Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 03:25   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Typhoon Haiyan - MERGED THREADS

Hope that nobody is in the way of this baby.

Super typhoon Haiyan hits Category 5, an extremely serious threat to Philippines

Coops.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
re: Typhoon Haiyan - MERGED THREADS

tony on "Ahquabi" is currently in palau!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:39   #3

Boat: Contest 36'
It's been a busy season in the Pacific and yet such a calm season in the Atlantic.... I talked to someone who said winds could reach 200 mph (!?) in this storm. Never heard of that much, but I would hate to be anywhere near it.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:55   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
re: Typhoon Haiyan - MERGED THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
tony on "Ahquabi" is currently in palau!
tony reported that he had 35-55 knots last night with minor damage,the eye passed just north of them in palau.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:59   #5

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28
Huge Category Five storm ...

People still living in tents after the earthquake are in the path of this huge Cyclone ... may God protect them!

BBC News - Philippines braces for Typhoon Haiyan
eliems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:13   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Huge Category Five storm ...

Doesn't seem like God is in the business of protecting anyone.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:24   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Huge Category Five storm ...

is a very beautiful and horrifically intense storm. i hope it isnt as bad as it seems when making landfall.
all you in path---get safe and hunker down....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 13:27   #8

Re: Typhoon Haiyan - MERGED THREADS

from storm 2k...i am quoting...theere ar e different folks contributing to this...
¨It kept hitting the islands for more than 18 hours, so congratulations for still being a Cat3+ storm. lol. Though JTWC keeps it at 135 knots, and they aren't calling it a supertyphoon anymore. Haha.

The rain has stopped here in Manila btw..though right now we are experiencing wind gusts. I heard the winds are even stronger down in Cavite and Lagana provinces. I am just thankful that the metropolitan area was spared by the worst of this supertyphoon. Manila is the capital city but this urbanized jungle is still no match for 170kt winds.

There are no updates coming from Tacloban and Ormoc Leyte. The news anchors sent there couldn't be reached by any means of communication. The footage of the 10-feet storm surge in Tacloban is alarming. The video footage shows the water submerging the second floor of the buildings in Tacloban in less than 30 minutes....props to ABS-CBN for showing us the extent of Haiyan's fury at landfall. Now I'm waiting for James' footage..........

Typhoon Haiyan Brief Technical Report
http://www.observatory.ph/downloads/..._TY_Haiyan.pdf

Damage in Cebu
The Yolanda Aftermath in Photos | The Cebu Website: ZeroThreeTwo

looking around the area at places well away from the strongest winds including cebu. there has been significant damage.. tacloban may be in ruins.

It looks like the northern eyewall passed south of Tacloban. Not by a lot, but by enough to keep winds there in the cat 1-2 range.

Even if winds were only Cat 1-2, the storm surge could have easily been up to 20 feet in spots and that would be cataclysmic as well...

ugly scenario unfolding for vietnam with that forecast...

A major surge event could be on tap for Hanoi even with a Cat 1 storm winds. The geometry of that bay would amplify any effect and the Hanoi area is on a low-lying delta. What we're seeing might be only the tip of the iceberg.

hanoi metro has a population of over 6.5 million people...not counting many more millions in other areas...

Update: it's not 33, at least 56 are reported to have died..majority coming from Leyte.

I'm not sure what happened to that story, but its' precursor has a lot of video and detail that I haven't seen before. Almost 30 minutes of unique video and first-hand accounts (albeit in languages I've never heard)
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/33 ... hilippines

Official government figures have yet to be released but Super Typhoon Yolanda, said to be the most powerful cyclone to ever make landfall, reportedly left at least 56 dead as it moved across the central Philippines Friday.

According to a report by GMA News' Jiggy Manicad, aired on Friday evening's episode of "State of the Nation with Jessica Soho", at least 53 people were dead in Tacloban City and Palo town in Leyte. The province was one of the worst hit by the typhoon.

East of where? Associated with Haiyan or well east of the Philippines? There's another disturbance near 3.5N/143E which is forecast to become a TS and impact the same areas hit by Haiyan in 4-5 days. Probably only as a TS, though.

GFS has a TS with 35kt winds moving almost exactly on Haiyan's path through the Philippines. It reaches where Haiyan made landfall late Tuesday (local time). Euro doesn't develop this disturbance (now near 3.5N/142E) at all. So currently, it looks like a weak storm if it does develop. Develop or not, good chance of some heavy rain next Tue/Wed across the same areas hit by Haiyan.¨
Old 08-11-2013, 13:48   #9

Boat: valiant 40

Just waiting in Pattaya to see where its going before heading down to Cambodia. I feel for all in its wake.
Old 08-11-2013, 15:15   #10

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancoombe View Post
Just waiting in Pattaya to see where its going before heading down to Cambodia. I feel for all in its wake.

Are you sailing to Snooky? Or going by air/land?
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 15:26   #11

Boat: valiant 40

Sailing down oz
Cheers Ian
Old 09-11-2013, 08:00   #12

from storm 2k...
¨JIM EDDS is alive!!! Here he is in a message.

The Weather Channel's Jim Edds, in Tacloban, said there was a desperate need for drinking water for survivors. "We need it now, we needed it 12 hours ago,"he said in a brief phone call via satellite phone

Edds added that there was a massive wall of water when the storm hit, and described the current situation as chaotic. "Relief is needed here. Now."

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... hilippines

_________________¨

Super Typhoon Yolanda / Haiyan Hits Tacloban Philippines Breaking News Footage 1 - YouTube
Old 14-11-2013, 23:27   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Regrettably disaster response in the Philippines is organized at a municipal level.

It's a system that works well, at least until the Municipality is wiped out!

Otherwise disaster response is the responsibility of a committee of politicians. Works well if there is no disaster!

The legal framework is vested in an act that is possibly a little hard to understand and maybe even a little harder to act on.

There is a most interesting piece on the cause of Typhoon Haiyan here.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 20:48   #14

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

I was here near the Mactan airport when it came through - lots of wind but surprisingly little rain here. We got much more rain from a TS that came through a couple of weeks before which spawned a tornado that did damage here in Lapu-lapu City and across the channel in Mandaue City. My catamaran is in Tambobo Bay which is much further south although the smaller storm that followed was much closer. Bohol, where the big earthquake was centered, seems to have escaped without much more damage - Tacloban City on Leyte was mostly destroyed with estimated loss of life around 10K. The Marines got there quickly and I see their V-22 Osprey tilt rotor aircraft flying into the Mactan airport daily - also a lot of helicopter activity. Hopefully Monday I will go back to Tambobo Bay and check on my catamaran that is moored there awaiting an engine. There is now a US carrier group off Leyte - but many other islands don't seem to be getting much attention. Power and internet is still spotty here but getting better - the water is available most of the time now.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote