Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 14:32   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

I would say that non of them are essential but a couple would be very handy.

Binoculars (will use later onboard)
Multimeter (will likely use later onboard - but that mostly about fault finding).....albeit not every Vendor will be keen to let someone "poke around" in the wiring, especially if they do not understand electrickery much themselves. For me most of the electrical checking is about switching stuff on (not all surveyors bother with everything), having a visual look at the fusebox (and behind where possible) and to understand how the batteries are connected (and see how it is done).
Waterproof snake camera I have never used one!, but could be very handy especially if a boat has a hull liner.

Not sure what purpose you have in mind, but I would not let anyone use a barcol tester on anything! Any destructive testing is for wooden boats only, not plastic.

The moisture meter is a conundrum - personally I would not bother if getting own survey later on the basis that I don't know how to understand the results! But certainly a visual inspection of the hull (for Osmosis bubbling) could be done by you before the Surveyor starts getting stuck in........... of course if you will have a use for a moisture meter later, then no harm in giving it a go - I would just be cautious about any results (good or bad).

In regard to the decks, I would settle on tapping (with knuckles - ouch after a while!) and feel (from feet / walking), mostly that a comparative thing along decks and also against experience on other boats! (they are not all like trampolines on deck!)..........
I agree with all of this, but if you have DSLR use it with a long lens instead of the binoculars. One view with the binoculars is nice, but a digital photo that you can zoom in on later at your PC or tablet, will give you almost as good a view as going up the mast.

We used the DSLR when boat shopping as a way of remembering what we liked and did not like. Photos of damage also let you do some research about what you are getting into.

+1 on the moisture meter and thermal imaging, if you are not proficient with them they can give false info.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:37   #17

Re: Tool Ratings for Doing a Personal Survey

So far, on our East coast "scouring tour" , we've seen 6 boats. I've found the moisture meter useful in helping know where to tap. It seems to be pretty good at picking up wet areas.

The binocs are great for getting a close look up the mast but not always easy to steady. None of the brokers have allowed starting the engine so tools related to a running engine are useless for now. A good flashlight is a must.

But the one tool that has been most helpful is the camera. We have been taking pictures wherever we can fit the camera. We have the photos to remind us of what we saw, focus on the specific area in the photo, and allow us to do a comparison to other boats.

We have at least another 6 boats to look at. I'm sure we'll come home a bit more knowledgeable about this phase of boat buying.
Julie Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:14   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I have three things to say ....
Moisture Meter Mythology
Marine Survey 101
Osmosis Testing
Old 10-08-2013, 06:03   #19

Moisture meter/hammer#1
Good light #2
Camera#3
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:07   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

I'm surprised no one mentioned a simple inspection mirror. Cost about $3 in any automotive parts house.

BTW, if anyone wanted to use a multi-meter on my boat for a pre-survey they would be asked top leave. Since I have no idea of their electrical knowledge other than their say so, it aint gonna happen.

Anyone other than a surveyor coming on my boat with anything more than a flashlight, camera and inspection mirror would be asked to leave.
Why? What's to know? You turn on my radio it either works or it don't. That's it - simple. I don't need anyone playing with my electrical system.

Every older bought I have ever owned was always an electrical nightmare. The PO knew enough to eventually get an appliance to work. Didn't mean he did it right.

My own pre-survey is just to see if the boat is even worth the a second look by a surveyor. A good visual inspection tells a lot.
Walking on a deck with stocking feet tells a lot. I am not going to let an amateur start knocking with a hammer.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:11   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post

I could not disagree more with both of these statements. They are dogmatic and short-sighted.
+1. Rigid dogma does not correlate well with reality regardless of the subject area, whether surveys or social structure. It is common and reasonable practice to make minor adjustments to price based upon survey results.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:14   #22

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned a simple inspection mirror. Cost about $3 in any automotive parts house.
+1. An inspection mirror and a small powerful flashlight can cover a lot of ground on survey check list.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey