Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2021, 06:11   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 cataran
Two EPIRBs?

I have just replaced a GlobalFIX iPRO with an ACR GlobalFIX v4 due to the former's battery timing out on the calendar. Due to the cost and logistics of replacing the battery, it made sense to simply replace the unit. The old one still tests "Okay."

The question for those who KNOW the answer, is there any reason not to keep the old one in the ditch bag, or even sealed into the liferaft canister at the raft's upcoming service as an "emergency, emergency" backup?
sv Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 06:15   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Two EPIRBs?

I keep my expired, but still self tests OK, EPRIB in the ditch bag. I also keep its registration current.
No one KNOWs the actual state of your EPRIB or how much longer the battery will live.
Old 17-10-2021, 06:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Grateful View Post
is there any reason not to keep the old one in the ditch bag, or even sealed into the liferaft canister at the raft's upcoming service as an "emergency, emergency" backup?
Two epirbs are actually quite good - if you fire off one the authorities know there is a 95% chance that it is a false positive (they will still start their process but often will not launch assets until they have completed their process of checking the emergency contact to clarify if it is a real incident) . . . while if you fire off two in sequence they will much more immediately and strongly believe you are actually out there in trouble. This is an actual thing.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 07:10   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

There’s no reason not to keep it. I have a 10 year old ACR PLB that I keep as a standby still tests ok. The only issue is the battery may not deliver the required transmit time
Old 17-10-2021, 07:13   #5

There's no formal reason not to have 2 Epirbs. On an Imoca for example, the class rules require two, if I remember correctly.

However you should consider the use-case of the EPIRBs. You don't use them constantly like a flash-light and whenever it doesn't work any more, you get the new one. You're going to use them never, except in dire needs and then you really, really need it to work. In this use-case, the expired EPIRB doesn't really add any peace of mind, as you would need a know good one at this place anyway. For the reason, the benefit would be to me only marginal for keeping the old one.

Another factor to consider is the accumulation of old junk over time versus the limited storage space on board. When I got my boat, it was full of spares, old parts that weren't working completely but still be used as a donor in bind. It was very hard for me to figure out what to keep and what to throw out - and I made a few bad choices about things I'll never need again. So if you can get rid of a piece you don't need, do so.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 07:40   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Remember , just after the trash is collected that piece you junked is just what you now need.

Tags
epirb