Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2013, 08:32   #1

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
unusual deck organizer wanted.

I’m trying to find a vertical deck organizer which will allow a rope to pass upwards and round a curve in my coachroof. I don't know what such a thing is called, but the rope comes upwards, over the sheave, then horizontal to the winch. It would be opposite of using a block and pad eye. I would want two banks of two sheaves, or able to join them together.
I've done a crude drawing to try illustrate what I need.
Old 23-06-2013, 08:37   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: unusual deck organizer wanted.

you will be making your work of using that line much more difficult. would be easier with blocks and tackles but then you might trip on them. why are you relocating your lines? which lines are these--sheets?? halyards?? topping lifts?? every turn the lines take is more work for you without the blocks to assist you in pulling the loaded lines.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 09:02   #3

I'll try to be more specific.

I want to raise a number of ropes from my foremast at one deck level, then upwards to the coachroof and back to the cockpit. I need the top vertical sheave on my drawing, which will need to have a retainer over the top of the sheave to stop the rope jumping out when slack.
I can’t find such a thing in any of the regular deck organizer manufacturers. They all have horizontal organizers or blocks leading ropes downwards then horizontal. I need something which will carry a rope upwards, then horizontal.
Old 23-06-2013, 09:10   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

jolly--please ask another sailor why that idea will not work, unless you plan on dock queening, during which it would be perfect.
if you desire to USE your boat as a sailing boat, that will not work, as you will not be able to use the ropes you have going thru all those angles.
every angle is resistance and resistance causes increased work as well as increased problems.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 09:33   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

I agree with zeehag. At least you should be aware of the downsides going in.

If you really want to do it, Harken and others make sheaves that can be built into custom applications. You could have a housing fabricated for you.
http://www.harken.com/productcategory.aspx?taxid=378
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 09:34   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

You can easily find various types of blocks like those used on a genoa track that would work for the lower part: regular standing blocks, hinged vertical turning blocks, etc but I don't know of any thing off the shelf that would fit the upper turn.

You still didn't mention the application. If something high load like a halyard or sheet you will really need to consider the loads on the deck where you would place these blocks.

Overall I have to agree with Zee. Adding all these turns will add a lot of friction and require much more work and power to pull these lines from the cockpit. Not to mention more lines running around the deck to trip on.

I'm removing all the multiple turns on my rig and running all my lines straight to the winch everywhere possible. Just works better, less to jam and tangle and much easier to control. Note that this is from someone that is 64 years old and not a professional athlete.

If you must do this you can always take a horizontal turning block to a machine shop and have it modified.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 09:39   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Here's a start....... Garhauer Marine Hardware -6360110

Old 23-06-2013, 10:41   #8

Thanks Delmarrey: those double sheaves will do the trick admirably, and I can easily fit a roller over the top to keep the lines in the sheaves. I can already see them with a nice teak encasing to prevent bashed toes.
I actually asked Garhauer, but they haven’t come back with that one, and I missed it myself. Well done.

The lines are: two controlling the fore course furling: the fore staysail sheet and outhaul, and later on, two tops’l furling lines.
As regards friction and resistance. There will be fewer blocks using this method than conventional routing using horizontal organizers. Leverage on the 1” thick deck will be negligible, because they will be bolted through with backing plates and the lines will be clean lead-ins.
As regards other comments: I actually don’t see that it’s anyone else’s business whether I go sailing or not. But for anyone who is interested the boat is nearing completion after a two and half year refit. Directly after the end of the hurricane season we plan a years cruise to Cuba and the Caribbean.

Tags
deck, wanted