Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2010, 17:54   #1

Visiting Sydney Harbour

Hi Crew

The Admiral and I want to bring our 26 feet trailer sailer over from Adelaide and cruise around Sydney Harbour for a few months. Some questions:

If we live aboard, are there moorings that I can tie up to for a few days then move on? If so, how do I find out about them?

Are there public head pumpout facilities?

Where can I store the trailer (cheap but secure)

David
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 20:18   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Moorings, pumpout, storage...

I am only aware of four lots of public moorings on Sydney Harbour. They are at Cabarita (just south of marina, map is wrong), Mosman (in front of the zoo), and the two lots in Middle Harbour (Bantry Bay - very nice - is very popular on weekends, Sugarloaf Bay not quite so much).

In general the harbour is more relaxed on weekdays. Weekends I sometimes feel like a speed bump. Do revise the maritime rules and remember that ferries have absolute right of way (and always take it).

Sydney Harbour maps can be downloaded free from here or they can be purchased online. The public mooring are pink on the printed map, though they appeared black (Police mooring!) on my downloaded copy.

In general there is much useful information on the NSW Maritime website.

Some marinas have pumpout facilities, but some do not seem to be operational. Other members may be able to comment on the frequency of holding tank inspections.

If you have a VHF radio then Marine Rescue on channel 16 will log you on and off if you might leave the harbour and are available 24 hours if you need help. They're friendly but do appreciate correct procedure!

Cheap and secure are adjectives not often heard when discussing marine matters in Sydney. However my very limited experience of thieves in Sydney has been that they are rather snobbish, and a reasonable attempt to make things difficult for them has them going elsewhere. Do make sure that no portable items of value are left on the boat. I have a lock on my trailer and the hitch, and if the dinghy is on the trailer I have a stout chain joining the two together. If parking on the street a length of chain attaching the boat to something stout can't hurt.

You probably have insurance already, but a call to your company verifying that your boat, trailer and car are covered both for the trip and for your stay in Sydney may be in order. RAA premium towing coverage is desirable.

General rules about security do apply in Sydney. Check doors (even car when inside!) are locked, don't flash money or valuables, dress clean and neat, not expensive, and some areas (esp. Redfern) are best avoided. I favour being tucked up snug by 9:00pm but that's not for security reasons.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 22:54   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
When we arrived in Sydney we were only staying for 2 months so we based oursleves in Blackwattle Bay in the International Anchorage. 33° 52.350'S 151° 11.170'E
Thats close - as in walking distance - to Darling Harbour and Sydney City. Also close to a huge supermarket at 33° 53.000'S 151° 11.600'E
The Fish markets at Blackwattle bay has a wharfe where you can tie up for FREE for a few days mid-week if you ask the OFFICE not the security guards (they will charge you)

Maritime NSW operates shopwers and pumpout in Balckwattle bay at (aprox) 33° 52.494'S 151° 11.354'E Its free (I think) but you need to borrow keys from them. Hail any passing patrol boat (there are friggin millions as Australia just won the Adolf Award for Fascist Cruising) or go to their office in the next bay 33° 52.140'S 151° 10.939'E

Great cruising and you can anchor in farm Cove right next to the Opera House!!! Its just an overnight stop when its fairly calm as the waves slop around there on windy days with all the boat traffic. But a magic place!

Also Store Bay near the heads you can stay for a few weeks 33° 48.700'S 151° 17.300'E

As Chris says the weekends on Sydney Harbour you will feel like a speed bump. Get your position in Store Bay on THURSDAY and expect boats to anchors so close its prolly better to have fenders out and don't worry about bumps in the night.

As for leaving your trailer. Thats a good one that I don't know the answer to. Rose Bay has a boat ramp a call to the Woolarah council may get you an idea if you can leave it there; Cabarita, as Chris says, ...

Sydney really is a delight! there are very few crusing boats there so the week days are vacent even during Christmas School holidays.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 15:10   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Mark:
Can you be a little more specific about where these various facilities might be found?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 01:22   #5

Thanks and keep the information coming

Although the undertone of the messages sounds a little like I'm getting information from the French Resistance during WW2 ( how to survive the weekend onslaught and the ferries), what you are telling me is most useful. It appears that, with a little cunning and water smarts, the admiral and I could make a go of roaming around the ins and outs of Sydney Harbour for quite a few weeks.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 02:00   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Surprise...

I'm not sure we would want to spoil all of the surprises.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 05:48   #7

Location: Australia - the boat is currently in Darwin. We will be heading down into the Kimberly in May, then on down to Perth.
Boat: 46' Aluminium Catamaran
G'day David,
About ten years ago? we put in our 23' Southern Cross trailer sailer at the head of Long Bay at a little out of the way park that had a boat ramp (33°49.06'S,151°13.16'E), that had to be used at 1/2 tide or higher. I don't know how it would go at neaps. It seemed to be mainly used by fishermen in tinnies.
We used the pump out at the marina that is S/W of Spit bridge. The bridge has set opening times.
I avoid sailing on the harbour during the weekends if I can - not a nice cruising experience, especially in light winds.
We anchored in Collins and Store Beaches near north head, also at the head of Gore Cove, at Balls Head Bay (reputed to snag anchors), and on the sides of Blackwattle and Roselle Bays. The Fishwarf at Blackwattle has been mentioned- can use the light rail to get to the city.

Good luck, Paul
Skellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 16:24   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day David,

Another good spot in any sort of Northerly winds is just to the East of the Manly ferry terminal. Easy shore access, and all sorts of provisioning/shopping within a few hundred meters. Interesting poeple watching too...

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Bayview. NSW, Oz
Old 24-05-2010, 21:07   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
just to the East of the Manly ferry terminal.
Very WW2 French Resistance. I'd be careful what secrets you divulge...

"all sorts of provisioning/shopping" JIM! Don't say Woolworths!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sydney