Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2018, 14:32   #31

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Vero Beach to West Palm

Well, If you cannot go tomorrow (Sat, Oct 27th), then best to go down the ICW...
Quote:
Originally Posted by psagion View Post
Update:
Spent most of the morning checking and rechecking everything.
I still have a few things to fix so the trip will be postponed a little longer.
Weather will not be as nice on Sunday (cooler and northerly winds)....but heading down the ICW, this will be fine...

Enjoy!

Fair winds.

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:34   #32

We make this trip a couple times per year. From Vero to Jupiter is straight forward with on-demand bridges. Further south the bridges are on schedules which will delay you. The currents in Ft Pierce inlet and the St Lucie River can be difficult for a low powered boat. Good anchorages are found in Ft Pierce, Jensen Beach bridge, Hobe Sound, N Lake Worth and several places in Lake Worth. Avoid doing the southern leg on weekends as the boat traffic is intense and the wakes awful.
You should easily be able to do it in two days.
Timofog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:46   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Vero Beach to West Palm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
I think you could if you can do 5-6 knots. I plan 50 ICW miles per day on the ICW at that speed. I could do Vero Beach to Lake Worth in a day, easy.

I would say the same, but a small boat with an 8 HP outboard, and bridge schedules and ride, best he leave at first light.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:41   #34

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

Once you make West Palm, th3 city docks are free daytime with protected anchorage overnight.

Water, free bid to Publix and lots to see and do.

Public transit to Airports, close to health care and safe.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 21:46   #35

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

ICW gets a bid busy at Jupiter, several bridges close together. Can be confusing for the first time especially when a squall comes through. Take your time and do it safely in 2 days. Avoid going on the weekend, lots of traffic especially at bridges. Larger boats are holding for a opening and douching small fast boats. Personally I would not leave the boat on anchor unattended for days. Moorings are a better choice. But maybe you can get a fellow boater to keep an eye on your boat...
Enjoy the adventure.
Peterbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 21:48   #36

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Sorry, should have read "dodging"
Peterbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:53   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
Ah good point, I was making these trips during the spring / early summer, days would have been longer. Some of the bridges have close timing in that area, as I recall. Depending on tides that might help or hurt you to make good time. I think Jupiter is in between Ft Pierce and WPB, could anchor there for the night?
Bridges should not be an issue plus the only draw bridges between vero and little lake worth are Ft. Pierce north Bridge, Bridge rd Hobe Sound, US 1 Tequesta, the airdraft of your 25 footer should pass Donald Ross and PGA blvds.
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:59   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko freedom 32 View Post
Haven't anchored there yet, but many people really like Pecks Lake (near Hobe Sound). I agree that Depth and Tow Boat Insurance are a good idea, as the ICW can get very narrow. The bridges aren't too bad Vero to North Palm Beach, but you will need a radio.
No see-ums can be very bad in the river both in Ft Pierce as well as Hobe Sound so port and hatch screens should be inspected or be prepared with plenty of DEET, they can drive a man mad!
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:51   #39

Boat: Hunter 33 Cherubini , Catalina 14.2

Dja go yet ? Dja go yet?

Firstly, congratulations on finding a boat.

We live in Stuart and have sailed much of the questioned area extensively.

Ft Pierce "North Bridge" on the hour ,twenty past, twenty til,
undergoing a test of restricted opening until Feb.

We just came the other way from Lake Worth to Stuart with similar circumstances.

We came through the bridges overnight and saw zero traffic and slept at anchor in Tequesta (Hobe Sound).This spot has the added benefit of being a slow speed zone.

Coming from your direction this anchorage is on the west just past

markers Green 43 flashing 4 seconds and Red 44

We sail the inside from St Lucie to Ft Pierce faster than going outside and the weather doesn't mean much as your protected by the barrier island. Unless its (the wind} on your nose. It would save you time to go St Lucie to Palm Beach inlet. This would avoid the narrows and all of the bridges but I wouldn't suggest it in an untested boat. Once you're outside your fully committed but on the inside you can always just ..
" Pull over somewhere and ask directions"
We chose to be cautious.

"Good seamanship" is knowing how to stay out of situations where you need "good seamanship".

I would also suggest (Jupiter to Lake Worth) going during the week or at
night. You should also try to get used to handling the boat a bit. Some of the bridges are kinda narrow to be waiting for half an hour with current and any traffic. Your longer keel will hinder maneuvering but the outboard will help if you can steer it.
I have a copy of "The Intracoastal Waterway 6th edition". Very informative.
... and an extra fishfinder???

Best of Luck,
Ed W

PS Juggernaut omitted the Parker Bridge 25 foot vertical clearance and I have the PGA bridge listed at 24 feet vertical clearance
Secondshift is offline   Reply With Quote