Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2019, 08:08   #1

Boat: Catalina 350
Too Old to sail?

Urgent as purchase is slated for Feb 28th, 2019

My wife and I are set to purchase 38 foot sailboat in Annapolis, and plan to gradually move it down the coast to West coast FL in stages of 3 individual 3-4 week intervals 3-5 times over the next 12-18 months. Eventually around to west coast of FL, where to be determined.

I'm going to be 67,and in good health, feeling the normal morning stiffness. The boat that we are looking at is equipped with Roller Furling, Furling Main, electric windlass, and looks to be easily single handed if required. My wife can sail also. We have owned a smaller 27' sailboat for many years.

I see on this forum that some are selling their weather gear because they are 'hanging it up'.

Are we crazy at this age to get a sailboat and not the'Trawler' crowd?
Fiftybucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:11   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Too Old to sail?

Lot of variables determine when someone 'hangs it up'. I read a story of a 95yo fellow who singled handed to Hawaii (and back i think?) and others in their 30's that have called it quits due to various injuries or illness. Keep in shape, eat well and don't stop moving
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:01   #3

Only trying will tell. Only you will know. Are those 'hanging it up' older than you? Are they in poor health or physically incapable? Are you?

I know people in their mid-70's with no physical or health-related issues. I know someone in his early 40's in an extended stay facility in a wheelchair. Physical ability and mental capability have more to do with it than actual age.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:14   #4

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

My mother in law's 86 and hard to keep up with. She likes to take off and kayak on her own.

My great aunt was 85 when she decided to get out a sledge hammer to take down a wall and change the inside of her house.

But as Shrew said, I know a lot of people in their 40s and 50s who have diabetes, are going for joint replacements, etc.

Totally agree with rbk's comment: "Keep in shape, eat well and don't stop moving"
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:26   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my uncle sailed without engine in a gaff rigged sloop until age 95 at which time he keeled over into his scrambled eggs.
i am 70 sola-ing a formosa 41.
too old?? can you stand up? can you pull lines? can you row a dinghy? can you pull self up after a fall? can you prevent said fall? canyou stand on a pitching rolling deck and fill diesel tanks? can you adjust your own sails as wind changes? can you anchor and weigh said anchor with or without a windlass? do you feel safe at sea?
is all in the individual. no one else can answer your age related questions
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:27   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Too Old to sail?

I know a 93 year old sailor who still sails his 37’ boat solo in Puget Sound. However, now for safety his sister buddy boats along with him on her own 35’ sailboat. She is 86.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:59   #7

Age is just a number. You're only too old to sail if you feel like you're too old to sail. If your health is good, and you feel up to it, then the number you put before "-years-old" doesn't matter at all.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:27   #8

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftybucks View Post
Urgent as purchase is slated for Feb 28th, 2019

My wife and I are set to purchase 38 foot sailboat in Annapolis, and plan to gradually move it down the coast to West coast FL in stages of 3 individual 3-4 week intervals 3-5 times over the next 12-18 months. Eventually around to west coast of FL, where to be determined.

I'm going to be 67,and in good health, feeling the normal morning stiffness. The boat that we are looking at is equipped with Roller Furling, Furling Main, electric windlass, and looks to be easily single handed if required. My wife can sail also. We have owned a smaller 27' sailboat for many years.

I see on this forum that some are selling their weather gear because they are 'hanging it up'.

Are we crazy at this age to get a sailboat and not the'Trawler' crowd?
If you love to sail I think you are crazy not to do it. Buy the boat and enjoy it for as long as you can...... live your passion so when you are about to die you have no regrets.

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:26   #9

I solved that issue by having both a sailboat and a trawler, the best part is my wife won't go on either one.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:29   #10

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish53 View Post
I solved that issue by having both a sailboat and a trawler, the best part is my wife won't go on either one.
The best part???? Sarcasm I assume.
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
The best part???? Sarcasm I assume.

Maybe not. Maybe his "moniker" says it all.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:41   #12

To the OP:

I'm 73 and when I was 71 I sailed my boat up the coast from SF to British Columbia.

The respondents are right: it's only a #.

Go for it. If you have any doubts, identify them and work on eliminating them.

We had a 25 foot boat for 13 years before we bought this one 20 years ago. Yes, I was younger then, but I know my boat inside and out, what she can and can't do and what I can and can't do. I still don't have a windlass but anchor out often, carefully choosing protected anchorages and good weather. Basic seamanship.

Safe journey, you'll be sorry if you don't. Not a good way to deal with things.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 13:46   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

No you are not too old. Just keep your self in shape (motion is lotion!) and reef early.

If you wish, hire a delivery captain with ASA certifications to be a mentor. When you are confident- drop him off and have fun. Or hire someone to do the crappy crossings (like going to BVIs) and meet the boat.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 14:01   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I'm 81 and still cruising full time. We don't drive the boat as hard as we used to, but still manage 3-4000 miles a year. The aches and pains will getcha on board or dirt dwelling... might as well suffer where you really wanna be!

Jim
Old 01-02-2019, 14:15   #15

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
SNIP

can you row a dinghy?

SNIP

If the truth be known it is harder for me to stand up and pull the rope to start up the outboard than it is to row.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail