Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2020, 09:29   #16

Re: Uk Citizen buying an un-taxed cat in the Caribbean.

On a similar topic.
I am purchasing a French flagged vessel in S.Kitts. Will be de-registering and registering with Jersey (Red Ensign).

I understand the French de-registration process can take weeks (maybe months in this climate). And this needs to be completed before I can register on the Jersey register.

One thing I am unclear on, can the boat be moved to another country during this time?
Specifically bringing it to the US, or Guatemala, or Panama?
AndrewA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 10:03   #17

I ran a yacht on a bill of sale for about 6 months under similar circumstances. Never had a problem.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 10:05   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
I ran a yacht on a bill of sale for about 6 months under similar circumstances. Never had a problem.
Assume you traveled to other countries in the Caribbean/US/South America regions?
Old 19-05-2020, 10:13   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewA2 View Post
On a similar topic.
I am purchasing a French flagged vessel in S.Kitts. Will be de-registering and registering with Jersey (Red Ensign).

I understand the French de-registration process can take weeks (maybe months in this climate). And this needs to be completed before I can register on the Jersey register.

One thing I am unclear on, can the boat be moved to another country during this time?
Specifically bringing it to the US, or Guatemala, or Panama?
You should be able move freely with proper sell transaction documentation that provides evidence of ownership.

There is a period of limbo between de-flagging and re-flagging, as one has to provide clearance of the titling in one country before titling can be registered with another. The boat technically remain registered until it is de-registered by the flag country. That is to say, titled registry for your newly acquired boat remains with France until France de-registers it and you register it under your named ownership in Jersey. At which time the vessel's flag changes from France to Jersey. Your vessels documentation and flag during the interim is the remains as the previous ownership registry and the Bill of Sale and related documents that provide for evidence of proof of ownership and title transfer that were completed at time of your purchase.

You are asking specifically as to three countries and thus will have three distinct rules as to their registration requirements / cruising permits / etc..

As to the USA which State might you be desiring to enter and stay in the State's waters or land? Determine that State and then one can then look up the number of days that specific State provides before registration is required upon entry of an out of State vessel, or a foreign flagged vessel [i.e., your France registered vessel until it becomes a Jersey flagged vessel]. 50 States / 50 different rules. Therefore as to the USA: The United States Are; not the United States Is.

Note that since the vessel is flagged [France] and will be re-flagged [Jersey] you will not be titling the boat with a State or with another country [Panama or Guatemala] upon entry to their territorial waters, but you may be required to register the boat with that jurisdiction or attain a license to cruise.

Likely there are also short periods of time for registration and / or issuance of cruising permits as to Guatemala and Panama, I am not fluent in Spanish so am unable to discern those country rules.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 10:19   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Uk Citizen buying an un-taxed cat in the Caribbean.

If you are a Jersey resident just go SSR till the registration is sorted then switch to what you would prefer. Its the most basic registration and does not prove ownership nor is it acceptable for a marine mortgage however it requires the minimum of info, last registery not being one of them, just a bill of sale.
https://www.ports.je/shipsregistry/P...lShipsReg.aspx

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 10:20   #21

Thanks for all the info!

My plan is to complete the purchase and application for de-registration.
Then sail to the US (probably Florida) to pickup a boat load of supplies. Then head south out of hurricane zones to work on the boat (hence picking up all those supplies).

Thats why I was asking
Old 19-05-2020, 10:21   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If you are a Jersey resident just go SSR till the registration is sorted then switch to what you would prefer. Its the most basic registration and does not prove ownership nor is it acceptable for a marine mortgage however it requires the minimum of info, last registery not being one of them, just a bill of sale.
https://www.ports.je/shipsregistry/P...lShipsReg.aspx
Unfortunately I am not a Jersey resident...
I am Brit living in the US (for now).
Old 19-05-2020, 10:24   #23

I came from Spain and went down through all the Caribbean islands and the paperwork caught up with me in Venezuela about 6 months later. I had it on full ships papers and it was required to be certified by a Lloyds surveyor there as there was a change of name.
Old 19-05-2020, 10:26   #24

For SS registry all you need is a UK address.
Old 19-05-2020, 11:26   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewA2 View Post
Thanks for all the info!

