Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2021, 11:28   #1

Boat: Com-Pac Eclipse
Trailerable Camp Aboard

I bought a 1987 Com-Pac 16 last year, first boat, but grew up surfing and sailing. I'm almost 60.

The wife and I like the Com-Pac, it's a learning boat for us, and we'll do lot's of sailing with it on nearby lakes and longer trips to the coast. There's lots to learn about trailering a boat, like tire load ratings, etc.

So, we were sailing Sunday afternoon at the lake, one of the largest around, Kerr Lake on the NC/VA line. It was a lazy afternoon and we got to talking about overnight trips, probably on the Pamlico, but the Chesapeake is within travel distance as well, just a little further.

We could make do with the Com-Pac 16, we'll start bringing a cassette toilet we use on camping trips, for example. The cockpit could be converted to a nice size bunk for 2, and a boom tent, but it would still be small.

Thinking in the future about trading up, what would be an ideal coastal boat for camping on that uses a cockpit enclosure for a tent, that is trailerable. I'm not looking for standing head room in an under 24' boat, I'm just over 6'.

I literally researched years, and looked for months before buying the Com-Pac 16, we also looked at the 19 and 23. It was the cheapest I could get on a budget, and I'm not looking to buy new. It's easily setup at the landing, and now that I'm familiar with the process, thinking ahead to retirement in a few years and what kind of sailboat would work for us to haul behind a Class B RV to the Florida Keys. I like the idea of being able to haul out and drive away during hurricane season, for example, but also being able to criss cross the US.

So, obviously in the dreaming stages right now, and I've looked at cockpit enclosures. Curious if anyone else has an opinion. We've done a lot of camping, and tent material is extremely light weight, like parachute stuff. Has anyone seen a boom or halyard supported cockpit enclosure for a trailerable sailboat.

Thanks for reading to the end!
NCGunDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer