Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2020, 18:37   #166

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Too Old to sail?

My aches and pains actually go away when I'm on my boat.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:42   #167

Boat: Oyster 55

Sailing will keep you young. I have known people in their late 80's still racing Starboats.
I too feel improved with my aches and pains after I have been on my boat for awhile.
Save the Trawler till after you have a stroke.
Age is only a number.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 19:09   #168

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftybucks View Post
I was the one who started this thread seems like ages ago. Turns out I'm not too old.

Many events have transpired since. I now own a wonderful Catalina 350
It's great to hear about a happy outcome! We haven't been on the forum for years, but it's good to see the same question still being asked, however, unfortunately sometimes the outcome is never known.

We finally were able to fulfill our "dream" and lived on our sailboat in the western Caribbean for 9 months. We're 60 now but in 2017 my wife said one day, "you know - this is a lot of work and inconvenience for something that's supposed to be fun and relaxing." We sold the sailboat and bought a 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 58. We haven't looked back. It was like moving from a dirt floor shack into a mansion, even though the mansion needed some work.

Sailing is great. Living aboard a sailboat long-term, for us, not so much. The old motor yacht (that we still keep on fixing on) added the elements of comfort and convenience that for us makes it truly enjoyable. We're not old either, nor do we have strokes. But we still enjoy being able to have some cruising friends over for dinner with plenty of room and clothes not hanging all over in and on the boat because they never seem to get quite dry, and you never seem to have enough fresh water to get all the salt out of them.
CruisingCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 08:06   #169

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
my uncle sailed without engine in a gaff rigged sloop until age 95 at which time he keeled over into his scrambled eggs.
i am 70 sola-ing a formosa 41.
too old?? can you stand up? can you pull lines? can you row a dinghy? can you pull self up after a fall? can you prevent said fall? canyou stand on a pitching rolling deck and fill diesel tanks? can you adjust your own sails as wind changes? can you anchor and weigh said anchor with or without a windlass? do you feel safe at sea?
is all in the individual. no one else can answer your age related questions
============================================
in a way serious questions that deserve a look into.

Just turned 80!!!!couple of weeks ago and after confined all of 2020 decided to go, solo of course as enjoy my company best!
The plan was Bermuda, little will know Ana will change my plans and returned home, disappointed? somehow, spent all of 7 days at sea and enjoyed every minute, not big loss!!!
Joining the 80's group makes me feel belonging to an endangered species, where extra care must be exercised.
I feel the major threat for me is broken bones, since my sense of balance is highly compromised, these are the changes I made for a truly geriatric boat.
Lots of added hand grabber inside the cabin and head, not yet finished as I find other places to put.
replaced the main with a roller furling system to avoid leaving the sanctity and safety of the cockpit!!
No longer carry the extra 6 diesel jugs on deck, found them to be a real hazard by trampling on the narrow deck space as well as moving them underway and replaced them with a 25 gallons bladder on deck that at the turn of a gate valve feeds the fuel by gravity (no more electric fuel pump)
Yes, the bladder looks like an eyesore, and yes adds weight where is less desirable, and yes has simplified my life.
Plumbed my nature head urine container to be discharged with a hand pump, no more negotiating the walking on a rolling sea to empty overboard, the winchrite added the convenience of an electric winch very nice and helpful, most helpful when need to roll the sails in.
cover the deck with safety, jack lines and I am permanently tied up to the boat from the time I live the cabin.
Boom to lower the outboard to the dinghy.
Docking on new marinas I call in advance requesting help and most times helpful hands are there.
Improving my heave to skills and very helpful for meals breaks or short naps.
These few changes and more to come have extended my ability to sail, had my right hip replaced last year and the left is reminding me is next.
Trawler, yes more likely in the future for the time doing well as it is.
Life is good
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 21:08   #170
lyl

never.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:04   #171

I would say you are only as old as your feel....i spent my 69th birthday in James Town, on St. Helena in 2016. I was sailing from Capt Town SA to Annapolis, Md. I'm 74 now and still going strong. So, give yourself a honest checkup and if all looks good, plan and then go for it.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:39   #172

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
My aches and pains actually go away when I'm on my boat.

Two thumbs way up !
Old 25-08-2021, 10:56   #173

Re: I been diagnosed "too old to sail"

Darn it
I am too old!!!!!
Received this response from a prospective crew.

Hi David,

Thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions.
I really appreciate your earlier comment about safety as well as your diligence in providing the requested information.
There are however too many risk factors for me in this potential voyage, so I am no longer interested in joining you for this trip.

I applaud your tenacity and adventurous spirit in taking on this type of challenge but your age is definitely a factor for me.

However, I am also concerned about
The amount of water you plan to carry (40 gallons). For 3x crew you will need a minimum of 32 gallons, just to drink for a 14 day journey. So what about water to wash and dishes etc.
I am also uneasy about the amount of fuel that you plan to carry (20 gallons + 20 gallons in bladder +?) - if you need to get out of the weather or if anyone needs medical attention you have limited means of getting there except for sailing (problem if no wind).
Also not sure of your power generation without a generator, limited fuel. True you have solar panels but it does not seem enough.
I wish you all the luck in securing crew, but please stay safe.
I know you have a lot of previous sailing and cruising experience but maybe a different boat would be a better option.

I hope you can take my comments for how they are intended, no disrespect in any way, just concern from one sailor to another.

========================================

Oh! Well
Old 25-08-2021, 11:14   #174
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: I been diagnosed "too old to sail"

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
Darn it
I am too old!!!!!
Received this response from a prospective crew.

Hi David,

Thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions.
I really appreciate your earlier comment about safety as well as your diligence in providing the requested information.
There are however too many risk factors for me in this potential voyage, so I am no longer interested in joining you for this trip.

I applaud your tenacity and adventurous spirit in taking on this type of challenge but your age is definitely a factor for me.

However, I am also concerned about
The amount of water you plan to carry (40 gallons). For 3x crew you will need a minimum of 32 gallons, just to drink for a 14 day journey. So what about water to wash and dishes etc.
I am also uneasy about the amount of fuel that you plan to carry (20 gallons + 20 gallons in bladder +?) - if you need to get out of the weather or if anyone needs medical attention you have limited means of getting there except for sailing (problem if no wind).
Also not sure of your power generation without a generator, limited fuel. True you have solar panels but it does not seem enough.
I wish you all the luck in securing crew, but please stay safe.
I know you have a lot of previous sailing and cruising experience but maybe a different boat would be a better option.

I hope you can take my comments for how they are intended, no disrespect in any way, just concern from one sailor to another.

========================================

Oh! Well
Where are you ? Post a link to your crew wanted ad. Sounds to me like a power boat kid . I'm no spring chicken myself .
Old 25-08-2021, 11:16   #175

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

In fairness, prospective crew make their own decisions about safety and anticipated conditions on the water, just like skippers. You may agree with their decisions or disagree, but they are their decisions to make.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 13:09   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
In fairness, prospective crew make their own decisions about safety and anticipated conditions on the water, just like skippers. You may agree with their decisions or disagree, but they are their decisions to make.
==============================================
total agreement with you

Will have preferred this person omit the age exclusion, but again, not my decision.
Incidentally, I have a water maker.
Old 18-10-2021, 12:55   #177
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

This article seems appropriate

https://amp.theguardian.com/lifeands...-for-six-years

Tags
sail