My plan is to complete the purchase and application for de-registration.
Then sail to the US (probably Florida) to pickup a boat load of supplies. Then head south out of hurricane zones to work on the boat (hence picking up all those supplies).

Thats why I was asking
As to Florida vessel registration requirements:

Vessels from a country other than the United States temporarily used, operated or stored on the waters of this state for a period that is not more than 90 days are exempt from registration.

As to Florida Use Taxation requirements:

Foreign-Flagged Vessels
Foreign-flagged vessels or boats holding a valid “License to Cruise in the Waters of the United States” issued by the United States Customs Service pursuant to 19 Code of Federal Regulations 4.94 are not subject to Florida use tax.

Enjoy your new boat.
Old 19-05-2020, 11:44   #26

Andrew2:

As to immigration control so as to avail your admittance [and that of each of your non-USA citizens or US Permanent Resident passengers and crew] to the USA at the port of entry [e.g. Florida] be sure to obtain a B1/B2 Visa to the USA while you are in the UK as the Visa waiver program provided to UK Passport holders does not apply to entry by private vessel. The visa waiver program applies to commercial carrier entry [airlines and cruise ships]. The Visa needs to be obtained outside of the USA, it is not applied for and granted upon arrival to the USA. Andrew you indicate that you are a Brit living in the USA which means that you perhaps already have the requisite visa to avail reentry at the port of entry, and / or you are a Permanent Resident [Greencard holder] in which case a B1/B2 Visa would not be required. But do check on your status of the Visa and of any of your fellow shipmates.

Presently because of Covid 19 protocols it is problematic to obtain visas as the US Embassy and Consulates are not processing Visa applications and not providing for the face to face interviews required to obtain a B1/B2 Visa for entry to the USA. It may take quite sometime to obtain a US visa. In the meantime be sure that your UK Passport is not nearing expiration. You will need a Passport with at least 6 months remaining time of validity to apply for a US Visa. If you need to get a new UK Passport start immediately as that also may take considerable time to process administratively and then you can begin initiating the US Visa application.

Reference link to US Department of State for B1/B2 Visa
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...t/visitor.html

B1 Business Visa"

Consult with business associates
Attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference
Settle an estate
Negotiate a contract

B2 Tourist Visa:

Tourism
Vacation (holiday)
Visit with friends or relatives
Medical treatment
Participation in social events hosted by fraternal, social, or service organizations
Participation by amateurs in musical, sports, or similar events or contests, if not being paid for participating
Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree (for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation)

Suspension of Routine Visa Services
Last Updated: March 20, 2020
In response to significant worldwide challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Department of State is temporarily suspending routine visa services at all U.S. Embassies and Consulates. Embassies and consulates will cancel all routine immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments as of March 20, 2020. As resources allow, embassies and consulates will continue to provide emergency and mission critical visa services. Our overseas missions will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time.

Services to U.S. citizens continue to be available. More information is available on each Embassy’s website.
This does not affect the Visa Waiver Program. See https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/faq?focused...20Proclamation for more information.

Although all routine immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments are cancelled, the Machine Readable Visa (MRV) fee is valid and may be used for a visa appointment in the country where it was purchased within one year of the date of payment.
We are aware of the importance of the H-2 program to the economy and food security of the United States and intend to continue processing H-2 cases as much as possible. For further information about the H-2 program, please visit: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-h2-visas.html

Applicants with an urgent matter and need to travel immediately should follow the guidance provided at the Embassy’s website to request an emergency appointment. Examples of an urgent matter include air and sea crew, and medical personnel, particularly those working to treat or mitigate the effects of COVID-19.

Tags
buying, Caribbean, grass, rib