Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2023, 09:49   #16

Boat: C&C 38-3 and C&C 30mki
Re: Vancouver to Hawaii and back?

Great read! We'll done.
Jbechtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 09:58   #17

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

Planing end of June passage,CA to Hawaii, then back towards end of August, over the top of the high. Singlehandedly. 1st time.
Just looking for all in insights to this undertaking, mentally, physically I'm ready, equiptment ready after 10 years on this boat, 40 years experience.
But never an ocean crossing,
It's on my bucket list though.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2023, 21:02   #18

Scott here, I’ve done the 20 times, and let me tell you it is not for the faint of heart. If you don't have a strong background in sailing those waves will eat you alive. You have to stay on your toes at all times, I would never take my kids on such an excursion its very dangerous. Do at your own risk.
Scottboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 03:37   #19

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottboat View Post
Scott here, I’ve done the 20 times, and let me tell you it is not for the faint of heart. If you don't have a strong background in sailing those waves will eat you alive. You have to stay on your toes at all times, I would never take my kids on such an excursion its very dangerous. Do at your own risk.

???

Both ways, when done in season, it’s two of the easier and most straightforward ocean passages in the world. The greatest danger are the logs and deadheads in Juan de Fuca Straight - I personally know of a C&C 41 returning from a Vic-Maui race that at night hit a log and sank just off of Port Angeles.

I had my 10th birthday just about exactly halfway between Victoria and Hilo. This was on a 28’ full keel boat that averaged less than 100 miles per day. From memory we took 24 days or so, as my dad was taking leave from work and had to make up a couple days as we took longer than he planned. The swells are amazing as they overtake you from behind and you think with each one that the boat won’t be able to climb the swell, but she does, easily.

We returned using the traditional sail north to get over the high, then ride the westerly’s into the coast. Same boat, now late August, and it took us one day longer than the outward passage (not enough fuel to motor when the high got us, so several days of deep water swimming and spotting for glass balls).
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii