Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2016, 09:55   #1141

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
So when I bought this radio a few years ago I assumed that no GPS/AIS combo was available. Of course I could just buy another new Chinese radio. Probably the original marketing plan all along.

The GPS/ais version has only been available for the past year.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:03   #1142
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

At least that, I think maybe last 3 years.
Old 15-01-2016, 10:03   #1143

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If you don't have the GPS input to the VHF turned on, you will not get a boat position when you poll it from a HH.

Mark
I'm pretty sure my budget priced uniden dsc vhf that came with the boat will retain the last recorded lat/long whether manually entered or via the external gps input for at least a few hours, if not for ever, until new input is recieved. It will start audibly alarming with a no gps input error after a while if it isn't receiving the nmea gps input.

As for gps, I use a dedicated non-mapping unit to feed the VHF that also acts as primary backup to the chartplotter. It's power consumption is not much more than that which a gps puck would draw so I leave it on 24/7 when on the boat.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 11:02   #1144

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You know, just about everything that guy did or said, went completely against my personal beliefs
I guess it depends on what your definition of the word is, is

It astonishes me that many still hold him in high regard
Amen brother!!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 11:03   #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I'm pretty sure my budget priced uniden dsc vhf that came with the boat will retain the last recorded lat/long whether manually entered or via the external gps input for at least a few hours, if not for ever, until new input is recieved.

If the boat has gone walkabout, that isn't very useful...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 15-01-2016, 11:06   #1146

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If the boat has gone walkabout, that isn't very useful...

Mark
Not after a few weeks, that's for sure.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 11:07   #1147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
At least that, I think maybe last 3 years.

I remember availability only in 2014. We bought its predecessor in 2012, and it was a few years until it was superseded.

Mark

Old 15-01-2016, 18:04   #1148
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You know, just about everything that guy did or said, went completely against my personal beliefs

I guess it depends on what your definition of the word is, is

It astonishes me that many still hold him in high regard

I feel the same about old Ronnie Reagan. But then we aren't supposed to get political😝

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 02:59   #1149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Harry, with respect, I think the main problem you're having is how you're using your alarms.

AIS alarms are not useful in harbors, approaches, or coastal areas where vessels are turning while maneuvering in fairways or channels -- you will get more false alarms, than meaningful ones, and filtering can't change that. AIS alarms only tell you something useful when you are on a steady course, and vessels around you are also on steady courses. Just switch AIS alarms off completely in such situations; forget about filters. All AIS displays I have seen will indicate VISUALLY when certain CPA and TCPA thresholds are crossed -- on my B&G system, such targets are bolded. That visual indication is all you need in busy inshore waters, because you need to be watching continuously anyway.

By watching the display, you will see that that ship up there is following a channel, which you are avoiding, and the fact that it is momentarily heading straight forward is meaningless. By watching the display, you will also see immediately which targets are matters of concern. Make sure your display is set to bold or change the color of targets, and tweak the CPA and TCPA thresholds until you get the kind of response you want. You will need to reset these when you get offshore, by the way.

Use your AIS alarms offshore and in open water where you are not watching the radar or plotter screen constantly.

If you're still not happy, then I suggest you try OpenCPN, which has the most powerful and flexible AIS display I've ever seen. I don't know about filtration, as I've never been interested in that, but you can do everything at least I've ever wanted to do. OpenCPN displays arrows to show when a target is turning, which is extremely useful, and it will also display the geometry of a crossing with another vessel -- where both vessels will be at CPA and their bearings to each other -- which is very useful when planning a collision avoidance maneuver. And if you are on a budget -- OpenCPN is completely free.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Probably good idea to start a separate thread on this if you want to discuss more.
I think the Garmin 545 is quite limited in terms of AIS alarms. I have the Garmin 451 at the chart table and it is pretty much alarms on or alarms off. What's more annoying is that the alarm continues even if the approach changes and there's no more risk.

In practise that means I end up turning alarms off after the first couple of false alerts - they then stay off until I remember, or the unit is turned off and on again.

Instead I rely on the tablet or phone in the cockpit running Memory Map, which works pretty well. Will look at OpenCPN too.
terah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 03:26   #1150
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Wow! 1150 posts that have covered almost everything except the cut of Gill's jib.

Come to the conclusion that next time, I should run hard aground at high tide, turn on 5 strobes, 4 AIS'S, dump all my ground tackle on the beach, get a dog named SPOT and tie a long string from my middle finger, to the tiller, before clearing in

Have I forgotten anything??

Oh yeah...did Gil find his boat?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 11:32   #1151

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

i have only made it as far as page 30 something, as there are only so many hours in the day... but I think something has been overlooked that could be a good learning lesson, esp. for those unaccustomed to the clear waters of the Bahamas...

Did DAGNY have a depth finder????

if so what was the water depth where she was anchored??

I see if referenced numerous times that she was anchored in "shallow" water, but did not see a specific number of feet of water mentions...

my guess is that the "shallow" was something in the 15 - 20 ft. range... meaning that over the hard bottom the scope on the ground tackle was marginal (maybe 3:1) at best... and unless the cqr found a hole for its point, it didn't stand a chance...

for anyone new to the Bahamas, 20ft of water looks awfully shallow when you can see every detail on the bottom, 6ft looks down right scarry...

a depth finder is not essential equiptment, but adequate ground tackle and scope is... I have sailed over 2000 miles thru the Bahamas in the last year with no depth finder, even at night on the banks... the charts are that good and very conservative... but I have also been known to lay out 100ft of chain in 8 ft of water, too much? sure, but I want my boat to be there when I get back...
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 16:44   #1152

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

If my memory is correct, Dagny was anchored close to 5 feet of water, Gil tried to get as close in as possible for good sandy seabed, he draws a little over 3 1/2.
I've not heard of any sightings, but it's just a matter of time :-).
Old 19-01-2016, 19:09   #1153

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dagny's a little boat, and the ocean is vast. She isn't going to be found on our schedule, or she'd already be back with Gil. Still, there is no harm in hoping.
Old 20-01-2016, 03:31   #1154

Tragedy Strikes.

now what happened to this guys little boat in the big ocean
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 04:53   #1155

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

Any news on Gil's boat?
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote