Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2010, 14:37   #1

Boat: trireme 38
Trireme 38

Hi new to this forum so hi to everyone.
Have come across aTrireme38 steel hulled sailboat twin mast and i am looking for info on the history of this type of boat and how it handles in different seas etc.any info will be much apreciated.
Cheers John.
Johnrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 15:45   #2

Boat: seawind II Patience
Welcome,never heard of it.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 00:22   #3

trirme

Hi Thanks for welcome,
Apparentley one circum navigated the globe north to south setting off from uk round the cape horn and up through the pacific the bairing straits and back to uk.
Regards John
Old 29-07-2010, 12:52   #4

Boat: Was Trireme 38 'OTO'
Hi I'm new to this site & picked it up from googling 'Trireme 38'.

My brother & myself built two of these, rigged as cutters from scratch, starting in 1979 & launching them in 1988. We lived on our boat 'OTO' in Southampton for three years then rented out our house & sailed off.

We spent three years in the Med, 18 months in the Carribean, 2 1/2 years on the East Coast of the USA. We then went back to the Carribean, then through the Panama Canal, across the Pacific to NZ. Then back to Gibraltar via the Suez Canal. We sold the boat in 2004. The boat performed Flawlessly, sailed well & looked after us a couple of times things got a bit hectic. I would certanly recommend them. When we built them we painted the frames & hull plates where they touched the frames, then grit blasted the boat, inside & out, when we sold our boat the paintwork inside & out was as good as when we built it. If I was to buy a second hand steel boat I would look first at the paint condition inside the hull, all steel boats rust from the inside out!!.

There is a picture of the boat here:-

Trireme 38

All the best,

Brian.
otodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 15:26   #5

Cool trireme

Hi thanks for the reply,
Wow what a voyage what can i say but i fell in love with the boat as soon as i saw it (but dont tell the current owner that lol) My brother is harping on about its steel, it weighs too much and will be much slower than a tupperware boat but hey what does he know, he of ram the throttle foward till the bow comes out the water lol.
I am waiting for the engine to be refitted so we can fly out and have a test run in the said boat, cant waitnot with my brother lol.
Regards John.
Old 30-07-2010, 04:17   #6

Hi Glad you liked it.

Ref it being steel, it performs just as well as a plastic boat. Our best 24 run was 164 miles & would have been over 200 had the wind stayed the same in last 12 hours as the first, but it never does!!. I will only go offshore in a steel boat as there is so much junk floating about at sea & whereas a steel boat may just get dented by a railway sleeper, other boats fair much worse. On our trip we hit a 45 gal drum 3/4 submerged & the trunk of quite a large tree. A steel boat sure gives you a better chance.

All the best,

Brian.
Old 30-07-2010, 04:47   #7

Hi Brian,
qiute agree with you on that,certainly a lot of crap floating about,Do you have any pics of your boats either during construction or whilst sailing would love to compare them with the boat im looking at.
Regards John.
p.s. my e-mail is rtippettl@aol.com Cheers
Old 30-07-2010, 12:26   #8

Hi John,

Yes I have plenty of pics of the boat, I will e mail you a few, but it may
be Sunday before I do that. Also if you register with Boatshed, the people we used to sell our boat, you can then look at 40 odd photo's they took.

The boat you are looking at, what engine does it have? & is it a Ketch or a Schooner?

The boat you mentioned that sailed around North to South was called 'Barabas'. We met the builder & owner in Kas, Turkey in 1993. It was constructed in Stainless Steel, a very well made boat,( the owner was always worried about crevic corrosion!!) the owner & builder was French.

Be great if you could us updated on the boat you are looking at.

All the best,

Brian.
Old 30-07-2010, 13:05   #9

Hi Brian,
Looking forward to the pics arriving sundays no problem,the boat is currently awaint the refiting of its engine a 39hp yanmar wich is out undre warranty,Have had all the floor inspection panels up and The hull inside is as clean and dry as the day it wa launched it has new hydraulic steering,new wyndlass anchor winch,some new sails,it is schooner rigged and looks fantastic in full sail but only seen photos.Built in 76 its oldish boat but has character and a little work on the inside and will look great.
all the best John.