Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2017, 10:41   #16

Boat: Maxi 95, 31ft
Re: Value of a European boat in USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
BEFORE the OP can advertise his boat for sale in the US he (seller) has to pay import duty plus associated fees. This is clearly stated in the US Cruising license which he will need if he wishes to cruise in US.
Thanks for correction.

Import fees, when we imported our boat, was 1%, which is not too painful. The feds didn’t care whether we were registering the boat, so he should be able to hold off on the NYS taxes.
johnjuliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:50   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjuliano View Post
Thanks for correction.

Import fees, when we imported our boat, was 1%, which is not too painful. The feds didn’t care whether we were registering the boat, so he should be able to hold off on the NYS taxes.
It is interesting that such a neo-liberal country with supposedly free market has so much bureocracy. Not being sarcastic, just stating... judging from above and movies. You sue each other a lot if I am right. Big market for lawyers. Not like here. You can get a headache pill at a restaurant here. If I die from it, no problem for the restaurant owner.

How much is the permit, please?

I really want to sail to Cuba. Maybe sell her there. Hard perhaps. How is it, you U.S. guys cannot sail or travel there, correct?

If we do however (being Swedish is pretty good, you're welcome pretty much everywhere), can we get into U.S. afterwards?

I remember when being in Israel, they told me I couldn't go to Lebanon with that stamp in the passport.

I also recall a colleague who at immigration at a U.S. airport said "here to work" instead of "here in business". Took him an additional three hours...

Many options, we could leave her in the U.S., either in a marina in water or on the hard. How much if in the countryside, please? Period: one year.

Cheers
Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:14   #18

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob666 View Post

How much is the permit, please?
There is no charge for the cruising permit. Clearing in fees are less than $20. Make sure you have a lot of small bills. They want the exact amount, don't make change and refuse to accept more than the fee. The US is a large country with a correspondingly large bureaucracy. With the exception of one occasion where the officer I talked to on the phone told me to get in my boat and sail back to Canada I have not had any problems in the thirty odd years I've been dealing with them.
Old 08-11-2017, 23:50   #19

Thanks. I like the states, which is why we wanna go there.

Cheers
Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Europe, rope