Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2013, 09:21   #16

Re: Tuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
dried,salted tuna will keep for years!
been feeding the dog some 6 year old jerky!
Yep, Jerky can be made is a great stuff. Brine strips of it overnight and lay in the hot sun for a day or two to dry it. (asumes you are somewhere hot!)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 09:45   #17

Boat: Vd Stadt 34

Catched my first tuna just two days ago between Lanzarote and Tenerife. A small sized skipjack tuna, made one perfect diner at arrival. Hope to catch many more, the red meat was better then what I had in any sushi restaurant anywhere.

The lure, a redhead plug, was about half the size of the fish!
Bregts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 10:31   #18

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

I pressure can both fish and meat in a pressure cooker regularly. So has at least one other poster I know. At this time, any rumors of my death by ptomaine are somewhat exaggerated.

Pressure is pressure, and a canner is just bigger , judging from looking at mine.

The top prices for tuna come during Japanese holidays, when it is considered auspicious to eat part of a very large fish. It is also auspicious to pay for your clients to eat some of that big fish too, prosperity to come.
Old 26-10-2013, 19:18   #19

The pressure cooker I have will can. It is not the huge one, but would hold 3 quarts at a time. Get a book and see what you can do. We have yet to can but have worked with a food dehydrator.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 20:48   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Ever since I sliced a bigger tuna and saw the worms, I lost all appetite.

b.
U saw worms on a fresh tuna . SCARY. How do people eat sushi. Is it a bit dangerous.
Gpolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 20:50   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
dried,salted tuna will keep for years!
been feeding the dog some 6 year old jerky!
When u feed the dog with jerky. Is it salted. Is it good for dog ?
Old 26-10-2013, 20:53   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestathook View Post
I pressure can both fish and meat in a pressure cooker regularly. So has at least one other poster I know. At this time, any rumors of my death by ptomaine are somewhat exaggerated.

Pressure is pressure, and a canner is just bigger , judging from looking at mine.
In general, that's true, but it should be noted that there are risks involved with not using an actual pressure canner. Pressure canners are designed to reach a certain temperature, and hold that temperature differently than a pressure cooker. While you could technically can in a cooker, you can't just follow pressure canning instructions you find online or elsewhere. Canning in a pressure cooker would require substantially more time than published procedures for canning in a pressure canner. In other words, it's impossible to know with 100% certainty if your food is fully processed.

Not trying to be a stickler... just want to make sure all the facts are out there. I have a small side canning business so I cringe a little when I hear of people doing potentially dangerous things with their food processing.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 06:51   #23

Most pressure cookers reach the needed pressure. Watch cooking tomato/ oily foods. Try this for seafood help

http://www.gopresto.com/recipes/canning/seafood.php
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 07:20   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpolar View Post
When u feed the dog with jerky. Is it salted. Is it good for dog ?
this dog is our yard watch dog,and has not compained yet!

though she has taken to burying bits of jerky lately when she knows i still have sandwiches to share!

will try her on beer next time i am up there to wash down the salt
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 07:45   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

From a conversation with an Australian long-liner a few years ago:

The extraordinary prices for a big tuna are associated with extraordinary practices in dealing with the fish when caught. First it is very gently lifted aboard and placed on a foam pad which is bigger than the fish (and this is a BIG fish). Then, a specially trained deckie uses a device like a sharpened bicycle wheel spoke and carefully runs in through the head and down the spinal cord, paralyzing (and killing) the fish without the usual thrashing. Then someone, again with specialized knowledge, guts the fish through a very small incision, leaving the fish looking much as when it was alive. Then the fish is packed in a super-cooled brine bath (not flash frozen) and immediately transported to an airport and shipped to Japan.

Only with this sort of care do fish attract the extraordinary prices that we see bandied about. My friend's skipper had abandoned a offshore voyage early in it's process in order to follow this procedure when they caught a 200 kilo Bluefin. That one fish was worth more than their normal full catch so the economics worked out.

And re on board canning: we know lots of cruisers who have used pressure cookers to can fish, chicken and meats for years. None have had issues. Before on board refrigeration was common many of us did so.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 27-10-2013, 08:01   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
From a conversation with an Australian long-liner a few years ago:

The extraordinary prices for a big tuna are associated with extraordinary practices in dealing with the fish when caught. First it is very gently lifted aboard and placed on a foam pad which is bigger than the fish (and this is a BIG fish). Then, a specially trained deckie uses a device like a sharpened bicycle wheel spoke and carefully runs in through the head and down the spinal cord, paralyzing (and killing) the fish without the usual thrashing. Then someone, again with specialized knowledge, guts the fish through a very small incision, leaving the fish looking much as when it was alive. Then the fish is packed in a super-cooled brine bath (not flash frozen) and immediately transported to an airport and shipped to Japan.

Only with this sort of care do fish attract the extraordinary prices that we see bandied about. My friend's skipper had abandoned a offshore voyage early in it's process in order to follow this procedure when they caught a 200 kilo Bluefin. That one fish was worth more than their normal full catch so the economics worked out.

And re on board canning: we know lots of cruisers who have used pressure cookers to can fish, chicken and meats for years. None have had issues. Before on board refrigeration was common many of us did so.

Cheers,

Jim
Thanks... One day when i catch one huge one. And can have time time bring back to shore. Where to find the buyer! Just wonder.
Cheers
Old 27-10-2013, 08:08   #27

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Thanks... One day when i catch one huge one. And can have time time bring back to shore. Where to find the buyer! Just wonder.
Cheers
And how would you get a 200+ kilo fish aboard without scarring or knocking off any scales? These guys use a cargo boom and hydraulic winch and a big soft finish hammock-like thing with a guy in the water to get it around the fish. I sure couldn't find that sort of gear on my cruising boat!

Jim
Old 27-10-2013, 08:15   #28

Boat: Sinek, Pilothouse, 43ft

Quote:
Cheers
Often times there is a difference between commercial and sport licences for catching fish where it is illegal for sport fishing folk to sell their catch. Of course this rule probably changes from country to country.
SV Maclas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 09:34   #29

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If your man enough to land and get aboard a 400 lb plus tuna ! Then first your a better man the me !! Then after you clean it right and Ice it down and get it ashore, you will probley have to get a Commericial fisherman to sell it for ya ! as you don't have the right lic to catch and sell this type of fish ! We have been catching and canning tuna and lot of other fish for years ! Never got sick yet! just useing a pressure cooker!! Don't know but my mom and grandmother did this as well and no one ive ever known has been sick from it !!
Old 27-10-2013, 09:46   #30

Boat: Skookum 53'

To all whom are interested: All fish have worms. Whether you see them or not is problematical. You should cook your fish, not eat it raw. Brining and drying is an acceptable alternative. I like to soak tuna strips in soy sauce then air dry, very nice snack. As long as you follow the protocol for your pressure cooker/canner, you shouldn't get sick, we have used one all of my life and never gotten any kind of food related sickness. You do have to be careful and clean.