Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2018, 00:41   #1

Victoria to Ucluelet

Hello All,

Sailing from Victoria to Ucluelet in mid August.

Looking for any advice for some inexperienced sailors.

We are not looking to head offshore or anything and are quite happy to motor-sail all the way.

We will likely leave from Sidney and stop in Sooke and then carry on from there.

Looks like Port Renfrew is the next possible stop followed by Bamfield and then Ukee.

I have read that Bamfield is achievable in about 10 hours at 6knots in order to skip Port Renfrew but I have no idea what conditions that was based on.

From what I can find from historical bouy data mean swell height for that time is in the 1-3M range around 8seconds and winds 5-10 possibly gusting upwards of 20knots in the afternoon/evenings.

We realize this is just data and actual on the day weather may be nothing close to this so we will be monitoring the weather and swell and adjusting plans to suit us best.

Fog seems to be the most spoke of issue as far as I have read.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated
John Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 12:56   #2

Re: Victoria to Ucluelet

It is known as Fogust.
Often in the morning with a bit of luck will burn of by around 10 ish.

You don't mention type or size of boat. Victoria to Port Renfrew is a good day sail. If you can time your departure with high water and have the ebb behind you when sailing west out of Juan de Fuca.
Once you get out as far as Port Renfrew there is usually a bit of a swell. Which can be uncomfortable if there is no wind. There is often not a lot of wind. In summer.

The Canadian tide tables are good and easy to use. The Charts available at most chandlers.
Even so I carry an Evergreen Atlas. Nice to have in the cockpit. I Like the Waggoner Guide.

I went direct to Bamfield from Victoria. We wanted to spend time up the coast.
Overnight trip. It's a beautiful trip with a few nice big lights.
I enjoyed the Broughton Islands and Uculet

If You have time head up to Hot Springs Cove. The tour boats are a pain but its nice in the evening and early morning.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 00:44   #3

Re: Victoria to Ucluelet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
It is known as Fogust.

Often in the morning with a bit of luck will burn of by around 10 ish.

You don't mention type or size of boat. Victoria to Port Renfrew is a good day sail. If you can time your departure with high water and have the ebb behind you when sailing west out of Juan de Fuca.

Once you get out as far as Port Renfrew there is usually a bit of a swell. Which can be uncomfortable if there is no wind. There is often not a lot of wind. In summer.

The Canadian tide tables are good and easy to use. The Charts available at most chandlers.

Even so I carry an Evergreen Atlas. Nice to have in the cockpit. I Like the Waggoner Guide.

I went direct to Bamfield from Victoria. We wanted to spend time up the coast.

Overnight trip. It's a beautiful trip with a few nice big lights.

I enjoyed the Broughton Islands and Uculet

If You have time head up to Hot Springs Cove. The tour boats are a pain but its nice in the evening and early morning.

Thank you so much for the reply. It’s very much appreciated.

Btw, we sail a Hans Christian 38T
John Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote