Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2011, 13:38   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: USCG Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. lulz View Post
I think from what I've heard so far, this is a dead end.
Clearly, the auxiliary doesn't command the level of respect they may have been afforded in the distant past.

Years back I kept my boat in a marina that housed an auxiliary flotilla, supplying them rent-free with their own clubhouse. They were big on boat inspections, and a Sunday rarely went by when someone in a blue uniform wasn't asking whether he could check your flares.

One day word came in that some kids had flipped a catamaran out in the bay and were missing. Immediately, a half dozen boat owners from the marina launched a search effort, mostly using our own inflatables or shore boats from the local yacht club. It was a true community effort, and the kids were located within an hour.

When we finally reconnected back at the yacht club, someone pointed out that none of the auxiliary flotilla members had participated in the search. What was amazing about this isn't so much that they hadn't joined us, but rather that it hadn't even occurred to anyone that they might be of assistance. The fact was that if you listed the go-to boaters who you'd ask for help in a situation like that, none of the auxiliary members would have made the list.

It's been pointed out that some flotillas are stronger than others, but the only one with which I've ever been familiar has been notably weak.
Old 28-07-2011, 13:55   #17

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

First;

Quote:
Great courses, especially good for new boaters (rules of the road)... some speak highly of their navigation courses.

The courtesy inspections can be helpful in avoiding boardings, but there is a good argument against them since you are letting the camel get it's nose under the tent....

Now,

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
..... i still have sand in my derailleur of my bike due to them (canadian uscg aux member who has a documented history if bullying folks down the coast of kali)
There is certainly a story here... pray tell?
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 13:58   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if one has to be a us citizen then how an the canuckistanian bully be a uscg aux man. same with us military-- canadians were in that also.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 14:15   #19

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Zee, I suspect they probably aren't actual USCG aux.

Quote:
The Auxiliary is an organization of civilian volunteers. Membership is open to any
citizen of the U.S. and its territories and possessions, who is seventeen years of age
or older, subject to a favorable (FAV) PSI in accordance with the Personnel
Security Program Manual, COMDTINST M5520.12 (series), and paragraph C.3 of
this chapter. Facility (radio station, vessel, or aircraft) ownership and special skills
are desirable, but not mandatory. Auxiliary membership is open to all U.S. citizens
who are current Coast Guard active duty personnel or former members of any
uniformed service and their Reserve components, to include the Coast Guard,
discharged under honorable conditions.
Old 28-07-2011, 14:17   #20

trust me --they ARE and they abuse the signs all over their boats to prove it
Old 28-07-2011, 14:17   #21

Boat: Sold the boat. Buying a van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
My own concern with the USCGAux is why they won't answer the question where the money goes from their NJ boating safety certificate classes. I teach the same class and their overhead is a fraction of ours. If legit...then spill the beans...if not then jail time is too good for the abusers.
And
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If you are talking to me...you have the wrong guy...

I was 23 years active duty and just want the truth.

I spent 2 years in Kodiak risking my butt in the Bearing Sea....so I don't have a problem with helpers...I just don't like corruption and just want the truth. I never got a dirty dime so the truth is a good thing.

Not aimed at you at all. I appreciate your service. A friend of ours is a commercial fisherman and has spent many seasons out on the Bering Sea. I was probably not articulate enough in my comment, but it was aimed at the general run of put downs in some of the posts. I have a low regard for people who love to bitch about things, but aren't willing to make some personal effort to get involved and make them better.

Regarding money from NJ safe boating classes, I have no idea. I'm a long way from New Jersey. Never been there....don't have any plans to go there either. I can only speak to what I have seen in my part of the world. From what I have seen, USCGAux while not flawless, is generally a good outfit.
Old 28-07-2011, 14:51   #22

there are individuals in aux with brains, but more have lack thereof and have proven that in public in front of witnesses.
Old 28-07-2011, 14:58   #23

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"

Also check out the United States Power Squadron. All volunteer based boating education and social activities.

United States Power Squadrons® Safe boating fun thru education

I really enjoy it.

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
https://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 16:14   #24

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.L.Green View Post
Blind leading the blind?? They asked if anyone had any experiences with them and alot of people answered. I answered my experiences and thought it was rediculous they didnt want me because I missed bingo night and had to be trained by a pilot less qualified by me who wasnt even rotorcraft rated. Sailng experience? non existant with that flotilla and most didnt even have any certifications beside boaters safety
One anecdotal story is not nor should it be taken as indicative of all CG auxiliary stations. Implying so is a disservice. I'm, not a member of any auxiliary but am familiar with some who are and they would take offense to such criticism. As others have said, rather than rely on a few complaints, check out your local Auxiliary to see how good it is and if it serves your purposes/needs.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 16:23   #25

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

My only experience with the CGAux was on the Connecticut River, where I was paddling with my kids. Aux boat drives up fast, pushes a wake up on shore as we're taking the canoes out on the bank, and he demands to see our PFDs (we were wearing them). Then the throwable (seat cushion clearly visible in the bottom of the canoe.) The whole episode left a bad taste in my mouth. Petty tyrant. As others have mentioned above, I'm sure it's not representative of the whole group, but after that experience I felt no desire to join the ranks.

I like to think I do my Coast Guard Auxiliary duty whenever I'm sailing and keep an eye out for anyone in trouble.

(I'm a volunteer firefighter here at home, too, just so you don't think I'm a complete whiner. Maybe a part-time whiner. . . .)
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 12:52   #26

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
One anecdotal story is not nor should it be taken as indicative of all CG auxiliary stations. Implying so is a disservice. I'm, not a member of any auxiliary but am familiar with some who are and they would take offense to such criticism. As others have said, rather than rely on a few complaints, check out your local Auxiliary to see how good it is and if it serves your purposes/needs.
My previous posts stated I could only speak of one flotilla, not ALL.I know there are some that do a great job, my experience was with one of the latter.
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 13:51   #27

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Don't confuse CG Auxiliary with CG or any military organization. They are a volunteer group headed by volunteers doing volunteer things. They are not trained military or trained law enforcement.

Each Auxiliary Flotilla is different and is only as dedicated and responsive as their leadership directs them to be (remember volunteers). I belonged to a pretty good one back in the early 80s near Pearl Harbor for a short period of time. There was one here in Hilo, Hawaii that went out on more rescue missions than the real Coast Guard and saved many a boat or assisted many in reaching the island who had fuel or rudder problems.

I think their training is good. Their basic boating classes are excellent. They require training of their individuals so that they know each is on the same page when they are put in a situation. They are not law enforcement and you can always say no to a courtesy examination. Always check to confirm they are auxiliary and not real Coast Guard before you say "no."

kind regards,
Old 29-07-2011, 14:06   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
My only experience with the CGAux was on the Connecticut River, where I was paddling with my kids. Aux boat drives up fast, pushes a wake up on shore as we're taking the canoes out on the bank, and he demands to see our PFDs (we were wearing them). Then the throwable (seat cushion clearly visible in the bottom of the canoe.) The whole episode left a bad taste in my mouth. Petty tyrant. As others have mentioned above, I'm sure it's not representative of the whole group, but after that experience I felt no desire to join the ranks.

I like to think I do my Coast Guard Auxiliary duty whenever I'm sailing and keep an eye out for anyone in trouble.

(I'm a volunteer firefighter here at home, too, just so you don't think I'm a complete whiner. Maybe a part-time whiner. . . .)
Were they very long canoes? Under 16ft there's no requirement for a throwable.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 14:08   #29

Boat: private yacht always moving

I asked the CGAX if they could inspect my boat. They were great about it. Went over anything and everything. Very professional.

That is the only good thing I have to say about them from my experiences. I have been stopped 3 times by them while on the water. they remind me of the keystone cops, weekend police wannabes. I have listened to them tell people not to use channel 16 and what the uses for channel 16 are. They spent more time on the channel then the original violators. Long winded speech on channel 16. We were laughing at it. Wanna be cops IMHO.
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 14:12   #30

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

My experience with the CG AUX has been very positive. They organized voluntary inspections at our marina and were pretty thorough checking my boat and passing it. They patrol and help manage boat traffic in this area during the NAS airshow and holiday fireworks shows. Not sure if they work the boat traffic during the NFL games or other events. I took their Advanced Coastal Navigation Course, which took 8 weeks to complete. The test was no cake walk, either. Sat next to a Delta airlines captain and he was very impressed with how well the class was organized and taught. He did have a lot of fun making them defend forcing us to convert everything from magnetic to true. The chartwork was detailed and I learned way too much about Buzzards Bay, on the course charts. They offered a sextant course, but not enough signed up for it to make it worth their time. Great bunch of volunteers and well worth the course price.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote