Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 01:48   #16

Boat: Simpson 40 Catamaran
Re: Updates on cruising Indonesia

I heartily agree that having AIS transmit functionality being compulsory for foreign boats to broadcast their location 24/7 in areas where there is a history of piracy and is a huge separation between the affluence of even the most bare bones yacht capable of crossing oceans and the locals with a gross national income per capita of $3630 per year (2014 world bank data) is just asking for trouble...

One has to wonder, what is the penalty if there is an unnoticed loose connection between the ships power supply and the AIS transmitter?

David
SunnySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:09   #17

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySky View Post
I heartily agree that having AIS transmit functionality being compulsory for foreign boats to broadcast their location 24/7 in areas where there is a history of piracy and is a huge separation between the affluence of even the most bare bones yacht capable of crossing oceans and the locals with a gross national income per capita of $3630 per year (2014 world bank data) is just asking for trouble...

One has to wonder, what is the penalty if there is an unnoticed loose connection between the ships power supply and the AIS transmitter?

David
In fact I think it is likely so that the local officials can know when there is a fat sheep in the area whom they may readily seek to fleece. But it is an absurd imposition and has no wortwhile maritime rationale in this area. If they want to make some kind of difference to the navigational circus in their own waters, they could make a start with their own shipping and its attitude to the likes of navigation lights and signals. On the other hand, likelihood of enforcement in most of Indo? Close to zero. "The damn breaker just keeps popping out, must get it repaired, as soon as I can access the right spare. It works, but only for a few minutes and then.. 'pop'".
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:03   #18

Boat: Catalina 470

Wow, its unreal how the Indonesian government has made it easier for yachties to cruise the world's biggest archipelago and somehow we've managed to find a way to focus on what some percieve as a negative! The Indonesian government in their way is trying to encourage cruising sailing boats to come here, surely that's the bit to focus on.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:44   #19

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Wow, its unreal how the Indonesian government has made it easier for yachties to cruise the world's biggest archipelago and somehow we've managed to find a way to focus on what some percieve as a negative! The Indonesian government in their way is trying to encourage cruising sailing boats to come here, surely that's the bit to focus on.

Wow, you are rather an Indo gov't fan eh? And… of course it is good news, by and large, but surely you know, having sailed there it seems, that what officials there say will happen and what does in fact happen are two rather different things. And if they would like to make it so much easier, why invent this pointless new regulation? I repeat my question: must we be wide eyed uncritical fanboys of whatever it may be wholesale? This appears to be the thrust of what you are saying? What is your issue with discussing the downside of this? It isn't, by the way, particularly hard to "find a way" to see this as annoying, as well as absurd. If you want to be a Dr. Pangloss, please do so. But this is a forum, not a fanpage.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:12   #20

Boat: Amel Euros 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tientos View Post
We have frequently renewed our visas at Medana Bay Marina in Lombok; took 2 days each.
Seems like it's getting slower now. Our previous 3 extensions all took 1 week each. Currently we are here, waiting for another extension. Filled in papers Tuesday early morning, visa is expected to be ready next week Monday or Tuesday.

Sent from my XT1032 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rotorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:23   #21

I just renewed at Labuan Bajo which took one week. In Sorong it was 2-5 days. It was easy enough though.
So is there a limit on how long we can keep a yacht in Indonesia? I believe it is/was 3 years before needing to import? It would be good if it would become like Malaysia or the Philippines.
Cheers Dale.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:23   #22
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post

Totally agree 👍

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 11-11-2015, 14:27   #23

Boat: Simpson 40 Catamaran

But focusing on the negative is what we humans tend to be best at
Old 11-11-2015, 15:16   #24

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 52'

[QUOTE=teneicm;1959587]So does this alleviate the need to go to Darwin or other location that has an Indonesian consulate to obtain a cruising permit? Can one now just show up?

Hi Teneicm,the Indonesian Embassy/Consulates did not process CAITs; that is done by an Agent. Under the new regs, a Sponsor Letter is still required and according to an email from our Indonesian Agent in Jakarta, this letter will still do the rounds of the various government departments. The Consulates still arrange the 'Social Visa' for 60 days.
cheers
Old 11-11-2015, 15:17   #25

So is there a limit on how long we can keep a yacht in Indonesia? I believe it is/was 3 years before needing to import? It would be good if it would become like Malaysia or the Philippines.
Cheers Dale.

Hi Dale
It is still a maximum of three years from date of endorsement by Customs.

cheers
Lea
Old 11-11-2015, 16:05   #26

Thanks.

Old 13-11-2015, 00:57   #27
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

Thailand should follow suit as it is tough on timelines on boats

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 13-11-2015, 22:25   #28

Unfortunately that problem is laid firmly at the feet of stupid yachties! They were already given 4 days to clear in, very easy, and they abused the privilege! No sympathy there.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-11-2015, 22:51   #29

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We transited Indonesia with the Sail Indonesia Rally in 2014 and had an absolutely fabulous, over-the-top experience. At the time, the rally organizers took care of obtaining the CAIT for all participants and even got visa extensions for everyone when needed.

Granted, our experience was different from traditional cruising where you go wherever you want and stay as long as you like. However, we felt like we saw most of the places we wanted to see and were treated like royalty everywhere. All without having to deal with any bureaucracy.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 14:12   #30

Boat: Amel Euros 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tientos View Post
Hi Rotorman
Starting from the last question; it is apparently in effect as from the date of the Presidential Decree 105/2015 (google this for lots of information) as at 30 September.
I tried to find this Decree without success. Maybe you have a link, please?
rotorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Indonesia