Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2019, 11:28   #46

Boat: Custom Brewer Miami 45 45' - Quetzalcoatl
Re: Too Old to sail?

I'm somewhat of an authority on geezers and sailing, because I am a sailing geezer. I'll be 78 in May. My 69 year old wife and I have been cruising without additional crew since 2004. If you are in good health then you should be good for many years of underweight activity. As one geezer to another, I would recommend you get some kind of exercise routine going. You will want your flexibility, balance, and leg strength to be the best they can be.
Donald Bryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:38   #47

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

So, you've been routinely sailing a 27' sailboat? How has that been going? I'd say you already have the answer to your question.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:40   #48

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Quitting due to old age.

SAILING : I am 78, Erica is 70. We are still Sailing, and I mean sailing, and do not depend on any electronic any thing. I also still us paper charts, and back that up with GPS . We generally do NOT have an autopilot, but if we do, we use in sparingly. And we STAND watch.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now as to getting too old for professional flying.

I have been flying aircraft since 1967. Commercial, instrument, multi engine, and CFI. Professionally : Flight Instructor, Charter Pilot, Corporate Pilot and the most fun, Air Combat Instructor.

At the end. The last 17 years, before retirement, I few 2500 missions as an air combat instructor, flying 5 and 6 G dogfights . I was 65 years old, and still flying a good stick . Not much straight and level , shiny side up, going on, And no auto pilots installed in our fighters. It was yanking and banking, rolling and pulling, shooting and looting.

However, my vision and hearing started to deteriorate a bit, as did my G tollerance ,
and we were moving from so cal to Kauai island. So, I hung up my helmet, parachute, and flight suit and ended my career after 35 years and 6500 hours.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to sailing and getting to old.

We are still sailing, but have given up local day sails, and memberships in local sailing clubs. We have over the years sold off our boats, but we still, almost annually
Bare Boat Charter in the BVI ( # 17 this may ) and other international sailing destinations.

However, we still are alert, in great physical shape,

We are looking forward to our up coming BVI sailing vacation, like it was our very first. Again, we sail and in two weeks of sailing the BVI, we use about 7 to 8 gals of fuel, mostly to charge the batteries. We hand steer, haul up and trim sails, etc.

At 78 and 70 years old, it all fells normal to us .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our belief is that a person, who does keep in good physical and mental condition, and are positive and have respect for the sea, weather, and other people, can hang in there until the body or mind toss in the towel.

All depends on the individual...with both of you a knowledgeable and seasoned sailing team, and in good heath and fit, you can still sail. Plus, your experience has given you the ability to stay ahead of the power curve, and use good sense and skills to perform tasks the easy way

Was our last BVI going to be my last ?

Thinking, I was getting toward the end of our going on saling vacations :

Two years ago , I was 76, and we were sailing the BVI. ( pre Irma ). We were wondering if that would be the last time sailing the BVI. Maybe, revert to land trips and see my own countries treasures by car.

We had moored at Marina Cay, a special place for us. Dinking ashore we wound up at the Hill Top View Bar for happy hour, live music, dancing, and meeting other sailors.

Later, we went down to have dinner at the one and only beach side view restaurant
Sitting there at a view table, looking out over the other islands, feeling the trade winds, sipping a rum, and enjoying the view it was a very special emotional moment.

We held hands, and both said, at almost the exact same time...

THIS IS NOT OUR LAST BVI TRIP, We will be back.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, we are now all BVI set, last two weeks in may 2019, with Conch Charters just Erica and I on a jeanneau 36i, all reservations complete and paid for including boat, and air, and a couple of land days in hotels before and after our two weeks of sailing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOUR DECISION TIME........too old..........OR GO FOR IT.

For You and your lady, do what is really in your hearts . Live your dreams.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:49   #49

Boat: Amel 50

Agree with all the above and remember, sixty is the new forty. A book I enjoyed on the subject of maximizing life as we age is, “Younger Next Year” by Chris Crowley. Not a sailor’s perspective specifically, but some good wisdom and common sense on why continuing doing what you like is not only OK, but important to your future health and quality of life. The co-author is an MD who provides some (optional) scientific support.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:55   #50

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

As your elder (by two weeks) let me wish you a happy birthday and a good cruising year to come.

Remember, old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time!

Jim
Old 02-02-2019, 11:57   #51

Boat: HR 34

I was 67 when we left the U.K. to cross Biscay en route for the Med and 14 years away. I am now nearly 86 and we still sail across the E Channel and spend 4+ months cruising the French Atlantic Coast.

Keep going as long as you enjoy it and feel capable.
franksingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:06   #52

Boat: Boatless

Depends on how much you really want to sail. If gunkholing down the ICW then across the State I’d say trawler. No need to buy and maintain the hole rig and you can get a vessel you can see the great outdoors from the saloon table. If heading offshore to buck the gulf stream and enjoy the wind I your hair and salt on your brow go for the sail.

As far as ago goes I agree, a number. Enjoy!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:10   #53

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

In case you didn't know...sailing is truly the fountain of youth. By the time you get to west florida, you'll be back into your 50's.

Good 'ole Josh Slocum completed his solo circumnavigation 10 years younger than when he left.

Jean-Luc van den Heede just finished the Golden Globe Race (SOLO around the world, non-stop). He's 73. Oh-yeah....he finished FIRST too. Not bad for an old guy.

So age is not the issue. Good health (both physical and mental) is all thats needed to sail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jean_Luc_Home_Hands_up.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	185005  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:27   #54

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

I was 69 when I sailed from Ca to Sydney and singlehanded from Vanuatu to Sydney on a 41ft ketch. Got washed off the bowsprit ( no pulpit ) changing the torn jib in heavy weather. Lots of bruises and blood/pain etc but was pleasantly surprised that I could still do it. So old people can still do stuff but you have to plan ahead sometimes. Use your experience. Still ride a high powered sport bike....... yellow with carbon pipes. Nearly 75 now. I don't go to a doctor because I don't want to know what's wrong with me........ obvious mental issues though!!!
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:48   #55

Boat: Rawson 30PH

No way you are too old if you are in reasonable (not even good) health. Go slow and think ahead .... no schedule, no problems

Maintain the furling gear well and plan/ discuss work arounds if there is a problem (who does what, etc). Also, the sail handling gets harder with age (we all loose muscle mass with age). Therefore, work smarter, not harder ... consider a large cordless drill with a winch chuck for the furling and maybe even an electric winch if the budget allows.

I hang on to sailing, but at some point the trawlers start to look attractive
However, with a pilothouse and lots of current/ tides in my area, I often act more like a small trawler ... but I still have the option of quite peaceful sailing too!
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 13:01   #56

Four of us Aussie geezers, all over 70, sailed a Nauticat 44 from Seattle to Australia a couple of years ago. Piece of cake...and a helluva lot of fun!!
Glennwaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 13:03   #57

Boat: Union cutter 33

Age is only a number 70 is the new 50
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 13:23   #58

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

@Fiftybucks it's not your age, it's your choices. Unless you have been injured or are suffering from a debilitating illness you can exercise and eat right. Less meat, dairy and fried food (ideally none) and avoid processed foods -- AND exercise would improve your fitness level, muscle tone, flexibility and agility and cardiovascular health.

I'm 67 and in much better shape than when I was 40.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 13:42   #59

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

If you want to stay young for longer than most people think is possible get the sailboat and disconnect from the national media. Few people know this but a sailboat is a kind of time machine. I am sure you have noticed how the years go by so fast. Each minute is tangeable. The reason is I am no longer tied to the hubub of modern western society. One realizes the surroundings and weather because you must. Everything is not layed out for you. You become responsable for decisions about everything and thus are far more engaged hence the slowing down of time. Not everyone can handle it. If you have a wife with, and yourself have a truly adventerous spirit. Do your research and buy a boat that will be kind to you in the odd storm. Your health will thank you for it.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 13:53   #60

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

What do you want to do......stay home and die and wish you'd gone sailing?

Bill (76) and in last 5 years sailed Panama, Colombia, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Mexico, Cuba and swam in the Amazon tributaries

[
I'm going to be 67,and in good health, feeling the normal morning stiffness.
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail