Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2021, 09:27   #1

Boat: Hunter 37C
Two Dinghies??

Hello Y’all!
I am wondering if anyone out there carries two dinghies with them while cruising?

I had a Walker Bay 310 (the 10’ rigid hull that can also be a sailing dinghy) that served me well for a few years but recently I have “upgraded” to a brand new Zodiac 10’ aluminum hull RIB. Mainly for the ability to put a 15hp on it and get places fast.
I have no plans to get rid of the merc 3.5 the walker bay had.

I am debating selling the Walker Bay but I am having reservations about getting rid of it. Since it is basically indestructible/ unsinkable and rows well I see it as a good backup in case something happens to the RIB.
While on the other hand it seems sort of impractical to carry two dinks. It would always need to be towed (which it does pretty well) and it’s one more thing to keep clean and worry about. It has a tendency to leak from the drain plug (a design flaw) so I’m debating spending the $100 necessary to properly seal up the polypropylene hull using 3M scotch weld and a piece of poly.

I don’t really need the cash from selling the WB though extra cash can never hurt and as always there’s a growing list of things that I’d like to purchase.

I don’t ever see anyone with two dinghies who isn’t collecting a flotilla of semi-derelict boats so I am wondering if anyone could offer some opinions here.

Thanks in advance for the responses!
Sailing Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 10:08   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Two Dinghies??

I think I can quote John Illingworth, who contributed greatly to cruising boat design:

"It is worth almost any sacrifice to carry your dinghy on board."

Towing really doesn't do the job, particularly if you get into nasty weather. But, I can understand your hesitancy - I own a Walker Bay, complete with the inflatable collar, and really like it while accepting that it just is not a quick way of getting anywhere.

The other feeling I get into is "Damn, I invested alot in this, it's valuable, and yet the resale is so low that it's not worth the trouble." I gave away a Laser last year for just that reason - I enjoyed it, but have too many toys, and selling it was not worth it. It wasn't the first item I've ended up giving away.

So, what's the utility to you? Sounds like it's pretty low and only exists if you tow it. What's the actual liklihood of losing the RIB, needing the WB, and having it there? What's the utility to someone else? Lend it to another family with kids? I can let a grandchild play in the WB but absolutely would not let an 8 year-old borrow the 16' aluminum with the 40 hp engine.

I've rambled. I recommend that you think through utility to you and alternatives to it sitting under a tarp in the backyard.
Old 20-02-2021, 10:16   #3

Boat: Colegate 26

I would only carry two if they served distinctly different purposes, or you had a lot of individual people on board who might need transportation to/from different places at the same time.

I'd very much like to have a quality sailing dinghy in addition to my Highfield. I just don't think I have the room for it currently.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 11:17   #4

Boat: Hunter 37C
Two Dinghies??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
I think I can quote John Illingworth, who contributed greatly to cruising boat design:

"It is worth almost any sacrifice to carry your dinghy on board."

Towing really doesn't do the job, particularly if you get into nasty weather. But, I can understand your hesitancy - I own a Walker Bay, complete with the inflatable collar, and really like it while accepting that it just is not a quick way of getting anywhere.

The other feeling I get into is "Damn, I invested alot in this, it's valuable, and yet the resale is so low that it's not worth the trouble." I gave away a Laser last year for just that reason - I enjoyed it, but have too many toys, and selling it was not worth it. It wasn't the first item I've ended up giving away.

So, what's the utility to you? Sounds like it's pretty low and only exists if you tow it. What's the actual liklihood of losing the RIB, needing the WB, and having it there? What's the utility to someone else? Lend it to another family with kids? I can let a grandchild play in the WB but absolutely would not let an 8 year-old borrow the 16' aluminum with the 40 hp engine.

I've rambled. I recommend that you think through utility to you and alternatives to it sitting under a tarp in the backyard.

You seem to understand the mental dilemma I’m in.

It’s weird going from something you can beat on with a hammer and it’s fine to something much more a delicate.

The RIB will be stored on deck while sailing and is never even left in the water when not in use.
I guess I’m more thinking if the RIB has a tube puncture or something like that which I know happens but I guess not all to often judging by the quantity of RIBs out there.

The sailing aspect of the WB is an added bonus just from a having fun perspective but it’s not something I have used often and the gear does take up a lot of space...

I like the phrase “what’s the utility to you” and will keep this in mind.
Thanks for your input
Sailing Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 12:48   #5

Boat: Grand Soleil 52

Sure, we carry two dinghies. One inflatable with 4hp and one sailing dinghy. Works quite well for us, the inflatable is stored deflated inside a locker during long transits and winter time. The sailing dinghy, which folds in two parts, is stored on deck under the boom. The sailing dinghy is more reliable and very easy to row as well. Last year we used only the sailing dinghy as the inflatable had a problem. The 4hp works well on the sailing dinghy as well for transport.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190806_152111 (002).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	232913
Old 20-02-2021, 12:59   #6

Boat: Pearson 36

I guess it depends on the size of your boat...and budget. I typically have a a RIB and as my back up I have 2 inflatable kayaks/raft that are sea worthy to get myself ashore in an emergency as well as for recreational/leisure purpose. Those rafts are designed for rapids and big swells - incredibly stable.

https://www.alpackaraft.com/rafting/
NorthernStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 13:01   #7

Boat: SUN MAID 20

Maybe loan it to a family member with kids for a year. You may find you prefer the WB after a while, & want it back.

The only people I see with a bunch of dinghies are liveaboards who never go any where.
silkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 13:11   #8

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

I think it's mostly up to the size of your boat (room for storage) and cruising area (need). If you're cruising in an area where you can get away with towing a dinghy all the time, you probably don't need to carry two dinghies. If you have a garage or something to store the walker bay, then do that.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 14:42   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

We have a 60' ketch and had room on deck so we tried it with our 12' RIB and our Trinka 10 (station wagon and sports car). After 6 months we sold the Trinka... good decision for us, if we'd had kids aboard we'd have kept it (sold it to a couple with kids who were thrilled). If we had Davits (we don't) it might make sense for island hopping since the sailing dink is so much fun, but we gave up. YMMV
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 15:17   #10

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

I think if I was going to really far off places where I wanted the redundancy of two dinghies, but couldn't afford the space, I would go for a fiberglass rib, and have hypalon patches/glue and fiberglass/epoxy for repairs. With my boat, I could fit a second dinghy, probably an air floor roll-up, but I might have to give up something else, like a folding bike or inflatable sup.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 15:18   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

I would absolutely have two if my boat were big enough.

I would have a 'taxi' one (a fast rib, a jetski, a hard shell, etc.) and a light no transom yoyo.

A yoyo is awesome for small jobs round the hull or if you need to drop it overboard in haste. A rib is better for getting supplies or reach a beach when anchored off.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 15:19   #12

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I think if I was going to really far off places where I wanted the redundancy of two dinghies, but couldn't afford the space, I would go for a fiberglass rib, and have hypalon patches/glue and fiberglass/epoxy for repairs. With my boat, I could fit a second dinghy, probably an air floor roll-up, but I might have to give up something else, like a folding bike or inflatable sup.

The air floor roll up would be my thought for a backup dinghy as well. Probably the least storage space of anything you could carry if you just wanted a second as a spare, rather than to use both.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote