Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2017, 11:47   #1

Watching sailor habits from ashore halfway round the world...

Is kinda fun. I'm staying at a seafront villa perched about 150' above the water with the most amazing views of the Med. I see a few different boats cruise by every hour. It's interesting to see the habits or different ways of cruising out here. I suppose it currently makes me a lounge chair sailor

For example, whether it be calm or over 25kts here on the Med I often see sailors towing their dinghies, sometimes two even while in heavy weather. I rarely see davits here and it took me a couple of days to figure out why. Then it dawned on me - duh Med mooring!

Also, at my home cruising grounds we sometimes tie a line to shore like they do here. I saw some yachties (the term for cruisers out here) using webbing line - good idea. It is maybe stronger and looks easier to clean?

Anyway, thought I'd throw out a discussion.

What has struck you as unique or gave you some new ideas while cruising outside your regular cruising grounds?

Cheers,
SC
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
round the world, sail