Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2022, 13:00   #1

voyage from Fort Lauderdale to Montauk

Hello there. New Sailor here.
Just bought my first Sailboat, a 1977 Terry Erskin Golden Hind in December. Been trying to get her up to date (eg. cleaning the bottom, fixing the sail, it had a bunch of tears unfortunately and the dimensions of the sail are hard to get by, also have some motor issues on my Yamaha 15, the inboard was replaced by that...)
I have an amazing Sailor friend who has been a captain for over 25 years who is willing to take her up from Fort Lauderdale to Montauk with me.
We are trying to figure out the route right now. Any suggestions. And anybody has an idea how long the voyage would take me on the ICW?
Thank you so much for any help and advice.
ShunnyVSMaryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 19:15   #2

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II
Re: voyage from Fort Lauderdale to Montauk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShunnyVSMaryJ View Post
Hello there. New Sailor here.
Just bought my first Sailboat, a 1977 Terry Erskin Golden Hind in December. Been trying to get her up to date (eg. cleaning the bottom, fixing the sail, it had a bunch of tears unfortunately and the dimensions of the sail are hard to get by, also have some motor issues on my Yamaha 15, the inboard was replaced by that...)
I have an amazing Sailor friend who has been a captain for over 25 years who is willing to take her up from Fort Lauderdale to Montauk with me.
We are trying to figure out the route right now. Any suggestions. And anybody has an idea how long the voyage would take me on the ICW?
Thank you so much for any help and advice.

From the way you describe the condition of the boat, the trip could take you the best part of the rest of your life. The smart thing to do is either repair your sails or get new ones or new to you ones. The thought of motoring down the intra-coastal all the way with a 15HP outboard is frightening. What you can do is sail the boat either directly to Cape May or sail down the L.I. Sound to NYC and then down to Cape May. Then C&D Canal and down the Chesapeake to Norfolk. Inside to Beaufort, NC and then outside jumps to Ft. Lauderdale. It will take you well over a month, as you will be waiting for weather in different spots. You'll be safe thinking about 6 weeks. It's a sail boat with a 15HP outboard for an engine, so sail it!
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 19:32   #3

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II

Got the route backwards. Just reverse my description. It will be easier going north than coming south as the Gulf Stream will help you.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 08:54   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

In 77 they were still built of plywood. If she wasn’t professionally surveyed prior to purchase I would do so prior to heading offshore.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fort lauderdale