Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2018, 02:17   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Maldives
US/EU commercial war and boat prices

I was reading about this situation that involves also boats: since a few months importing a US boat, beside many other things, to EU will cost 25% more. It's a retaliation for the new Trump's policy with other imports from EU.
Now i was wondering if this also include used boats or transactions done between privates.
Anybody got info on this one?
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:55   #2

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: US/EU commercial war and boat prices

You have to ask your customs office in the US/(or EU - on which side you are), this are US/(EU) import taxes. However, if you keep it foreign flagged and do not sail in US (EU) waters, you may be fine.

In general, it is a good thing to sort out trade imbalances. US products are charged import taxes in the EU for ages, many are not even allowed to be imported - it is fair to fight back for the US.

Same for China btw., I wish the EU would join in the US approach to bring China to fair trade. They have import taxes, in fact they insist on domestic production of the foreign goods by keeping a 51% majority on the to be established joint ventures in state ownership, they steal intellectual property and counterfeit many patented foreign inventions. Nothing fair about it.

Trump's economic war is a good thing even for the people in Europe on the long run, it shakes the status-quo up to enable change for the better.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:21   #3

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
In general, it is a good thing to sort out trade imbalances. US products are charged import taxes in the EU for ages, many are not even allowed to be imported - it is fair to fight back for the US.
Do EU products not attract taxes in the US? I would find that odd if not considering that there is no trade deal. If so, then isn't the above statement invalid.

In the UK at least, imported items may or may not attract import tax depending on what they are, but they will attract VAT. I have bought US goods that didn't fall into the import tax bracket in past.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:28   #4
Marine Service Provider

Well, it' not my intention to get into a right/wrong discussion, even if i think that till a certain point i am for a sort of protectionism so it's ok. But here I just will to know if importing a used boat to EU from US will cost me 25% more, in that case i'll have to wipe it off my mind (sadly).
I tried to see online in customs and EU sites but didn't find anything about used boats...
Old 01-10-2018, 03:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki View Post
Well, it' not my intention to get into a right/wrong discussion, even if i think that till a certain point i am for a sort of protectionism so it's ok. But here I just will to know if importing a used boat to EU from US will cost me 25% more, in that case i'll have to wipe it off my mind (sadly).
I tried to see online in customs and EU sites but didn't find anything about used boats...

bey boat in us or eu and keep in in mariner in Morocco keep and you win,win
oldtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:06   #6

Quote:
You really have to approach your customs office in your jurisdiction and ask. VAT will be attracted for sure, and a import tax on top may be attracted too based on current value and country of origin. You also may need to do a CE-certification process (expensive!) and boat measurement to comply to EU regulations if the vessel was not built to EU standards / EU market.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:10   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... Trump's economic war is a good thing even for the people in Europe on the long run, it shakes the status-quo up to enable change for the better.
That’s certainly one opinion.
Nevertheless, the American public isn’t convinced that Europe is taking advantage of the United States in trade.
A majority (56 percent) believes that the E.U. is a fair trader, according to a recent Gallup survey. Only 29 percent say the E.U. trades unfairly.
Roughly half of American voters (49 percent) believe raising tariffs and barriers to imports will do more to raise the cost of goods and hurt the economy, according to a recent Wall Street Journal/NBC News survey. Just a quarter believe that such action will protect American jobs and help the economy.
Results from a Fox News poll released on July 13 show more than half the public (53 percent) disapproves of Trump’s handling of trade policy — while only 41 percent approve.
A recent CNN poll had a similar finding: 50 percent of U.S. adults disapproved of the president’s handling of foreign trade, while only 39 percent approved. However, there’s a large partisan divide: 82 percent of Democrats disapproved, while 79 percent of Republicans approved.
Probably not a good & productive subject for discussion, on this Forum.

Meanwhile, back on the “home front”: Canada, U.S. have reached a NAFTA deal - now called the USMCA
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/naf...rump-1.4844623

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:18   #8

I am on the other side of the isle, in the EU.

And I do see import regulations of US goods, that cannot be purchased here or have import taxes on them. I welcome the current dialogue initiated by the US and hope it will end up in lower tariffs for all and free trade.

EU is very protectionist to outside trade IMO and over-regulated. It starts with wattage of light bulbs and vacuum cleaners and ends to bend angles and sizes of bananas and cucumbers,. it is a nightmare. I am not blaming the US at all.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:42   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: US/EU commercial war and boat prices

Quote:
All you will be liable for on a second hand boat is VAT.. and any costs to make her CE Compliant if or when you wish to sell her in the EU.. if she is not already certified.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:03   #10

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
That’s certainly one opinion.
Nevertheless, the American public isn’t convinced that Europe is taking advantage of the United States in trade.
A majority (56 percent) believes that the E.U. is a fair trader, according to a recent Gallup survey. Only 29 percent say the E.U. trades unfairly.
Roughly half of American voters (49 percent) believe raising tariffs and barriers to imports will do more to raise the cost of goods and hurt the economy, according to a recent Wall Street Journal/NBC News survey. Just a quarter believe that such action will protect American jobs and help the economy.
Results from a Fox News poll released on July 13 show more than half the public (53 percent) disapproves of Trump’s handling of trade policy — while only 41 percent approve.
A recent CNN poll had a similar finding: 50 percent of U.S. adults disapproved of the president’s handling of foreign trade, while only 39 percent approved. However, there’s a large partisan divide: 82 percent of Democrats disapproved, while 79 percent of Republicans approved.
Probably not a good & productive subject for discussion, on this Forum.

Meanwhile, back on the “home front”: Canada, U.S. have reached a NAFTA deal - now called the USMCA
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/naf...rump-1.4844623
Your PM was quoted as saying USMCA is a great thing for Canada’s economy. I believe this dialogue started with Trump’s accurate belief that NAFTA was unfair to the US. Now all 3 countries have a economic trade plan that will benefit all sides. I’ve already begun manufacturing MCGA hats for my northern neighbors.

The stats you referenced are being reported from a media that can’t stand Trump as well from a majority of the US people that get their news from Colber on late night TV. The US economy is strong because of Trumps Administration and his business experience. Trump wants CA and the EUs economy just as strong because that’s good for US manufacturing but he wants to get a fair deal as well.

As someone pointed out, the EU was already taxing US goods especially those in direct competition with EU manufacturers. These tariff wars may sting for a bit but in the end a deal will be reached.
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:23   #11
Marine Service Provider

It was not easy at all to get an answer even from specialized companies, anyway, spoke with portuguese customs, belgian and italian, and the answer is YES.
No matter if new, or old or used: today if you have to import a boat to EU you have to pay around 50% (more or less depending on country VAT) over declared value.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:23   #12

As said above.
On import You have to pay VAT of the country (it's not the same among EU countries) and 25% of import tax:
http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/doc...doc_156909.pdf

If You are moving for living from USA to UE - You can treat boat as a resettlement property - import tax doesn't apply.

If You not importing - just sailing in- other taxation laws apply:
https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custom...ats-faq_en.pdf

--
Hubert
Hubert79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:25   #13

Boat: C&C 34

This thread is going no where good. Thank goodness for the ignore button.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:49   #14

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Quote:
You have to ask your customs office in the US/(or EU - on which side you are), this are US/(EU) import taxes. However, if you keep it foreign flagged and do not sail in US (EU) waters, you may be fine.

Same for China btw., I wish the EU would join in the US approach to bring China to fair trade. They have import taxes, in fact they insist on domestic production of the foreign goods by keeping a 51% majority on the to be established joint ventures in state ownership, they steal intellectual property and counterfeit many patented foreign inventions. Nothing fair about it.

Trump's economic war is a good thing even for the people in Europe on the long run, it shakes the status-quo up to enable change for the better.
agree.... the trade imbalance has been against us for way too long.
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:21   #15

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
I am on the other side of the isle, in the EU.

And I do see import regulations of US goods, that cannot be purchased here or have import taxes on them. I welcome the current dialogue initiated by the US and hope it will end up in lower tariffs for all and free trade.

EU is very protectionist to outside trade IMO and over-regulated. It starts with wattage of light bulbs and vacuum cleaners and ends to bend angles and sizes of bananas and cucumbers,. it is a nightmare. I am not blaming the US at all.
All countries use protective tariffs. The US import duty on pickup trucks is 25%, hence almost all the trucks sold in the US are domestic made. The US 80 year old temporary import protection for sugar is around 88%.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, commercial, price