Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2012, 15:18   #1

Boat: Dehler 41 Cr
Transport

I'm considering moving my 41ft cruiser to the BVI from the West coast either by land or water. Any idea's of costs or recommendations as how to go about it. Have considered sailing around but lacking offshore experience.
Captain G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 03:56   #2

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544
Re: Transport

The information that I am about to impart is strictly hearsay so I would investigate it thoroughly. I have a boat in the BVI's where most of my sailing experience was gained. First, the waters off of the US West Coast can be pretty hectic at times / It is 3000 NM from San Diego to the canal / The canal will take some time and cost approx $2K for a boat that size / It is a 500 NM beam reach to the BVI's from the canal unless you opt for the Windward Island chain, then it's closer to 1000NM, but with places to stop. I hope this helps! gts1544
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 09:21   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
I'm considering moving my 41ft cruiser to the BVI from the West coast either by land or water. Any idea's of costs or recommendations as how to go about it. Have considered sailing around but lacking offshore experience.
A lot depends on the season: going South down the West Coast about the time that the Baja Ha Ha is run is normally a good sleigh ride. Then you will have the costs of the Panama canal to consider.

After that, from Panama to BVI is a pig of a trip - but doable.

Not sure if a boat that size can be shipped by road but if so, it would be worth checking on the cost to deliver it to either the Gulf coast or somewhere on the East coast, from where a deliveries to BVI are done all the time and the costs are obviously much less.

Other things in the mix are: Time scale - it'll take a long time by sea!! Wear and Tear and engine hours - there will be quite a lot of both.

I'll be happy to quote for the delivery either all the way round via Panama or from the Gulf or East Coast.

Hope this helps!! Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 10:53   #4

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

By truck:

I had my Ericson 32 driven from Tarpon Springs to San Diego for $8,000 in 2002. The company that did it went out of business.

Good luck.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote