Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2013, 06:20   #721

Boat: Beneteau 50
Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

John Galt, +1 on the boat name.

Scoobert,

Been following this thread. We're rooting for you. Please continue to be safe.

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
Old 24-11-2013, 06:35   #722

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by passat5919 View Post
I was there in Coyemans landing marina to check on my friend Dave who's Mason 43 was docked right next to your boat. You been working on deck teak and my friend was adjusting rig and put new sail. You asked if one of us professional to help you with roller furling or so... You have nice boat but man there is a lot of work to make her shine... Never mind, the boat doing it's job and that's most important. Again, keep going, you inspired me. I actually found the boat. It'll take few weeks to get it all done, so I can say then I boat owner. Good Luck!
Congrats on being a boat owner.

Edit: removed politically charged comment on health care
Old 24-11-2013, 07:48   #723

Boat: 1995 Larson Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondor View Post

The man appropriately points out that service is lacking at some finer establishments and suddenly *he* becomes the one with ill manners?

I'm pretty well-traveled myself and understand exactly what he means... NY isn't cheap, but you spend reasonable money and you get stellar service. Many places don't seem to get that part of the equation. The part where you go the extra mile for the patrons. Not because you *have to* but because you honestly appreciate their patronage.

That said, I LOVE the south in general for their hospitality at all price-points, but again, I do understand where he's coming from where restaurants will put out a white table-cloth and serve some warm sourdough thinking that's all it takes to charge premium prices...
It is true about service in some less populated areas. We went to Carlisle Pa to the car show, and ate in a local place. We ordered a shell steak, and they brought us a rib eye steak. They swore hat it was a shell steak. We eat in all the best steak places in NYC, and a shell steak always has the bone. She got so snippy, claiming that the chef assured her that it was a shell steak. The hostility, along with the poor service, left us wishing for NYC again.
Old 24-11-2013, 08:00   #724

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Scoobert......you are doing good, making good time at a reasonable, smart, pace.

Obviously the weather front has everything cool today and expected to be cooler tonight and in the morning (for us Floridians with thin skin at least). This is normal for us this time of year but still good.

The "Positives" now outweigh the "Negatives">>>keep a Smilin>>>>>

S/V Water Wings
Old 24-11-2013, 08:05   #725
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe from ny View Post
Can't you post the story using the same connection method you used to send this post?
Its my iphone. Hard to type 500+ words on this.
Old 24-11-2013, 08:09   #726
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by passat5919 View Post
I was there in Coyemans landing marina to check on my friend Dave who's Mason 43 was docked right next to your boat. You been working on deck teak and my friend was adjusting rig and put new sail. You asked if one of us professional to help you with roller furling or so... You have nice boat but man there is a lot of work to make her shine... Never mind, the boat doing it's job and that's most important. Again, keep going, you inspired me. I actually found the boat. It'll take few weeks to get it all done, so I can say then I boat owner. Good Luck!
Dave is an awesome and friendly guy.
I love his hull paintjob.

Yes, i have much to do, but structurally the boat is flawless.
Cosmetics is the biggest part.
Old 24-11-2013, 08:15   #727
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
Scoobert......you are doing good, making good time at a reasonable, smart, pace.

Obviously the weather front has everything cool today and expected to be cooler tonight and in the morning (for us Floridians with thin skin at least). This is normal for us this time of year but still good.

The "Positives" now outweigh the "Negatives">>>keep a Smilin>>>>>
It is super cold. We have anchored out two nights. Now we are trying a marina for this evening and tonight! Warm with fresh bread tonight! Updates on the blog tonight too! My fake trip goes on!
Old 24-11-2013, 08:51   #728

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe from ny View Post

It is true about service in some less populated areas. We went to Carlisle Pa to the car show, and ate in a local place. We ordered a shell steak, and they brought us a rib eye steak. They swore hat it was a shell steak. We eat in all the best steak places in NYC, and a shell steak always has the bone. She got so snippy, claiming that the chef assured her that it was a shell steak. The hostility, along with the poor service, left us wishing for NYC again.
Being from cattle country (if it ain't Alberta, it ain't beef) I had never heard the expression "shell steak".

Google being my friend, it tells me via Wikipedia that it is more commonly known as New York strip steak, Kansas City strip steak, strip loin, Delmonico, boneless loin or
boneless club steak.

It goes on to say: The (strip) steak may be sold with or without the bone.

As we say here in cattle country, same poop, different pile.
Old 24-11-2013, 09:06   #729

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
My fake trip goes on!
LOL...don't let it get you down, its only castles burning.(Annie Lennox)
Old 24-11-2013, 09:19   #730

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
It is super cold. We have anchored out two nights. Now we are trying a marina for this evening and tonight! Warm with fresh bread tonight! Updates on the blog tonight too! My fake trip goes on!
LOL!!!!!!!
Old 24-11-2013, 09:24   #731

Boat: Custom Norm Cross 50'ft Trimaran

Scoobert:

I'm just guessing.
I believe you are either anchored off near Alligator River or near the Alligator River Marina. Anchored for two days in the cold weather waiting for better weather. I believe if you can head South through Croatan Sound and Palmico Sound and continue to Beaufort, DE in the next few days you will find more supply accommodations and maybe better restaurants. The winds will be against you, but you will have an open weather window until late Tuesday. From there it will be getting very windy continuing to Wednesday. I believe every here agrees that you would be travelling mostly upwind this time of year.

From Beaufort, Your choice will be back out to open sea towards Cape Fear or continue on the ICW towards Georgetown and Winyah Bay. I'm not sure of the channel depth, but I'm sure locals and GC can give you tide and depth information. You will need to check your local weather and will have to make those decisions, as you are the captain. I'm closer to the west coast, and not standing on your deck but I am checking the weather on the Internet.

I'm rooting for you. Once you get to the Carolinas, it will be much warmer.

I wintered once in Charleston SC and found the weather quite pleasant compared to RI, (the only other place I wintered on the East Coast).

Good Luck,

--- Escale
Old 24-11-2013, 09:44   #732
cruiser

Thanks Escale!
We are in belhaven, nc until tomorrow.
We found a friendly marina with nothing to sell but dockspace.
Dockmaster is the most friendly we have seen in weeks.
We are getting warm, and enjoying the sturdy ground.
Off to food lion, food (noting noteworthy) and relaxation.
Old 24-11-2013, 14:02   #733
cruiser

blog update 1
S/V Union Pacific : IC(dubbihyaa)
Old 24-11-2013, 14:10   #734
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
Just read the update.... Keep it up!

All the best.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 24-11-2013, 14:25   #735

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
this is the first time I've actually plotted where you are on active captain typed top rack marina. you're missing so much cool stuff to look at just in that area could take weeks. what's the reason for the speed. are you going to finally take a look when you get to Tampa... sailing is about the journey not the destination
Closed Thread