Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2023, 08:35   #1

Boat: Hunter 33 "Cherubini" (1982)
Upgrading Lewmar clutches - installation process?

The clutches on my Catalina 42 mk2 are giving me lots of friction, I asked marina to see what they could do over winter and they just ended up charging me something and making them worse.

So I'd like to upgrade/replace them. I can't for the life of me find any Lewmar clutch installation instructions or anything that lets me know if this is something I can do easily. I haven't unscrewed or tried to dismantle the old ones yet since I want to know what I'm getting myself into first.

Can I just unscrew the 2 visible screws (I can see one on each end when I open the clutch, so I guess 4 total screws for each set of 2) on my clutches and place new clutches in there and is there a base plate that stays behind or how does it work?

Also for sizing, my old clutches (2 sets of 2) have a marking like "10" for one set and the other set of 2 with larger ropes has "12", so I guess this is some rope size indicator. Does "10" correspond to 8-10mm and "12" means 10-12mm ? Or what would be the right sizing here. I'm assuming I need Lewmar DC2.

Images below:

paulg222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2023, 10:00   #2

Boat: Oyster 435
Re: Upgrading Lewmar clutches - installation process?

I’m not a huge fan of Lewmar rope clutches but I doubt if changing them will solve your problem.

I’d start by confirming that your lines match your clutch. You'll probably need to send Lewmar a note asking how the numbers on our clutches match with the current product number. I think your assumption abou the size is correct but don't know. Then remove the lines from the clutches and clean the clutches with soap and water. Cycle the clutches and make sure the internal pawls are working properly, lubricate the friction points. I used to worry that his would cause the clutch grip to slip but it doesn’t.

Make some effort to ensure that the line from the fairlead through the clutch travels in a straight path. From your photos it looks like they may not line up well. This will cause friction and potentially bind the clutch.

If you decide to remove the clutch, the clutches are attached with stainless machine screws threaded into an aluminum plate bedded in the deck. The stainless fastener could bind in the deck plate due to corrosion. I’ve removed clutches on 2 different Catalina and didn’t have a problem.
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2023, 10:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuru View Post
I’m not a huge fan of Lewmar rope clutches but I doubt if changing them will solve your problem.
I guess I'm assuming that maybe some springs are worn out or something that would be too much of a pain to try to resolve, but I guess I can try cleaning/lubricating first before buying new ones.

But I guess main thing is it sounds like, assuming Lewmar hasn't change the screw hole positions/sizes on new clutches, that replacing them should be fairly easy if I went that route and assuming the existing screws aren't corroded in and come free easily. Right?
Old 30-07-2023, 10:29   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Your line diameter is too large or they aren’t fully open if it’s about friction while letting line out. With mine the handles go 180 degrees.

I agree with Tsuru that replacement won’t help. The only spring for helping it close; i.e. a worn out or missing spring results in not grabbing the line.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2023, 11:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Your line diameter is too large or they aren’t fully open if it’s about friction while letting line out. With mine the handles go 180 degrees.

I agree with Tsuru that replacement won’t help. The only spring for helping it close; i.e. a worn out or missing spring results in not grabbing the line.
If you look at the pics, yes it can be argued the blue line is too big, but the main sheet white line seems to have a decent amount of space around it, I think it is unlikely that it is too big for clutch.

The clutches fully open and still have friction. The pic I show with one handle at 90deg is not me showing it fully open, just a pic of the general setup (I was also just trying to find where the screws were), when fully open the handle comes all the way down. So mine also go 180 deg, that is not the issue.
Old 30-07-2023, 15:11   #6

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Just a question, but have these ever been cleaned and lubricated? Regular maintenance goes a long way on most mechanical devices.
Old 30-07-2023, 15:30   #7

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Here's a diagram. When servicing the clutch, have a good look at parts 8 and 20.Lewmar_D1_Clutch.pdf
Old 01-08-2023, 02:58   #8

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Have used these clutches for about 25 yrs on. Catalina 42 mk 2 ,many thousands of miles ,yes the numbers indicate the line size ,simple to clean re move the lines and pour boiling water over the open clutches ,followed by some fresh water with a little detergent ,finish off with more boiling water ,come up like new .⚓️⛵️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:17   #9

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Lewmars have a very narrow rope size range per clutch. Example 8-10mm or 10-12mm when Spinlock is 6-10mm and 8-14mm. Therefore you must ensure your line is in good working order and of the proper size.

The handle should open 180 degrees to fully release the line.

Typically they are mounted with bolts with backing plate or washers on the underside. Nothing difficult. If you replace like for like the holes will likely line up. They key thing is to ensure the line enters and exits the clutch as straight as possible. This means, the initial install may not be optimal and will need fixing.
Old 14-08-2023, 13:36   #10

[QUOTE=FlyingScot;3807431]Lewmars have a very narrow rope size range per clutch. Example 8-10mm or 10-12mm when Spinlock is 6-10mm and 8-14mm. Therefore you must ensure your line is in good working order and of the proper size.

/QUOTE]

I measured my halyard with a calipers and it comes to .590 inches, which is weird. Are 1/2 lines really .500 inches or do they have some other real diameter (like 2x4 boards are not really 2" x 4")?

Picture is here:

(clutches do open 180 degrees see my other response on this)
Old 14-08-2023, 13:47   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

[QUOTE=paulg222;3811914]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Lewmars have a very narrow rope size range per clutch. Example 8-10mm or 10-12mm when Spinlock is 6-10mm and 8-14mm. Therefore you must ensure your line is in good working order and of the proper size.

/QUOTE]

I measured my halyard with a calipers and it comes to .590 inches, which is weird. Are 1/2 lines really .500 inches or do they have some other real diameter (like 2x4 boards are not really 2" x 4")?

Picture is here:

(clutches do open 180 degrees see my other response on this)
That is StaSet 14mm which is 9/16”
What was the clutch rating?

Edit: I read back: you have 10mm and 12mm clutches… I thought Lewmar has a range, like 10-14mm etc.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 20:18   #12

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

If your line is 0.59 inches that is almost 15mm. Your clutch is rated for 10-12mm. That would be an obvious problem. However, watch this then measure again and let's see.
Old 16-08-2023, 14:46   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
... However, watch this then measure again and let's see.
Yeah this is a helpful video thanks, I will measure again using this guys techniques. I'm guessing if I apply some tension and smooth it out the diameter comes out a lot closer to 1/2" but we will see.

Tags
clutch, installation, lewmar