Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 21:27   #1
tms

Boat: 40' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey
Using bilge for storage

I see many videos where people add equipment like watermakers or other gear in the bilge. This doesn't seem like a good idea because the point of the space is a water reservoir.

I think it might be alright to store consumables before a long passage that will be depleted.

Thoughts?
tms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 21:42   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Using bilge for storage

To a degree it depends upon how wet your bilge is. If it's compartmentalized, & what you store where. Since some boats have bilges where each section is fully seperated from the next, unless water gets above the cabin sole. With many sections being dry essentially, continually. And only the sump for the keel being a spot which usually has that little bit of standing water in it that the pump fails to remove.

The other trick, of course, is how things in the bilge are packaged. As well as how vital it is to have them, & that they be kept dry. With more expendable items getting stored in higher risk area.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:12   #3

The bilge is that space that occurs when you put a flat floor into a curved hull. In the past, boat hulls might have been leaky but these days on modern boats, hulls stay fairly dry. A lot of boats have bilge compartments that drain into the area where the bilge pump is sited and so even if a little water gets in, it soon moves on. Evaporation gets rid of a few drops. If your boat has bilge areas that stay dry then there is probably no reason not to use it as storage. Even with say, a watermaker in a bilge compartment. any water getting in might not be an issue. Storage below the waterline might help with boat balance as the weight might act as a minute righting load. I would have few qualms about storing a spare anchor and chain as low in the boat as possible.I wouldn't recommend storing gear that is water sensitive in the bilges just in case.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:23   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tms View Post
I see many videos where people add equipment like watermakers or other gear in the bilge. This doesn't seem like a good idea because the point of the space is a water reservoir.

I think it might be alright to store consumables before a long passage that will be depleted.

Thoughts?
Water reservoir?

There are bilges and then there are bilges. Yours is probably pretty flat, and just a few compartments moulded into the liner, and you have a bolted on fin, no?

Many bilges are deeper and wider. Mine extends the whole length of the keel stub, shallower at the bow and deepest aft, where the sump is. My bilge is dry and if it's not dry, that points to a problem. I keep all sorts of stuff down there...soda, wine, beer. Would not hesitate to locate mechanical equipment down there if there were a reason to. The shower sump pump is there, forward, come to think of it...
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:23   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my boat has a deeeep bilge-- yes it does hold water-- point being that more water ingress is a bad thing.
i have been with boats keeping stores in the deep bilges-- that kinda works as long as the canned foods are rotated and checked frequently.
there is more to a bilge than merely the wet part. there are spaces under basins places under berths--all kinds of places to stash watermakers, bilge pumps tanks depth sounders, shower sumps, blackwater tankage, thru hull fittings hoses and other such necessary items as parts for engines and parts for pumps and items for repairing and spares without them being stashed in water or potential water.
the engine is located in the bilge of many boats. some even have batteries in bilges.
i stow my oil and my filters and my other necessary engine items near my engine--is theoretically in the bilge, as the space is below the cabin sole.
as long a s water is able to flow smoothly from stem to stern, stash whatever you wish to stow in your bilges, remembering that there is always a potential for ingress of water
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:54   #6

Boat: Island Packet 32

Weight low in the bilge adds stability by lowering the center of gravity. But too much and the design parameters are overridden, increasing wetted surface and inducing more drag. Cruising boats and sailors usually don't care. The PO of my boat (IP32) installed a bladder tank for diesel in the bilge, along with numerous spare parts and provisions for a passage to Bermuda. He said it sunk the water line, but he didn't really notice a change in performance. He took it out after his trip, but the plumbing is still there if I wanted to do the same.
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:00   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my boat weight is desirable except in bows.
more the better, bring it ON.
i have yet to influence wateline by even an inch, except when engine was out for rebuild.
i am not concerned about weight unless it is placed incorrectly.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:08   #8

I have no experience with this yet, but I'm thinking if it didn't impede water flow it would be a great place to put a water maker if a line came lose or broke.
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:20   #9

Boat: Westsail 28

We used to store Guinness Draught in the sloping area of the bilge that never got wet . It was just the right temp I was told . I got tired of it , I like my beer real cold .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:29   #10

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

The bilge in a vessel with encapsulated keel is deep and usually wet unless they get sponged dry. Bolt on keel boats have much shallower bilges, often dry and more usable for storage. I babysit various boats and get to see various bilge plans. Some of the newer 50 ft. production sailboats have purposely built removable storage trays below the cabin soles.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:37   #11

Usually the Clark pump is below the waterline and in the bilge - membrane can be anywhere where you have room.

Modern bilges aren't wet sumps for controlling the steady leaks of yore. Like others said, should be part of watch rotation boat check while underway to inspect the bilge for unexpected water. Okay to store stable items that won't bang around.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:01   #12

Boat: Island Packet 32

I don't think I would put a water maker down there because of maintenance issues. Poor access and it's always damp and salty. Which reminds me... I need to eyeball my bonding wire connections..
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 13:45   #13

Boat: TBC

I keep my tools and spares in the bilge in heavyweight waterproof boxes called Peli cases.
FilBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 14:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
To a degree it depends upon how wet your bilge is. If it's compartmentalized, & what you store where. Since some boats have bilges where each section is fully seperated from the next, unless water gets above the cabin sole. With many sections being dry essentially, continually. And only the sump for the keel being a spot which usually has that little bit of standing water in it that the pump fails to remove.

The other trick, of course, is how things in the bilge are packaged. As well as how vital it is to have them, & that they be kept dry. With more expendable items getting stored in higher risk area.
The storage should be dry compartments (sectioned) and the most important is the ability to keep it dry and ventilated to prevent the stored item from picking up the smell of the bilge. Bilges never get enough ventilation...
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 14:28   #15

Bilges are typically damp, even on a dry boat. Anything I ever stored there went bad quickly. Wine excepted!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, storage