Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do have a gun or plan to have a gun on your boat?
Gun - NO 92 57.50%
Gun - YES 68 42.50%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2010, 14:19   #166
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Who's heated...lol.... not me... and I'll bet Del's not gonna lose anysleep tonight...lol.
And opposing views are always competitive.... did'nt our Dads teach (ram it) us 'Winning Matters'
Its the boys at play....

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 24-12-2010, 14:20   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
With all due respect,
Who says?

For some, weaponry is a part of cruising, occasionally for reasons other than those which many have presupposed. If I was cruising with my mutts through the Queen Charlotte Islands for example, or the North Channel in the fall, I'd make sure that I had a bear gun with me for shore excursions.

The title of this thread is pretty clear. If someone is sensitive to the discussion, that's okay- avoid the thread. If one is offended by unfettered mammaries, one would not enter a topless bar no matter how badly they needed a drink. if you do enter, however, you lose the right to complain about the view.
It is a personal decision. I will carry, you may not.
Doing a survey on how many people do is fine. It is not necessary to debate this subject on this forum.

Whats Next?
How many cruisers are Christian and why that is better?
How about Obama and Brown supporters? Does a cruising forum want to get into that nightmare?

It does not belong here.
Clean and simple.
Old 24-12-2010, 14:27   #168
CLOD

Boat: none
[QUOTE=johnmcntsh;584736]............................How about Obama and Brown supporters? .[/QUOTE

I would be interested in a loose way on whether they are sailor/boaters. But I know Kerry is and I still don't think much about him.

Some of the other "examples" seem to just thrown fuel on a fire to win an agruement to no avail.
Old 24-12-2010, 14:30   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
It's not the topic it's the behavior of the posters. It's been a bit heated at times and not really what we would desire in all threads. It's not really close-able yet. This thread will end badly because strong opinions won't change. It's not that they should converge on one but it does get competitive. Competitive topics always end badly because - ain't no winners unless there are losers.

Why not close it right away? It would just come back as a new thread tomorrow. One good long thread every few months seems to satisfy most of the members that want one. We can have a little bit of a lot of things as long as we don't get a lot of some things.

Ironically I'm sitting here listening to "Gun Shy" by Natalie Merchant
I am in total agreement.
I carry, buts it is nobody's business. We have debated this ad nauseum in the forums and if someone needs info just go to closed threads.

Thanks to the Mod's.
HappY Holidays!!
Old 24-12-2010, 14:37   #170

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
We're going to do what we're going to do within limits, or get busted.
As for the comments it's basically rationalization of ones own agenda. It takes catastrophic experiences to get people to change their minds, either way.
Old 24-12-2010, 14:58   #171
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
and I heard him exclaim
as he drove out of sight

Merry Christmas to all
and to all a Good Night
Old 24-12-2010, 15:04   #172
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
As a poll I think it can be ignored as a useful statistical excercise, neverless an interesting one. Itsw certainly not representative of the majority of boats, primarily becuase "fanatical threads" attract fanactics ( I use fanatical in a proper sense). Hence to some extent youre polling the converted.

Quote:
Every year this government makes an attempt undermine our Constitution because they know it worked for hitler, stalin, mussolini and the communist in order to control the people. This country (USA) is founded on the people controlling the government. Once that's gone so is the USA. And if that's what you want, modus operandi.

USAians do respect the laws of other countries. And if they don't want us bringing weapons into port, 'so be it'! But at sea don't try to undermine my natural right to protect myself and family, whatever means they may be.
Like I said ,the carry arms in relattion to the personal protection issue , as opoposed to sporting or in a few cases protection from large animals ,is a political perspective not a practical one.

"But at sea don't try to undermine my natural right to protect myself and family, whatever means they may be."

You dont have a "natural right", all actions exist within a framework that society erects to preserve some semblance of order and due process, you arnt allowed to take the law into your own hands, whether its your family or not and that is as it should be.

wse must be close to thread closure as someone mentioned Hitler, isnt there a law of message boards associated with that.

Dave
Old 24-12-2010, 15:16   #173

Boat: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

You dont have a "natural right", all actions exist within a framework that society erects to preserve some semblance of order and due process, you arnt allowed to take the law into your own hands, whether its your family or not and that is as it should be.

Dave
Excuse me, but show me in documentation where is says we can not protect ourselves at sea. And how is it taking the law into your own hands if you're protecting yourself?
Sound like jiberish and I don't mean sails.
Old 24-12-2010, 15:19   #174
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
wse must be close to thread closure as someone mentioned Hitler, isnt there a law of message boards associated with that.
There is something to said for being right at the wrong time. I pulled a few military responses as it seems this thread has lost any sense of being on topic even for one that is wider than any we usually allow.

Dave, No about Hitler and yes about closure.

I refer all to the Chief's final words. I found it inspirational at this time and a perfect way to close this all up for now. So don't blame Dave! It wasn't a record but clearly a great effort! (we may sweep some of it up though).

I do hope all will enjoy a happy holiday season. We are a bit short-handed here at CF so if you all could show a little restraint it would be MOST appreciated for those few of us left to sweep up the trash.
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns