Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2013, 14:27   #736
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

and the gross one. S/V Union Pacific : Refried Chicken?
Old 24-11-2013, 14:29   #737
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
what's the reason for the speed. are you going to finally take a look when you get to Tampa... sailing is about the journey not the destination

i have seen all this. i also need to be back to work in NY for 3 weeks in December. don't forget the weather, cold, and blowing.
Old 24-11-2013, 15:09   #738

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

What marina are you in now?
Old 24-11-2013, 15:30   #739

Boat: Vancouver 27

If Oriental is your next stop after Belhaven, there are two free town docks right next to the Oriental Marina and Inn and the Toucan. The Toucan has good seafood and also a decent burger. Nice little coffee shop called The Bean is right across the street from the docks before you get going in the morning.

Oriental is my favorite stop on that stretch. A quaint little fishing / sailing village with a touch of old timey charm.
Old 24-11-2013, 15:44   #740
cruiser

great to know, thanks!!!
Old 24-11-2013, 15:52   #741
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

Word of warning.. don't stay at the Town Dock if there's a wind shift W.. it blows the water outa the Sound and your stuck till the wind shifts again..
How do I know..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 24-11-2013, 16:57   #742

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post

That is absolutely unreal. A lot of places we never make an impression with bland food and mehh service. They sure stand out in the crowd.

Old 24-11-2013, 17:17   #743

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
Are you sure they refried it and didn't put it in the convection oven (which most restaurants would have done)?
Old 24-11-2013, 17:17   #744

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Hey Scoob, enjoying your blog and rootin for ya!

It's cold as the proverbial witches you-know- here in NY so I checked your WX and it's not so good. Good thing you stayed inside. You'll see 18F tonight with winds in the 20's. (Hope you have heat). And it doesn't look so nice for you through most of the week, with strong headwinds on Tuesday-Wednesday so you might be wise to find a spot to stay-put for those couple of days. (The journey is where you are, so make it good) . I've heard Pamlico Sound can have quite a nasty chop... BTW did you get some Dramamine for those pups?

Small Craft Advisory in effect until midnight EST tonight
Pamlico Sound-
Tonight
N winds 20 to 25 kt...diminishing to 15 to 20 kt late this evening and overnight. Waves 2 to 3 ft.
Mon
N winds 15 to 20 kt...becoming NE 5 to 10 kt in the afternoon. Waves around 2 ft in the morning...then 1 ft.
Mon Night
E winds 5 to 10 kt. Waves 1 ft.
Tue
Se winds 15 to 20 kt...increasing to 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 35 kt in the afternoon. Waves 1 to 2 ft...building to 2 to 3 ft in the afternoon. A chance of rain.
Tue Night
S winds 25 to 30 kt with gusts up to 40 kt. Waves 2 to 4 ft. Rain.
Wed
SW winds 25 to 35 kt with gusts up to 45 kt. Waves 2 to 4 ft. Rain in the morning...then showers likely in the afternoon.
Wed Night
W winds 25 to 30 kt with gusts up to 40 kt...becoming NW 20 to 25 kt after midnight. Waves 2 to 4 ft. A chance of showers in the evening.
Thu
NW winds 20 to 25 kt...becoming N 15 to 20 kt. Waves 2 to 3 ft.
Fri
N winds 10 to 15 kt. Waves around 2 ft.
Old 24-11-2013, 18:17   #745

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
LOL...don't let it get you down, its only castles burning.(Annie Lennox)
I believe Neil Young is responsible for that line.
Old 24-11-2013, 21:48   #746

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Word of warning.. don't stay at the Town Dock if there's a wind shift W.. it blows the water outa the Sound and your stuck till the wind shifts again..
How do I know..
Good call, boatman. With his draft he very well could get stuck for a while with SW winds.

The water is up right now, with the winds out of the NE, but soon it shifts S to 40kts! Perfect way to get stuck. Jeez these fronts are coming fast and furious. Escale, there is a lot of wind out of the N this time of year, it is a good time to be doing what he's doing.

Scoobert if you really want to try a very nice marina for $1.50/ft, check out River Dunes. They are just off the ICW/Neuse on Lower Broad Creek. Very nice showers and laundry, I think you will be very glad you stopped there- trust me. It's out of town but they have a courtesy car to get to Oriental, about 10 min. Be a nice place to ride out this next blow.

Locals eat at Brantley's for an affordable buffet or M&M, and they serve booze. The shrimp and flounder at Brantleys is pretty darn good. There's a seafood industry in Oriental so if you get the right stuff it is pretty fresh. The lady down the street raises soft crabs, they aren't in season now.

Beaufort grocery is a good restaurant in Beaufort, so is Sanitary in Morehead.

Do you have heat at anchor? The make this portable propane heater called Mr Heater that you screw 1lb cannisters into. $75

Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Propane Heater — 9000 BTU, Model# MH9BX | Propane Portable Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment

Pretty cold at the coast tonight...
Old 25-11-2013, 01:40   #747
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by annsni View Post
Are you sure they refried it and didn't put it in the convection oven (which most restaurants would have done)?

i should have mentioned in the blog, it came back with grease running off it.
Old 25-11-2013, 01:48   #748
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Hey Scoob, enjoying your blog and rootin for ya!

It's cold as the proverbial witches you-know- here in NY so I checked your WX and it's not so good. Good thing you stayed inside. You'll see 18F tonight with winds in the 20's. (Hope you have heat). And it doesn't look so nice for you through most of the week, with strong headwinds on Tuesday-Wednesday so you might be wise to find a spot to stay-put for those couple of days. (The journey is where you are, so make it good) . I've heard Pamlico Sound can have quite a nasty chop... BTW did you get some Dramamine for those pups?

thank you!
i heard it was nasty. i will be home the first week of december...yuck.
i actually regret staying inside. we would have been round the cape and in SC right now if we would have stayed outside.
we are in a marina, our two big AC's churning out heat. they are still cycling on and off, so its not that cold ....or maybe 28,000BTU is oversized :P.....
we will be staying in the ditch for another few days after beaufort. i told the wife we should go experience 9-12' seas with 18' sets, she declined.....
as for the pups, no drugs. they will adapt quicker without. It reminds me of our first FL camper trip. they were sick as.... well dogs... on the way down. when heading home they were wagging and smiling.
they are already getting use to it, they know where to sit, and how to sit. they always get nervous when i shut the engine off, they know we will be heeled over for a long time when i do that
Old 25-11-2013, 01:57   #749
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
Good call, boatman. With his draft he very well could get stuck for a while with SW winds.

The water is up right now, with the winds out of the NE, but soon it shifts S to 40kts! Perfect way to get stuck. Jeez these fronts are coming fast and furious. Escale, there is a lot of wind out of the N this time of year, it is a good time to be doing what he's doing.

Scoobert if you really want to try a very nice marina for $1.50/ft, check out River Dunes. They are just off the ICW/Neuse on Lower Broad Creek. Very nice showers and laundry, I think you will be very glad you stopped there- trust me. It's out of town but they have a courtesy car to get to Oriental, about 10 min. Be a nice place to ride out this next blow.

Locals eat at Brantley's for an affordable buffet or M&M, and they serve booze. The shrimp and flounder at Brantleys is pretty darn good. There's a seafood industry in Oriental so if you get the right stuff it is pretty fresh. The lady down the street raises soft crabs, they aren't in season now.

Beaufort grocery is a good restaurant in Beaufort, so is Sanitary in Morehead.

Do you have heat at anchor? The make this portable propane heater called Mr Heater that you screw 1lb cannisters into. $75

Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Propane Heater — 9000 BTU, Model# MH9BX | Propane Portable Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment

Pretty cold at the coast tonight...

looks like a good next stop. only about 45 miles away. The place we are at right now is unbelievable. its a hidden gem. i have never seen free golf carts before, but here.... FREE GOLF CARTS!!!!

the only issues with those propane heaters is the CO. it can kill you pretty quick. (ask the Nazis) it would be nice in the cockpit thou...... hmmm. i have my eyes wide open for a used wabasto. rare to see them come up thou. once the gen is rebuilt next spring we will have heat.

EDIT: why is there fuel price $1 a gallon more then it should be?
Old 25-11-2013, 05:39   #750

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Scoobert...I know you are continually blasted with decision making but have you decided on where you may stay for the trip home...

S/V Water Wings
Closed Thread