Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2024, 19:52   #1

Boat: S&S 40
Vanuatu to the Philippines

I am planning of sailing from Brisbane to the Philippines via Palau.
Getting into the N/W pacific around February, is it too early in the season for the N/E monsoon?
Anyone who has done the voyage from Queensland, has any experience?
Brisbane, Cairns, Papua, Palau.
I would have to stop in PNG to wait for a suitable 'window' for the next leg to Palau
Any practical input is appreciated

I have looked at wind charts and various publications, however, I like to hear from someone who has done the trip.

Many thanks

S/V Arabella
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 20:09   #2

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Vanuatu to the Philippines

I would avoid Davao and Palawan when you get to Philippines.

Both are gorgeous, but many have died there in last years.

Politeness goes a long way.

Fixers are a thing.

Their culture works well, but can extremely upset some. I love the culture and people.

They can fix anything!

A little Tagalog goes a long way.

I’ve lived about half of the last decade in the Philippines and love it so much. Some places are just not safe for "foreigners" - get a local person to give you heads up for whatever region you goto.

But I am a country boy and live "in province" so mileage may vary for city folk.
pianopraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 02:15   #3

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Vanuatu is mentioned but does not appear on your itinerary. It is an excellent place to visit and a good route to the N. Pacific from Australia.

I would have said this is a bit early. The best time to leave Brisbane for NC or Vanuatu is beginning of May, before the trades have strengthened. Leaving from the NC or Vanuatu the route is via Solomon Islands (Gizo) then Micronesia Kosrae or Pohnpei (Nov/Dec). If you time it right, it is then a beam reach, albeit light winds, to Palau, arriving Jan/Feb. From Palau you can enter the Philippines via Surigao Strait, avoiding the dangerous southern parts Davao and the more populous areas to the north. PGN were experiencing some political issues at the time so we avoided it at the time, but things change.

The Philippines is a wonderful cruising area with lovely people. Despite the accepted typhoon season July-December you can get typhoons all year round. Typhoon2000.ph is an excellent weather resource. Our insurance required a formal Emergency Plan.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 20:32   #4

Thanks for your reply...
I lived in the Philippines for many years so I am aware of the ins and outs...what I am looking for is the weather 'window' for getting into the N/W Pacific leaving PNG on route to Palau.
Cheers
Old 20-06-2024, 02:37   #5

Thanks for your input, I would prefer leaving from Vanuatu and bypass PNG all together.
The timeline is pretty much what I come up with as well.
I have done a couple of trips to NC which I really enjoyed, however, there is some serious unrest there right now, Vanuatu seems a good choice.
I am considering heading to Tambobo Bay for lay over.
Cheers
Old 20-06-2024, 03:42   #6

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Thanks for your input, I would prefer leaving from Vanuatu and bypass PNG all together.
The timeline is pretty much what I come up with as well.
I have done a couple of trips to NC which I really enjoyed, however, there is some serious unrest there right now, Vanuatu seems a good choice.
I am considering heading to Tambobo Bay for lay over.
Cheers

Yes, NC could be an issue at the moment. It may be a struggle getting a window from Oz to Vanuatu in one hit. We, Loyalty Islands would make a good stop but you have to fly to Noumea or pay to fly in border control in order to check in.

Other stops along the way Pohnopei (Nan Madol a must see) and some of the remote islands Ant Atol and Nuku Oro are really worth a visit if you have time. Chuuk and Truk were best avoided when we were there but things change.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Philippines, Vanuatu