Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2018, 13:27   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: US to Virgins - a Trip Description and What the Virgins are like after the Storm

I feel what carsten is talking about, though. Maybe it's because our boats are our homes, but the sight of so many dead boats, all at once, for me, it's sort of like finding the bones from a mass murder site from ancient times. It is very sad-making. And, it's a reminder of one's own mortality, and frailty before forces of nature.

Ann
Old 25-02-2018, 14:41   #17

Re: US to Virgins - a Trip Description and What the Virgins are like after the Storm

Quote:
I would suggest the Bight on Norman Island, where Pirates (but not the Willy T) are functioning.
Is there any news at all about the Willy T?
Is the boat still on the beach?
Is it salvageable?
Are there plans to replace it?

Thanks, their website doesn't say much.
Old 26-02-2018, 06:05   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Is there any news at all about the Willy T?
Is the boat still on the beach?
Is it salvageable?
Are there plans to replace it?

Thanks, their website doesn't say much.
As of a couple of weeks ago, it was still on the beach. An ill-fated attempt to pull it off resulted in the very big crane's strap parting, and the arm of the crane bouncing back hard, breaking it off. It crashed down onto another vessel on the barge, damaging it spectacularly. Quite a mess, but I don't think anyone got hurt.

Since an attempt was made, I assume another one will be or has been made, but I don't know the result...guessing it's still on the beach.

A new Willy T has been located in the US, and my understanding is that it is already on its way. Bigger and better!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 06:23   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
As of a couple of weeks ago, it was still on the beach. An ill-fated attempt to pull it off resulted in the very big crane's strap parting, and the arm of the crane bouncing back hard, breaking it off. It crashed down onto another vessel on the barge, damaging it spectacularly. Quite a mess, but I don't think anyone got hurt.

Since an attempt was made, I assume another one will be or has been made, but I don't know the result...guessing it's still on the beach.

A new Willy T has been located in the US, and my understanding is that it is already on its way. Bigger and better!
Thank you sir! Sorry to hear about the failed rescue attempt, but glad to hear a new Willy T is on the way!

Best of luck to you and yours.

BTW....Contrails is the name my good friend ( retired airline pilot) uses on all his sailboats....he took his last "Contrails" a Stevens 47 around the world.

Another good friend in OZ (also a retired B-747 pilot) uses "Four" Contrails.
Old 26-02-2018, 06:48   #20

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Thanks for the description. I sailed all over both USVI and BVI last season a few months before the storms. It is incredible to think so many boats are still washed up, I imagine some of them will stay for years.

Did you do any diving? How is the fish life? Are there dolphins, turtles etc? Are there still plenty of birds and iguanas? Do the small islands still have goats?

Quote:
WE had to reduce the length of our watches from our normal 4 hours to 2-3 hours – it simply wasn’t possible to be up there longer.
Do you sail without autopilot? If you are beating, can you not lock the helm?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 06:56   #21

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Thanks for the description. I sailed all over both USVI and BVI last season a few months before the storms. It is incredible to think so many boats are still washed up, I imagine some of them will stay for years.

Did you do any diving? How is the fish life? Are there dolphins, turtles etc? Are there still plenty of birds and iguanas? Do the small islands still have goats?

Do you sail without autopilot? If you are beating, can you not lock the helm?
We've done some diving and there are lots of fish and turtles Haven't seen any goats or dophins (surprise). Lots of iguanas.

We do use autopilot - but 2-3 hours in the cockpit alone getting sprayed by seawater or all all the time is numbing - we double-hand so there is no third or fourth person to relieve us.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:27   #22

Just came back from an AWESOME week there with family and friends in a Cat. For the force of the storm the place looks fantastic!!!! Excellent sailing, excellent snorkeling, lots of sea life, mooring fields working and the place wasn’t crowded. Several restaurants already open!!!! I believe by 2019 will look mostly normal. What impressed me was what happened to the vegetation.... it’s is clear that in some places the trees were gone with the roots... Marina Cay is naked on top ( now there is “grass” ). ALL places all the foliage is brand new!!!! Quite impressive. The physical structural damage was as advertised, no surprises. The surprise was that the groceries stores had excellent supplies of meat, vegetables, wine, etc. The companies ( Moorings/Sunsail/DYC , etc ) are full of new boats and ready to do business. I don’t think my next spring break will be this calm.... we could get to any anchorage any time and find only a hand full of neighbors...
soares29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 05:56   #23

Boat: Irwin 30 Citation

Thanks to everyone for the update on BVIs and USVI.

Six of us plan to bareboat first 2 weeks of July to support one of our favorite place to sail in the world. Will any of the opened BVI Restaurants be closed due to late season?
upstateny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 06:19   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

"Spend money – lots of money so we can get our businesses back in shape again. We would have loved to spend more than we did – but there literally isn’t anything to spend money on."

We visited Thailand years ago post Tsunami and they said the same thing. "Tell your friends we are open for business and to come and spend money." Not near the devastaion of a Hurricane though.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote