Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2018, 09:19   #1

Boat: AMERICAN 2+2 MINI-TON 16 FT
traveler side lines - how to use?

My boat is older - no instructions. I hooked up the boom to the traveler but there were no ropes on the sides of the traveler - but there is a sheave on each side and rope clamp on each side of the boat.

Noticed this picture on the web and it shows lines on both sides.

I can add the lines but what is the technique for using them??? Right now , the traveler slips sideways wherever it wants to and I've found it difficult to be close hauled since the traveler tends to be all the way port or starboard but doesn't stop in the middle.
jimTheSailorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 14:00   #2

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: traveler side lines - how to use?

Add the lines and play with it; I think how to use it should become self-evident once you've done that. Haul on the side you want to move it towards, but first uncleat the opposite side.

Assuming you already have some line on hand, rig one side with the car moved all the way to the far side, then mark a suitable length with tape. You can then measure that length to know how much you need. (I've seen some folk rig a traveler with a continuous line, but I don't really like the loop it creates. Edit: it often seems to end up hanging in the companionway at neck height, but I suppose it needn't be that long. Using a single loop may make it simpler to uncleat the opposite side, as you have only one line to grab for both operations.)
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 14:25   #3

Boat: Cal 33-2
Re: traveler side lines - how to use?

Agree you need to replace the lines. Basically in light to moderate winds, you typically will pull the traveler to windward when going upwind. This in combination with the mainsheet allows to control sail twist and boom position. In heavy winds you will lower to leeward to reduce heel.