Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2018, 12:59   #1

Transatlantic gear

Hello.
I will be on the "Eye Of The Wind" a 135 ft schooner leaving Tortola on Feb 22 arriving the Azores March 22. I have done several coastal cruising trips and consider myself a beginner sailor. I am looking for recommendations on what to bring for personal gear and suggestions on a spray jacket. All I was offered by the company was "plan on any type of weather" so any information about a journey like this one will be helpful.
By Sea or Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 19:36   #2

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Re: Transatlantic gear

WOW! You are a serious masochist! You can expect high winds, big, BIG seas and lots of water across the decks. You are in for a month of misery. But good on you if you can.

Far more pleasant to leave in May and travel in early summer via Bermuda.

Now for your question: I like the HEAVY weather kit from both Henri Lloyd and from Musto. Buy the heaviest kit (you'll need it) as well as many sets of thermal layers from long johns to T shirts, gloves etc. You will likely be wet throughout the crossing. Du Barry (UK) makes an excellent all leather wellie boot.

Not cheap. Good luck.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 16:00   #3

Boat: Nonsuch 30

That sort of weather gear">foul weather gear is incredibly expensive and hard to justify for a one month passage. I think you could go with lighter foulies but in a size large enough that you can where whatever layers you want underneath. Decent boots, again large enough for a couple of pairs of socks and good gloves for sure. Make sure you have a good harness and tether (one of the kind that does not open casually). Also make sure you reasonable clothes (and sunscreen) for the first part of the trip which should be warm and nice - he said hopefully.
Old 27-09-2018, 12:59   #4

Boat: Bristol 30

more experienced people can chime in, but you can also get a heavy set of PVC rain suit then layer up underneath. Or just get a cheap diving drysuit then layer up underneath. The reason expensive foulies are expensive is because they have to give you the waterproof ability while providing some breathability as well.
Old 28-09-2018, 02:22   #5

Thank you everyone. There is no way to predict the seas but does anyone know what I could expect for the coldest temps? I live in Maine, cold doesn't bother me.
Old 28-09-2018, 08:08   #6

You might want to see if you can find PILOT CHARTS online for the months concerned. They will give you a rough idea of what wind to expect. I am surprised that they are figuring a 30 day passage for that size of boat. It should not take that long and giving exact dates seems unrealistic. As far as gear goes, look into renting a PERSONAL LOCATOR BEACON or any other gear to keep you safe. Foulies will probably have to be purchased and get the best you can afford because water running down your neck on a night watch takes all the fun out of sailing. Keep an eye out for good used gear. Finally, do some actual research on the boat and skipper. Some of these big old boats are well run and equipped and some are run on a shoestring budget with sailings to deadlines (which is always a bad idea). I hope this is the adventure of a lifetime for you and the best foulies and safety harness you can find will make it better. Good Luck. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 09:07   #7

I just googled the boat and it is a Brigantine, not a schooner. If it is in the condition that the photos show it is a beautiful boat. Over a 100 years old. Will the paying guests/crew be expected to work the square sails, or will climbing ratlines be reserved for the professional crew? I see they take a max of 12 guests but I didnt see what number of professional crew they carry. Go to the library (or buy on Amazon) Richard Henry Dana,s book "Two Years Before The Mast". It will explain a lot about sailing a Brigantine. It is a great read for anyone. ____Grant.
Old 28-09-2018, 10:05   #8

Thanks Jordan
11 guests 20 crew, It's not 30 days. From online chat with them online there are 3 buffer days in the 26 advertised. So, Could be 23? "You work as much or as little you desire and climbing requires a harness" is all I read. Great people to deal with. Coats and pants are reasonable money. I haven't decided on foot wear. I'll get that book, thank you
Old 28-09-2018, 21:32   #9

It sounds like it will be a great adventure but cold at that time of year. Please try to post after the trip. It is always nice to hear how things work out. Grant.
Old 30-09-2018, 18:55   #10

Boat: Sabre 402

We sailed transatlantic in June and could not believe how cold it was, especially at night. (I was on the ski team at a Maine college, so also know what cold is.) Wearing an undershirt, shirt, heavy sweater, lifejacket, and foul weather gear, watch cap, socks, boots and gloves, still found me shivering the whole watch. The damp made it nearly impossible to get warm down below too, despite running the cabin heater trying to dry out our gear. February is probably not as warm as June. I would suggest several pairs of heavy socks, so you can find a dry-isn pair to wear. Make sure the boots are big enough for them - maybe two layers? Fleece gloves can be squeezed out & still provide some warmth while permitting you to tie/untie knots and tend sheets. Rubber gloves get holes unless they're too thick to bend enough to actually do anything wearing them. Ski goggles or perhaps a pair of clear safety goggles could be useful for seeing in wind-driven rain or sleet.
You may have nice weather and a lovely trip, but if the weather doesn't cooperate, having the right gear will make it bearable. On a boat that big you should have enough room for what you might need.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear