Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2024, 12:19   #1

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i
Travel Advisory

A word of caution, Jamaica is under a level 3 travel advisory as per US tourism advisory board and sadly I can confirm this as accurate. We sailed from Cartagena to Kingston un aware of said advisory. I don’t believe it’s specific to Americans as we stayed mostly in an our rental car. Rocks thrown repeatedly and obscenities shouted with brief motor cycle chase because we were Caucasian . We stayed at a marina in Kingston harbor and traveled north and mostly east of this point.

The city of Kingston is also burning their garbage every night in the middle of the streets not sure if this is civil unrest or how they handle the routine disposal.

I feel for the people of Jamaica but I also feel it necessary to warn those thinking of traveling without thinking about their own personal safety. I am part of an east coast sailing club who coincidentally have received sad news of a couple who had gone missing from the SV simplicity.

Go where you are wanted, desperate people do desperate things.
Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2024, 06:16   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Travel Advisory

Went to look at the State Department list. There is also a level 4: do not travel category. Interesting to see Jamaica shares level 3 with Saudi Arabia
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2024, 06:35   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 50DS

Super sad about SV Simplicity. We passed the boat at half mile distance early morning Feb 19 off the south coast SVG.
rjwdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2024, 07:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Went to look at the State Department list. There is also a level 4: do not travel category. Interesting to see Jamaica shares level 3 with Saudi Arabia
Haiti is level 4, we passed it on the way to the DR routing thru the windward passage. We passed the north west peninsula and Haitis northern coast mostly at night but also during the day no sign of life . Unfortunately there were no lights visible from 6 miles out. The smoke was so thick from the making of wood coal I had an asthma attack and my eyes were burning to tears. My hart bleeds for the honest victim citizens caught up in a perpetual cycle of destitute poverty.
Old 26-02-2024, 23:28   #5

Boat: Island Packet 29

What level is Chicago? Los Angeles? Baltimore? New Orleans? I never hear travel warnings about these places.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 05:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
What level is Chicago? Los Angeles? Baltimore? New Orleans? I never hear travel warnings about these places.
They are not islands you sail too, or countries you have to check in and out of. This is a cruising forum not a travel blog, Those are first world cities with municipal services and their troubles and trouble areas are well known and localized.