Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2020, 19:10   #1

Visa Requirements

I guarantee this is already covered somewhere, however things change, especially these days.

When I go to a countries site it shows visa requirements by country etc. Almost all require a flight leaving. Obviously, we will not have that, and if flying in to pick up our boat we also will not have a departure ticket. That is usually handled on the original departure side. The departure ticket is required to even board the plane entering the foreign country. How do you deal with that if you are planning on leaving on your boat.

Next question is I usually find where you can get the VOAs and it almost always shows airports only. Are VOAs also done at ports of entry as well?

All new to this.

Thanks,
ewishki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 19:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Visa Requirements

I always fly Tourist and with International flights One Way and Return prices are close enough not to fret about.
Get the return and save the potential hassle either at departure or arrival..
Speaking from experience if Caribe, Oz or the US is where your headed.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 19:51   #3

Re: Visa Requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewishki View Post
I guarantee this is already covered somewhere, however things change, especially these days.

When I go to a countries site it shows visa requirements by country etc. Almost all require a flight leaving. Obviously, we will not have that, and if flying in to pick up our boat we also will not have a departure ticket. That is usually handled on the original departure side. The departure ticket is required to even board the plane entering the foreign country. How do you deal with that if you are planning on leaving on your boat.

Next question is I usually find where you can get the VOAs and it almost always shows airports only. Are VOAs also done at ports of entry as well?

All new to this.

Thanks,
You don’t state your nationality , you don’t state the country you wish to enter and you use some gooblygook VOA lingo

To be a seaman and join a vessel in a foreign port you must have a contract signed by the vessels captain

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/882859/MGN_474_REVISED_CREW_AGG_AH.pdf

Armed with this contract you contact the countries consulate ...in your country ...to clarify and ask for any additional restrictions .., health certificate , insurance requirements , criminal record, seaman’s visa ....

Your captain should know these regulations in advance

In some countries the regulations are dense and as a result you use a shipping agent

In some countries the rules are so dense that you forget everything and purchase a round trip ticket
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 20:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
You don’t state your nationality , you don’t state the country you wish to enter and you use some gooblygook VOA lingo

To be a seaman and join a vessel in a foreign port you must have a contract signed by the vessels captain

https://assets.publishing.service.go...REW_AGG_AH.pdf

Armed with this contract you contact the countries consulate ...in your country ...to clarify and ask for any additional restrictions .., health certificate , insurance requirements , criminal record, seaman’s visa ....

Your captain should know these regulations in advance

In some countries the regulations are dense and as a result you use a shipping agent

In some countries the rules are so dense that you forget everything and purchase a round trip ticket
I said in my OP that its my boat I am picking up (purchased). In order to fly into the country part of the VOA (Visa On Arrival) protocol is that you must have an outbound ticket. If I am picking up my boat and leaving the country I will not use this ticket so it would be a waste. My question is, is there something we can do to prove we are leaving on the boat and not a plane. If you don't have experience in the matter, thats okay. I was asking for people that do have the experience, because I do not either.

Nationality is a moot point. The country you are going to either allows VOAs from the country of origin entering, or they don't. I wouldn't even be worried about a VOA if I didn't meet the requirements in the first place.

It is a common practice to buy a throw away ticket during air travel into a country that someone plans on staying in for a very long time, or not leaving at all. That is what Boatman61 is referring to. Example is The Philippines, where I am now. The round trip ticket coming from AU, US, EU, etc is drastically more than buying a one way ticket then buying a ticket to Taiwan as your outbound. I am just trying to see if there is a way to avoid that cost as well (easily) since we will be leaving on the boat anyway.

Thanks,
ewishki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 20:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewishki View Post
I said in my OP that its my boat I am picking up (purchased). In order to fly into the country part of the VOA (Visa On Arrival) protocol is that you must have an outbound ticket. If I am picking up my boat and leaving the country I will not use this ticket so it would be a waste. My question is, is there something we can do to prove we are leaving on the boat and not a plane. If you don't have experience in the matter, thats okay. I was asking for people that do have the experience, because I do not either.

Nationality is a moot point. The country you are going to either allows VOAs from the country of origin entering, or they don't. I wouldn't even be worried about a VOA if I didn't meet the requirements in the first place.

It is a common practice to buy a throw away ticket during air travel into a country that someone plans on staying in for a very long time, or not leaving at all. That is what Boatman61 is referring to. Example is The Philippines, where I am now. The round trip ticket coming from AU, US, EU, etc is drastically more than buying a one way ticket then buying a ticket to Taiwan as your outbound. I am just trying to see if there is a way to avoid that cost as well (easily) since we will be leaving on the boat anyway.

Thanks,
visa waver program
slug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men