Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 19:25   #1066
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

Scoob, if you are still in Charleston, do consider getting your alternator checked, or check out your charging system. If you are now losing battery #2, there's a charging problem and those have a way of becoming a charging failure at the least convenient moment on a boat. Better to lay by for a day, at your convenience, and get that fixed.

If the back pain is something new to you, it might also pay to have a pro take a look at it. Whether you prefer chiropractors or mds (and there are those of both who should be keelhauled) it pays to find out what you are dealing with. Sometimes fast intervention and the right attention can prevent a small problem from turning into many months of suffering. Sometimes, it just pays to have the problem confirmed and to know you are doing whatever can or can't be done.

I have a friend who admits to being a chiropractor, and even he will say that sometimes "it" just needs a few days of rest. Other times, pain pills and months of care. But if it gets worse and you can't helm the boat--you'll have a major problem. Worth avoiding that, yes?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:22   #1067
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

i am open to the idea of checking the alt, thou honestly i was just planning to have one built for me this month.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:24   #1068

Boat: contessa 32

Wow! This is some forum,every possible sailing/cruising advice possible.
Now we have medical advice too!
Lets not neglect affairs of the heart and how to hook up with women, some expertise would be helpful here; I never seem to get that right. Maybe Scoob can help here , is an all female crew the answer?
Old 03-12-2013, 05:32   #1069

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

I'm just not that interested in hooking up with women! Although if my husband ever dumped me...

-- beth
Old 03-12-2013, 05:34   #1070
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
Wow! This is some forum,every possible sailing/cruising advice possible.
Lets not neglect affairs of the heart and how to hook up with women, some expertise would be helpful here; I never seem to get that right. Maybe Scoob can help here , is an all female crew the answer?
my advice is: do not bring sister-in-laws on your boat, when they hate you.
i have some simple boat rules. the first, cardinal rule is: No, ready to eat snacks, can be brought onto the boat. i have control issues, and a foraging issue when hungry. i only allow York's, because if i eat more then 6 i want to puke. day 1, she brings HOHO's and cookies, and snack cakes..... after i told her not to. first person i ever thought about keelhauling. she was the most lackluster crew i have ever had on my boat. while docking one day i told her to affix a bow line. the answer i got? do it yourself. while i have no issue going out on deck, securing a bow line, and coming back, i do have an issue that neither her, nor my wife, can dock in a contrary wind.
The moral of the story, if they hate you when you leave dock, they will hate you more a week later.
needless to say my wife may bring anyone she likes on the boat, but her sister will not leave the dock with us again.

my rule on finding a wife is this: be 100% honest from day one. there are no surprises later, and if she does not like the real you, she can shove off before you like her. that's what i did with my wife. and i will never regret it.

want metaphysical advice too?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:22   #1071

Boat: Watkins 29'
Been following this thread from the beginning and it has been, and continues to be a very good read. Shoobert you certainly are a do-er and set in your ways that's for sure, but I gotta ask.. What wrong with ready to eat snacks? Seems they are the way to go for most of us.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:32   #1072

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i have control issues, and a foraging issue when hungry.
...LL
Old 03-12-2013, 06:44   #1073
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vogdes View Post
Been following this thread from the beginning and it has been, and continues to be a very good read. Shoobert you certainly are a do-er and set in your ways that's for sure, but I gotta ask.. What wrong with ready to eat snacks? Seems they are the way to go for most of us.

things i have eaten in one sitting, many years ago, as i do not keep them in house anymore. listed per sitting, not all at once....
48 packs of gushers fruit snacks
3 boxes of hoho's
3 boxes of peanut butter chocolate sticks
48oz peanut butter cups
24oz MM's
4 boxes teddy grams
2 pounds maple candy
2 pounds fudge
3 containers cake icing

thats all i can think of right now.
i am ok with salty stuff. we have goldfish, ritz, saltines, york's, hot coco. i am also fine with "cook before eating" we make cookies, cupcakes, ect
buy we make the baked items, after i have had a meal. sorry to be so truthful here, but admitting you have a problem is a key step to overcoming. my wife helps a lot. she has not let me buy these items thou i still have the urge to sometimes.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:52   #1074

Boat: Watkins 29'
Jeez I thought I had a sweet tooth problem.. You take the cake, literally...
Old 03-12-2013, 07:08   #1075

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Scoobert,

"while docking one day i told her to affix a bow line. the answer i got? do it yourself. while i have no issue going out on deck, securing a bow line, and coming back, i do have an issue that neither her, nor my wife, can dock in a contrary wind."

Perhaps your crew does not know how to do it to your standards and would rather have you do than listen to your triade. Maybe letting them get a little practice in less stressful conditions would be the answer. Also not every GUEST you have on board is a true salt of the sea.
About your desire for sweets, why would you forbid your quests from having some comfort for them food. Surely at your age you should be able to control some of your urges. LOL
Old 03-12-2013, 07:22   #1076
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutb View Post
Scoobert,

"while docking one day i told her to affix a bow line. the answer i got? do it yourself. while i have no issue going out on deck, securing a bow line, and coming back, i do have an issue that neither her, nor my wife, can dock in a contrary wind."

Perhaps your crew does not know how to do it to your standards and would rather have you do than listen to your triade. Maybe letting them get a little practice in less stressful conditions would be the answer. Also not every GUEST you have on board is a true salt of the sea.
About your desire for sweets, why would you forbid your quests from having some comfort for them food. Surely at your age you should be able to control some of your urges. LOL
If you cannot do as you have been told, your not welcome to call yourself crew on my boat. Its that simple. I welcome passengers. Me and the wife can dock just fine without help, every time. Calling herself a crew gave her a small share of expenses. VS a set rate for a passenger. she knew very well how to affix a dock line, we had that training on day one. she knew how to tie a bowline before we left the dock. she knew man overboard drills the first day in the river. If i "bark an order" (my wife's words) that's because it needs to be done. If i tell you to do it, its because you know how. I made this clear before we left the dock with her. Lazyness struck her on day 3....

for the control issues, everyone is different.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:40   #1077
cruiser

A technical writeup on boat ownership.
S/V Union Pacific : To be technical.....
Old 03-12-2013, 08:03   #1078
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

[QUOTE=mrohr;1405793]Wow! This is some forum,every possible sailing/cruising advice possible.
Lets not neglect affairs of the heart and how to hook up with women, some expertise would be helpful here; QUOTE]

Step 1/
Turn off the computer and walk outa your front door...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 03-12-2013, 08:07   #1079
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

scoob, Interstate doesn't say much about that battery but they do say it is a deep cycle AND that it is the newish "Pure Lead" technology (TPPL) like the Odyssey battery. That change from alloy to pure lead would change the weight, and make the plate thickness "different" from conventional deep cycle batteries as well. Could be a great choice.

If you're trying to wait for a custom alternator, I'd order it now, put a rush on it, and have it shipped ahead where and as convenient when it was ready. (Like to General Delivery at the next port, when that time comes.) Or pick up something conventional now, from a junkyard, and keep it as a spare later. Or lay by someplace for 48 hours, enjoy the hot showers while yours is rebuilt. Just don't gamble on a sick one lasting till you make Jax.

Hey, Boatman !
"Turn off the computer and walk outa your front door..."
Why waste time with the computer, if you aren't going to stick around for the electric bill anyhow? Whaddayou, an environmentalist or something? <VBG>
Old 03-12-2013, 08:10   #1080
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
scoob, Interstate doesn't say much about that battery but they do say it is a deep cycle AND that it is the newish "Pure Lead" technology (TPPL) like the Odyssey battery. That change from alloy to pure lead would change the weight, and make the plate thickness "different" from conventional deep cycle batteries as well. Could be a great choice.

If you're trying to wait for a custom alternator, I'd order it now, put a rush on it, and have it shipped ahead where and as convenient when it was ready. (Like to General Delivery at the next port, when that time comes.) Or pick up something conventional now, from a junkyard, and keep it as a spare later. Or lay by someplace for 48 hours, enjoy the hot showers while yours is rebuilt. Just don't gamble on a sick one lasting till you make Jax.

Hey, Boatman !
"Turn off the computer and walk outa your front door..."
Why waste time with the computer, if you aren't going to stick around for the electric bill anyhow? Whaddayou, an environmentalist or something? <VBG>
we are here for a while. i will keep the westerbeke as a spare. i also have to get a dual groove pully for the water pump.
good knowing the pure lead is new. didnt know that!
Closed Thread