Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2023, 10:03   #1

Boat: Undecided - What would you suggest?
Typical Experience Requirements for ASA 104/114 Chartering

Hey all,

Last summer I got my ASA 101/103 and will be taking my 104/114 this summer. I was curious how much experience typical chartering companies are looking for on a resume before they would rent to you? I'm not planning on chartering for a some time while I keep building on my experience, but would love to have a goal to work towards.
zlehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 10:14   #2

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster
Re: Typical Experience Requirements for ASA 104/114 Chartering

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlehmann View Post
Hey all,

Last summer I got my ASA 101/103 and will be taking my 104/114 this summer. I was curious how much experience typical chartering companies are looking for on a resume before they would rent to you? I'm not planning on chartering for a some time while I keep building on my experience, but would love to have a goal to work towards.
Applaud you for educating yourself. Keep it up for your own benefit. We cruise on our own boat and see charters anchoring next to us in the Bahamas with apparently no experience. Maybe give some companies you may be interested a call, but doubt much in the way of education required. When we bareboat chartered in the Virgin Islands, companies offered a captain for the first day for a tutorial.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 12:15   #3

The honest answer...not much! I think if you've got your 104/114 completed, the best thing you can do is within 6 months (sooner the better) go do a charter on your own. Seriously you can't get experience until you get experience lol.

I did the same classes, then chartered a 37' monohull for my first time out on my own. It was easy, then did a 38' cat, then a 44'cat, then a 46' mono, then a 46' cat, then a 44' mono, then a 40' cat, then a 48' cat. Learn something new each time. Only advice, pay the extra for the insurance so you are not a nervous wreck and go enjoy yourself. Most of all remember, slow is pro!

Good luck!
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 20:17   #4

Boat: J/109

Check out the other thread on “where to charter with ASA 101-104,114”. Lots of responses on how to take the plunge. Someone will rent you a boat and you need to start somewhere, but obviously you can do it safely. Also look for opportunities to crew to get more experience on the water and learn from other sailors.
mochifanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:05   #5

If I remember correctly we had 3-4 weekend charters on similarly sized boats, a decent amount of crewing (but not sure if that mattered), plus the ASA classes when we applied for a week in the BVIs. I think they also wanted the resume of a second experienced person who would be on the boat (we'd done everything as a couple so that was easy for us).

Here is what they asked us to complete: https://www.bviyachtcharters.com/wp-...g-Resume-1.pdf

As our experience was on 35'-37' monohulls, they qualified us for that sized boat. Then at the last minute they gave us a free upgrade to a 42' so that was nice
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochifanta View Post
Check out the other thread on “where to charter with ASA 101-104,114”. Lots of responses on how to take the plunge. Someone will rent you a boat and you need to start somewhere, but obviously you can do it safely. Also look for opportunities to crew to get more experience on the water and learn from other sailors.
Haha yeah I saw that post right after I wrote this one out.
Old 11-01-2023, 07:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
If I remember correctly we had 3-4 weekend charters on similarly sized boats, a decent amount of crewing (but not sure if that mattered), plus the ASA classes when we applied for a week in the BVIs. I think they also wanted the resume of a second experienced person who would be on the boat (we'd done everything as a couple so that was easy for us).

Here is what they asked us to complete: https://www.bviyachtcharters.com/wp-...g-Resume-1.pdf

As our experience was on 35'-37' monohulls, they qualified us for that sized boat. Then at the last minute they gave us a free upgrade to a 42' so that was nice
Ah thanks so much for that link, that's helpful to see what they would be asking for.
Old 11-01-2023, 08:57   #8

FYI, I'm not suggesting that form is the "standard" or that other companies would ask the same thing. It's just an example. I think somewhere along the line we were also asked for two sailing references (but that may not have been the BVI charter) and we used the names of the previous charter companies as references for the next. As someone mentioned earlier, it's a bit of a game of building the next step on the previous steps!
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 09:55   #9

I have not had any issue chartering with just my boating resume. There has never been any questions of me at all. I come away with the feeling they just want to sell boat hours.
Maybe it's changed though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 14:00   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Depends a lot on the venue.

BVI: payment cleared...good enough!

PNW: strong resume required
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 15:55   #11

Used to work for one of the better known Charter company’s.
I don’t know the minimum acceptable. I was an instructor. Graduates of the schools basic courses. With discounts if they chartered a boat upcoming season.
Winter from February on was the start of sailing school season.
Many charters would be former students. CYA basic. Course as minimum Or something similar.
When ussing minimum then recent experience applies. If you did the course 10 years ago and haven’t done much since, good luck with the plan.

Students were encouraged to rent small boats for local day sailing soon after having completed the basic course.
Also to charter overnight on bigger vessels. CYA or PowerSquadron Coastal navigation required.
Which no’s these correspond to I don’t know but the CYA has a similar structure to ASA

So a recent basic sailing course plus coastal navigation class.
Followed by a resume listing some recent experience to show you are still current if it’s been a while.

They would still rent to sailors with no formal qualifications or courses if they had a resume showing experience.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, cal, charter, enc, men