Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2012, 01:08   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Top 10 Items to Prepare for Cruising

I know its something no one wants to think about, but you need to practice man overboard. If only two on the boat, you''ll need to come up with a system which is managable by one person alone.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 01:14   #17

What the other said and:
Make sure that you work as a team , anchoring, docking, reefing .....
Make sure that you BOTH can single hand the boat, it may save your life
Old 25-03-2012, 02:53   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Don't forget to put proper seizing wire on all the shackles. Unrestrained, those little buggers will let go at the most inopportune moments.
Old 25-03-2012, 06:19   #19

Boat: Hudson Force 50

Thanks for the input. From what I am reading, I think we are on the right track, but I am getting some good ideas of things we have yet to complete. We have not checked the wiring on our shackles and while we do have a very specific man overboard plan, on this boat, we have not actually put me in the water and had me recovered. Sounds like a fun activity for our first weekend out on the boat.
medicrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 07:57   #20

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicrene View Post
Hello all,

My wife and I will be taking the first leg of our circumnavigation starting on May 3rd. I have spent two years retrofitting the boat and remain confident that she will sail well. However, I am curious about what each of you would do to prepare for such a cruise. So here is my question for you all:

What is your Top 10 list of things to do to your boat to prepare for cruising

Rene "the Witchdoctor" Steinhauer

PS. Yes, I know we all have about 250 items that need to be done, but what are your top 10?
1) Make sure your critical systems are understood to be critical. That is, a lot of places don't have wind, make you sure your engine is good; a lot of places are shallow, make sure your depth gauge is good. Have spares for when the racor unexpectedly get loaded with a batch of bad fuel.

2) Carry an extra large, preferably collapsable, anchor but one that you can get up on deck. Two on the bow, a small one on the stern (amazingly useful for stops for timed bridges, lunch or just getting things sorted out) plus the big one in reserve is not unwise.

3) Do a shorter shake down covering all those skills not everyone does all the time. An easy sail during the day, some night nav, anchoring, heaving to, MOB drill, (try that in conditions other that utterly benign but take an extra person who will just be an extra. Great motivation to stay in the boat.), reefing, etc. It's better when you do this under tougher conditions but you'll have to use your own sense of how far is too far.

Come to think of it, a lot of this has been covered by bewitched and some others, so I would go with that.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising