Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2015, 15:40   #16

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Re: Transporting an 23' beam Catamaran east to west?

Curious, why do you think it is a problem to sail, a boat that size is surly designed to go to sea. Or is it some light weight flyer for flat water racing? (does seem very wide an light from the numbers) Poor seaworthyness does not make delivery impossible but will up the cost as there will be more time in port waiting for weather. Should be in the range of 20-25K for delivery
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 16:27   #17

Boat: Lagoon 440 - Agape'

Saling from the NE U.S. coast to Panama involves three legs; one (NE U.S. to Puerto Rico) will be moderately rough due to fighting the Gulf Stream unless you hug the coastline to take advantage of the light, but useful counter current - at least to south Florida, where a relatively quick run across the Gulf Stream can be made to the relatively safe sailing down the Bahamas and eventually to Puerto Rico where there is excellant provisioning available to complete the relatively easy second leg to the Panama Canal. The third leg, however, is the killer. Sailing around and up the Central American coast and finally up the coast of California, will be against both the prevailng wind and current. If you are going to risk your boat and delivery crew, the only time to do it is December thru May - otherwise you will be in the hurricane season anywhere along the route, except for the California coast (where the prevailing wind and current against you will be the worst).

Unless you have sunk so much blood, sweat and tears into this particular boat that you absolutely can't live without her, I still think the best alternative is to sell her and buy a boat already there.
Kaptain Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 16:44   #18

Unless there is something really special, your best bet is sell and buy something local.

I used to do wide load permits and between a 16' max (with lead and trail chase cars) and a 16' overhead clearance max, trucking it as is, is not practical for cross country.

From the dimensions, it doesn't sound like an offshore boat making on it's own hull less than ideal.

That leaves sending it as deck cargo. Rough guess $20k.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 18:14   #19

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I looked into deck cargo for the west coast route and the yacht mover ship options. In 2014 there was nobody doing the route at any price. Only option was via Hon Kong!! Given the size and weight I assume she is very fast. That means you are going to be in the 250 miles/day range so much easier to use weather windows and even against wind an current you should be looking at a couple of weeks sailing time up the west coast. Give us a picture though as we are all guessing here.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 18:46   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Overland or by sea it's probably going to run $20-25k.

Cutting it into pieces may work, but you may also destroy the boat. Cross bars are highly engineered and welding them may ruin the temper of the metal. Unless you can contact the designer and find out what the alloy is its a guess if doing this will ruin the cross beams. It may be easier to remove them instead of cutting them.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 19:00   #21

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

I'll chime in again as I'm in sort of the same position as the OP. I'm looking at a big, fairly fast cat in Florida. If I leave FL say late October, is there enough time to get through the Canal and above the Mexican hurricane zone before the hurricane season starts again? Think of this as a delivery trip as there are compelling reasons to be back in the PNW. Our cruising will start from there when the time comes.

I have a lot of respect for the ocean off the West Coast of CA, OR, and WA, but I'll deal with that when the time comes.

Joe
jdazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 19:02   #22

Boat: Bristol 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystictimecat View Post
Hi,

I am new to the forum so please let me know if this is the right thread location to park this question.

I am researching getting a custom built catamaran from New London, CT to San Francisco, CA. The boat dimensions are as follows:

Length: 36'6"
Beam:22'6"
Height: 6'10"
Mast Length: 60'
Draw:20"
Weight:5,500lbs

I would love to hear from anyone with experience shipping a boat this wide. I have been told it cannot be ground shipped (too wide) and so far the over water options I have found are limited to one or two source and destination ports.

Thanks for any insights.
Welcome aboard MysticTimeCat!
I have no advice, only to say good luck how ever it turns out! Here I am fretting about how to move a Bristol 35 from FL to AL and look at what you have to deal with! Did you move to the west coast from the east coast? Would be sad to sell your boat so I hope you figure something out.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 19:16   #23

Boat: PDQ 44i

Panama Canal. It'll be a heck of a fun trip.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 23:58   #24

First, WELCOME to the forum!!

Now, on to the issues at hand. The vessel, as described, can NOT be shipped over ground. But all is not lost... Despite the naysayers, this trip is not all that difficult or complicated. It DOES require a massive amount of attention to detail and careful planning (Along with a WHOLE LOT of "Semper Gumby" (i.e. "ever flexible")).

Being in the business of in-water boat delivery, if I can help in any way, feel free to message me. I'll be glad to help in any way I can, even if you don't contract with us. Our primary concern is the safe delivery of your boat.

Warm Regards!!
Pirate1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 10:11   #25

Boat: Custom Catamaran, 36'

Mystictime - 36' Custom Catamaran Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

I finally dug up a pic.
mystictimecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 10:33   #26

I got a reply from Sevenstar. They'll ship from Florida to Victoria, BC. The 48' cat I'm looking at would be $37,200. Sailing you cat from Victoria to SF would be lot easier than going the other way from the East Coast.

Joe
Old 23-04-2015, 11:01   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystictimecat View Post
36' Custom Catamaran - 36' Custom Catamaran Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

one more.
Old 23-04-2015, 11:04   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate1221 View Post
First, WELCOME to the forum!!

Now, on to the issues at hand. The vessel, as described, can NOT be shipped over ground. But all is not lost... Despite the naysayers, this trip is not all that difficult or complicated. It DOES require a massive amount of attention to detail and careful planning (Along with a WHOLE LOT of "Semper Gumby" (i.e. "ever flexible")).

Being in the business of in-water boat delivery, if I can help in any way, feel free to message me. I'll be glad to help in any way I can, even if you don't contract with us. Our primary concern is the safe delivery of your boat.

Warm Regards!!
Hi Pirate1221,

Do you have any examples of your past deliveries you could point me to?
Old 23-04-2015, 11:14   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
I got a reply from Sevenstar. They'll ship from Florida to Victoria, BC. The 48' cat I'm looking at would be $37,200. Sailing you cat from Victoria to SF would be lot easier than going the other way from the East Coast.

Joe
Hi jdazey

How did that number sit with you?
Old 23-04-2015, 11:20   #30

About $13000 less than I feared. You can check to see if they'll pick up a boat farther north. I was glad to find someone who would do it at all. Even so, my wife and I are considering becoming east coasters while we get ready to sail over the horizon.

Joe

Tags
catamaran