Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 17:16   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Bear in mind calling someone an idiot is only an insult if they are not, in fact, an idiot...
We need to understand that just because you think someone is an idiot does not convey the right to declare it to the entire Internet here.

This is the standard by which Cruisers Forum operates. You are encouraged to think as much or on any topic as you like but not to declare it to the whole world without consideration of our rules. Some other Internet site is perfectly acceptable.

We don't ask too much but this is an issue we will insist upon. We really do think people need to get along and we can actually make it happen or enforce your departure. It may be pointless but we will allow the occasional mistake. We can only fail if most people want us to fail.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 17:41   #17

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
i stand by my previous posts on this matter all this touchee feely stuff really p***** me off the guy set out in an un sea worthly piece off crap he deserves every thing that is being slung at him
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 17:54   #18

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
We need to understand that just because you think someone is an idiot does not convey the right to declare it to the entire Internet here.

This is the standard by which Cruisers Forum operates. You are encouraged to think as much or on any topic as you like but not to declare it to the whole world without consideration of our rules. Some other Internet site is perfectly acceptable.

We don't ask too much but this is an issue we will insist upon. We really do think people need to get along and we can actually make it happen or enforce your departure. It may be pointless but we will allow the occasional mistake. We can only fail if most people want us to fail.
Nevertheless, Occam's razor still applies. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and squarks like a duck... chances are its a duck. You can call it a bunch of roses, but it still quacks
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 19:06   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Nevertheless, Occam's razor still applies. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and squarks like a duck... chances are its a duck. You can call it a bunch of roses, but it still quacks
1/ No one is saying you have to call a duck a bunch of roses either.
2/ We all know what ducks look like, walk like and sound like. No one has to point out the obvious.

And we all agree that you can attack ideas. You just can't attack the person.

2 1/2 Men dialog

"One of you two is an idiot."
"Which one?"
"A smart person wouldn't have to ask."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 20:21   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

"One of you two is an idiot."
"Which one?"
"A smart person wouldn't have to ask."
That’s very funny Dan but actually defeats your point of being circumspect about opinions of others mental abilities.

For what it’s worth, in debating team, we were advised to:
“keep your toes outside the door…so they don’t get stepped on”

I think pretty good advice for everywhere.

Trinescape, I love Australians because of their wicked sense of humour that is rarely politically correct, but this Forum keeps a pretty good balance and we can all say “get stuffed!” in our minds, when the timing is appropriate.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 21:27   #21

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I didn't mean to imply that ad-hominem attacks are acceptable. Nevertheless, I think that political correctness does sometimes reach ridiculous levels (not necessarily on these boards). I do, usually, try to avoid upsetting posters here but, as has been pointed out, there is a difference between
a) Posting an (essentially anonymous) opinion here, and
b) Actively seeking fame / noteriety in the media or even soliciting financial backing
In the latter case, I think that one has to accept that a certain amount of "slings and arrows" will come with the territory.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:52   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
This ain't the kindegarten. We ought to be able to cope with a small amount of frank and open discussion even if it borders on "robust". Bear in mind calling someone an idiot is only an insult if they are not, in fact, an idiot...
Would you consider it a friendly gesture for me to venture the opinion that "someone's" baby is ugly?
It may be true (or not), but there's no need for me to say it.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:43   #23

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
I only just read that post, and not all of it, but enough I think. People label him as an idiot. Why? Because he stretches the boundaries, doing things most people wouldn't? For doing what he wants despite what people think? Risking the tax payers money? Someone wrote that people like that shouldn't even be allowed to have an EPIRB on board. Who are we to tell people what they should or shouldn't do? I have complete understanding of people who try to seek their freedom or personal adventure in todays society, where freedom and adventure are virtually non existent. We have become "safetyoholics" (no, I didn't look that up in a dictionary

I'd like to remind you of a few other people who were labled as idiots: Christopher Columbus, Kopernikus, Vasco Da Gama etc. If it weren't for people like that, we wouldn't be having this conversation, as the earth would still be flat as a pancake, The Vatican would be the center of the universe and USA would still be a place where buffalos we're running around being chased by indians with bows and arrows.

In a way I pity people like Vann. There's nothing left to discover. It's all been done. Where should they go and what should they do?

/Hampus
Old 06-08-2008, 04:48   #24

Boat: Well, I'm not there yet.
Interesting to see that ya'll are struggling with the same issue here. I've been a member of some great long distance motorcycle forums that cleave to either a laisse faire method or a rigourous form of self censorship when it comes to running a forum. Of course there are some in the middle too. But all of them have struggled with the issue of what constitutes good behavior and where to draw the line before a perceived insult degenerates into name calling.

Best of luck!

And now back to lurking and learning about a new life style change and the fun of tracking down that perfect-for-me-sailboat....
Pepys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:15   #25

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
You've never been at the leeward mark when some wanker tries to get inside with no rights.
But surely thats the official name for such sailors?
JOHN
Old 06-08-2008, 06:03   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Welcome Pepy... just a small not so pc comment about your profile photo...... it freaks me out!.....
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:10   #27

Boat: Well, I'm not there yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Welcome Pepy... just a small not so pc comment about your profile photo...... it freaks me out!.....
That's Fr. Jack and you have every right to freak out 'cause he is one freak for the books. Those folk across The Pond know who he is.
Pepys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 16:44   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
That’s very funny Dan but actually defeats your point of being circumspect about opinions of others mental abilities.
Well it's a good point that at times we will digress into good natured ribbing. That's the hardest part to keep an eye on. Sometimes you gotta let the humor run to give atmosphere to the place but in a blink of an eye someone's feelings are hurt.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:42   #29

Location: Maryland...just a little too far removed from the Chesapeake Bay for my liking!
[quote=TaoJones;189409]I find it curious that the first post from a new member is the one quoted above.

Curious? Curious in what way? I suspect this single sentence (if I have correctly guessed the feelings behind it) may illustrate quite well the very reason I made the original post.
gnelson is offline   Reply With Quote