Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2023, 19:01   #16

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: US Coastal Navigation Rules

My initial thought was it might avoid a great many headaches to avoid non-US registration until you were ready to leave US waters, but a bit of reading suggests that's problematic. I.e. if you registered the boat in Maryland, US Customs would still consider the boat to be Ukrainian: since it's not US-flagged, from their perspective it takes on the nationality of its owner.

I do think a cruising permit might be the simplest route; I'm sure others here have obtained one and can speak to the requirements. These guys should also be able to assist with questions.

One other idea that comes to mind is to do it as a bareboat charter and have ownership transfer at the end of the charter period, but I suspect arranging that would be messier.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2023, 10:54   #17

Boat: Beneteau 361

Cruising license is only available to certain countries of registration and Poland is not on the list. Ref: 19 CFR § 4.94 (b)
skalashn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 06:44   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

If you could, I would get it titled in the USA in your name.

Sail all you want under USA flag.

Do the paperwork in Poland and when ready sail to Europe (or maybe better transfer via ship)

my two cents.

cheers
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 14:26   #19

In Maryland, you can definitely title & register the boat as a foreign citizen. I've done that, but I did have a social security number, and I'm not sure if that is necessary or not.

With a Maryland title and registration, you will get Maryland registration stickers, and
can cruise the East coast of the US without issue.

Very many boats cruise up and down the coast without a coast guard registration, having only a state registration. I've crossed into the Bahamas without a coast guard registration, which I could tell they weren't happy about, but it was not a problem.

You can not register the boat with the US coast guard as a foreign national.

Note of caution: If you title & register the boat in Maryland, you may need to pay taxes on it.

I live in Maryland, not far from Baltimore, reach out to me if I can help.
jheyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 16:30   #20

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Most states I have been in don't require any particular ID to register a boat, and you can use any old address anywhere in the USA in my experience. For example, I have registered boats in RI, MA, SC, VT and ME using a NY address, no ID required. Some states do require a boater education certificate, but not all. I have one from NY but have never been asked to show it anywhere.
Old 20-10-2023, 19:43   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Much of the advice here will confuse anyone but Americans. Registration, License, Documentation & Permit have different meanings in every other country.

What Americans calls "USCG Documentation" ... everyone else calls " Registration".
What Americans call " Registration" ... Many others call "Licensing"
It's not a "Cruising Permit" in the US, it's a "Cruising License"

A US Cruising License does not say a vessel "must report upon arrival at each port", it says "each port or place". Photo below is an excerpt from our last "Cruising License" showing this point.

One complication is that a "Cruising License" cannot be acquired from inside the US. it must be acquired before entering the US.

Another complication as someoe already mentioned is that Ukraine is not on CBP's list of countries approved for a "Cruising License".

A Ukranian with a state address may State Register a state vessel but that does not relieve them of the requirement for a visa which has a different set of limitations than the State Registration of the vessel.

If the OP 'Registers" the boat in Ukraine or another country, the only way he can move the vessel is under a CBP "Permit to Proceed". This is even more onerous than a "Cruising License". Under a "Permit to Proceed" which must be purchased ($15) in person at a port of entry, each time he stops the boat.
So if you anchor in an out of the way place, one must go ashore and hitch a ride to the nearest customs office, pay your $15 (plus tax)then repeat every time you stop the boat.

Ask me how I know this s**t.

Getting State Registration will probably work if the OP handles the visa issue properly but it ain't gona be easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cruising License Port or Place.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	282367  
Old 21-10-2023, 18:00   #22

Boat: Johnson 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
Do the paperwork in Poland and when ready sail to Europe (or maybe better transfer via ship)
cheers
Transporting a yacht by ship to Europe is a good idea. Do you have similar experience? Do you know how this can be done and approximately how much it will cost?
Old 21-10-2023, 18:03   #23

Boat: Johnson 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Much of the advice here will confuse anyone but Americans. Registration, License, Documentation & Permit have different meanings in every other country.

What Americans calls "USCG Documentation" ... everyone else calls " Registration".
What Americans call " Registration" ... Many others call "Licensing"
It's not a "Cruising Permit" in the US, it's a "Cruising License"...
Yes you are right. This is exactly what happens.
Old 21-10-2023, 18:12   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleksandr63 View Post
Transporting a yacht by ship to Europe is a good idea. Do you have similar experience? Do you know how this can be done and approximately how much it will cost?
Last one I handled was a 94' motoryacht from the Welland Canal to Fort Lauderdale. It cost $110,000US
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2179.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	282409  
Old 21-10-2023, 21:08   #25

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleksandr63 View Post
Try these guys for shipping costs:
https://www.petersandmay.com/en/

Tags
navigation, rule