. I have good experience with a large power cruiser (Sundancer 41). I would stay in Florida and take classes and hire a captain to teach me to gain competency before any real passages.
2. I can afford most any technology that will make things easier and safer for me (great electronics, furling sails, electric winches and windlass, radar, satellite weather, etc.).
3. I have no interest in circumnavigating the globe. I want to cruise Florida, the Caribbean and the Caribbean coast of Mexico and Central America, maybe Colombia. Best I can discern from Google Maps my longest passage would likely be around 400 nm (e.g., Roatan to Cayman Islands, Isla Mujeres to Havana, etc.), but that’s still a long passage at 5-7 knots.
4. I have no need to hurry. I can wait as long as necessary for the right weather windows. I can plan my routes to minimize passage length and maximize daylight passagemaking. I also plan to space out my passages widely. 90% of my time will be in marinas or at anchor. For me it’s about the destination, not the journey (I know that’s apposite from how a “true sailor” feels.

Why not just get a trawler or a powercat? First, sailing in nice conditions seems like it would be way more pleasurable than motoring. Much quieter and more peaceful. Plus, it seems that to get the necessary range for those longer passages I wouldn’t be going that much faster than a sailboat. Second, although I’m secure financially, I got there in part by being frugal. If every time I move it costs me a grand it will take some of the pleasure out of it. If I can comfortably and safely get there under sail and it was free, that’s pretty sweet.

BTW I would LOVE to get some exposure to sailing before making any big moves. If anyone needs an extra hand on a trip and I can reasonably get to the departure point and then back home in a month or less, I’m game. Is anyone going anywhere these days?
Dad stopped at 92 and went to power boats for the next 3 years till he passed. You have many years ahead
Old 17-06-2020, 18:06   #159

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:

If you are too old i would have to hand in the keys right now. Turned 60 yesterday. I am in nearly the same situation as you and wish i would be a bit closer to Florida because i would love to have you on board for a while BUT i am just about on the other side of the world in Tasmania/Australia. I have decided not to hand in the keys so fingers crossed you wont do it either. Fair winds for you future.
SV DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 05:51   #160

Boat: Catalina 350

I was the one who started this thread seems like ages ago. Turns out I'm not too old.

Many events have transpired since. I now own a wonderful Catalina 350 and have sailed south from Tampa area to Marco Island, Keys, up to Ft Lauderdale, and now from Ft Lauderdale to Titusville. Learning lessons along the way. We had a few unpleasant events, all caused by my lack of experience, and the boat not carefully prepared, NOT THE Boats fault but by the time of the last leg to Titusville the trip outside in the gulf stream was enjoyable and fun. You can do it. You can learn. My advice is to get a boat that you can single hand from the cockpit, and get a large new style anchor so you can sleep.
Old 18-06-2020, 06:28   #161

Good for you!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 07:02   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftybucks View Post
Urgent as purchase is slated for Feb 28th, 2019

My wife and I are set to purchase 38 foot sailboat in Annapolis, and plan to gradually move it down the coast to West coast FL in stages of 3 individual 3-4 week intervals 3-5 times over the next 12-18 months. Eventually around to west coast of FL, where to be determined.

I'm going to be 67,and in good health, feeling the normal morning stiffness. The boat that we are looking at is equipped with Roller Furling, Furling Main, electric windlass, and looks to be easily single handed if required. My wife can sail also. We have owned a smaller 27' sailboat for many years.

I see on this forum that some are selling their weather gear because they are 'hanging it up'.

Are we crazy at this age to get a sailboat and not the'Trawler' crowd?
It’s up to you

A trawler is very spontaneous ...grab the keys and go

A trawler also keeps you out of the weather and in the wheelhouse .. your cruising season is longer

Nothing wrong with sailboats ...the Chesapeake is a very gentle place to sail
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 00:58   #163

Quote:

Hi.
A catamaran Lagoon, 380, which I have Is the perfect boat for singlehanded sailing. I have done that a lot both alone and with my partly disabled wife. For ten years sailing in the baltic sea. Then down to Gran Canaria where the boat is now since to years.
I am e trained sailor since childhood, however the boat is very easy to handle by one person. If you are sailing during short distances not needed to sleep, you can go wherever you want. I actually have a Lagoon 380 for sale give me a Mail to Jon.tvedt@sweco.se and you will get a lot of information. My boat has never ben chartered, builder 2008, is in very good condition and taken care of By one Owners from the birth.
As a comment to one of the replies in the thread, in my boat you are well covers from rain and snow if you want to be.
Good luck with you plans.
Dont by buggar than 38 feet as everything is much heavier to handle.
Jon
Canarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 16:25   #164

Boat: Bristol 31.1

Good topic, although its over a year old.
At 64 and still working, i just bought probably my last sailboat- a keel-centerboard Bristol 31.1. The K/CB takes me back to my trailersailing days and I'm looking forward to gunkholing Narragansett bay.
I bought it from the estate of a man who, at 65, fell ill and died a year after he bought the boat. However, I spoke to the owner before that who is now 92 and said he had sailed her until he sold her 5 years ago. He said he had bought the boat from a 90 year old guy who was still sailing it with the help of his son.
I guess the 3 previous owners of my boat illustrate a couple points- 1. You're never too old. 2. Go for it because you never know when your time is up.
I'm hoping to be in the company of the former, with many more years ahead of me.
gansett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 18:13   #165

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Sounds like that boat has good juju for its owners! Live long and prosper, mate, and enjoy the boat.

Jim (card carrying old fart sailor)

Tags
sail