Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2013, 19:30   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Trouble in Thailand

Another report of trouble in Chalong bay Thailand
Never been a big fan of this place
Phuket NEWS: Shots fired as Phuket yacht robbery thwarted.
At least this one had a happy ending...
Old 26-04-2013, 23:56   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Trouble in Thailand

50 foot Sunseeker chased by small yellow dinghy. TIT.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 02:08   #3

Boat: Traditional 30

Wow I like Chalong bay and have been contemplating keeping a boat there. As a place to spend time ashore, it beats the hell out of Patong -which offers little but "whores and stores" . But there are crooks in every country on every continent of this planet. We all roll the dice- no matter where we live there is something or someone that can kill us.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 22:54   #4

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Wow I like Chalong bay and have been contemplating keeping a boat there. As a place to spend time ashore, it beats the hell out of Patong -which offers little but "whores and stores" . But there are crooks in every country on every continent of this planet. We all roll the dice- no matter where we live there is something or someone that can kill us.
That's the only problem I find in Phukhet. You can anchor right in the thick of it all or you are miles and an 800 baht taxi ride too far away from anything.
Old 27-04-2013, 23:24   #5

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
That's the only problem I find in Phukhet. You can anchor right in the thick of it all or you are miles and an 800 baht taxi ride too far away from anything.
I am sorry to hear about all this, and I agree that violence and thievery happens all over the world. Violence and thievery and being out-numbered are experiences I would gladly skip if I could. It's one thing to be dumb enough to walk down dark streets with twenty dollar bills hanging out of your pocket, and a whole nother thing to be asleep on your boat and be boarded by a gang of ass-holes. I hope the latter is not the norm in Phukhet. I want very much to one day have my boat there.

How much is 800 baht in $$?
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 23:57   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Patong is hardly a year round mooring location...
800THB = 28USD
Old 28-04-2013, 01:09   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Patong is hardly a year round mooring location...
800THB = 28USD
28? ouch! been a few years since I was in Thailand - but I remember when folks were moaning when the rate headed below 40! Something to bear in mind for folks heading abroad long term into the 3rd world, especially on a fixed income.

Only went to Phuket (Patong ) briefly once, but seemed "organised" pretty much like the other Tourist areas. They are generally "safe" (apart from own stupidity ) because the sharks are scared of the crocodiles - in uniform and without (it's a public / private partnership business thing )......but go too far off piste (physically or simply with people) away from that bubble and you do need to have some of your wits about you. Thailand doesn't have a higher murder rate than the US from the locals smiling at each other 24/7 , albeit of course that mostly a local on locals thing. But Thailand reknowned for the innovative ways that foreigners commit assisted suicide.....

Having said that, same as everywhere - most of the locals ain't gonna cause you harm . But when they do they generally don't f#ck around . The good news is that guns an exception, and even then sometimes homemade! - the bad news is that knives and machetes the weapons of choice. and as the Missus said: "stab one time = no good........they angry you". But she was funny like that .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 02:02   #8

Boat: BOATLESS !!

I'm sitting by Chalong Pier right now having a cold beer while I read this thread.....if you take a look at THAIVISA.com there is a little more info regarding this story, Phuket and Chalong moorings....most crime is petty here where 'farangs' (Caucasian/expats and tourists) are concerned....the attractions are a very mild climate, great accommodation rental prices and inexpensive fresh food......I suppose you have to take the good with the bad anywhere in the world...definitely don't be put off by this incident.
Blue Antigua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 02:51   #9

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

I don't live in Phuket or Thailand but I am a regular visitor. I have never been threatened or felt any sort of intimidation. As someone had already said, you will find arseholes anywhere but on the whole ordinary thai are friendly, tolerant and accepting. The one exception is they are a very class structured society. Those that are rich or think they are "hi-so" can be insufferably snobbish and condescending, especially to their own people and farang they think are below them.
Having said that I am more often embarrassed by the uncouth and loutish behaviour of my fellow country men than offended by the Thai.

Tags
Thailand