Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2017, 09:11   #1

water tight bulk heads

Nebi warning.
Looking at live aboard mono hulls in 35 to 50 foot range. Under 200k blue water, I like the idea of steel and or aluminum, many of which have watertight bulk heads. I have only run across one brand of fiberglass boats that have watertight bulkheads this is Amel. Anybody have any experience with these watertight bulkheads. Do they work?. I would think this would be extremely important to have these if are your own the middle of the ocean with no help available. But I have no experience in crossing oceans maybe they don't work after all. Or maybe it's a cost factor. I searched online forum search and couldn't really find much information on these. anyways your thoughts on these, thanks.
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 10:24   #2

Re: water tight bulk heads

I came across an Endeavor 52 one time that had a watertight bulkhead in the front.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 10:50   #3

Boat: J/42

Heck, most of them don't even have watertight companionways. But one common feature that may not be immediately obvious is that many boats have crash bulkheads or "crash boxes" that are sealed to a point somewhere above the waterline but don't completely seal off the compartment. (Often the space under the V-berth, for example.) But this can create problems with un-ventilated lockers and isolated spaces that don't drain to the bilge, so many owners end up cutting holes in them.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 11:12   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Watertight bulkheads work when they have no penetrations. Sometimes things are retrofitted and inadequately sealed. Plumbers putty can be your friend, failing a proper seal.
It would not withstand a gusher.

So, take a look at how water might get to where you don't want it. Have a serious explore, looking for defects.

Ann
Old 21-12-2017, 09:19   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I do not have watertight bulkheads on my steel boat, I have a collision bulkhead in the bow. The first seven feet of the boat can, with the addition of rubber bungs for the limber holes, be made functionally water-tight. I "bung the holes" when underway.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 10:13   #6

Boat: Pearson 34-2

I know James Baldwin of Pearson Triton Atom fame is in favor of watertight compartments were possible. I believe his hatches under the V bunks have gaskets and a means to bolt them down, and a few other compartments as well. I have yet to sail out of sight of land (hope to change that next year), but the concept sounds worth looking into.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 10:35   #7

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

All AMEL's have watertight doors...
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 11:09   #8

Amels are built with several watertight compartments.

From bow to stern:

The bow deck lockers and anchor locker are forward of a watertight bulkhead. This is what some builders call a "crash bulkhead".

The forward cabin and head can be isolated in front of a watertight door.

The engine room is its own watertight compartment.

The aft cabin and head can be isolated behind a water tight door.

There is a watertight bulkhead behind the aft cabin isolating the stern locker.

Do they work? If nobody has drilled holes in them post production, yes they work. Of course, they require the crew to close valves and doors if needed.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 12:55   #9

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter

All aluminium 38, 39, 42 & 52 VIAs have watertight bulkheads fore and aft, and the engine room to 24".
Any small after market space around wires can be made watertight with plumbers putty, to a very good level of confidence, if applied on both sides of the bulkhead.
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 13:05   #10

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Our Contest 48 has a water tight bulkhead in the bow.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 17:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Nebi warning.
Looking at live aboard mono hulls in 35 to 50 foot range. Under 200k blue water, I like the idea of steel and or aluminum, many of which have watertight bulk heads. I have only run across one brand of fiberglass boats that have watertight bulkheads this is Amel. Anybody have any experience with these watertight bulkheads. Do they work?. I would think this would be extremely important to have these if are your own the middle of the ocean with no help available. But I have no experience in crossing oceans maybe they don't work after all. Or maybe it's a cost factor. I searched online forum search and couldn't really find much information on these. anyways your thoughts on these, thanks.
I operate a 50 foot tugboat that has two forward collision bulkheads, four separate compartment bulkheads, two engine room bulkheads and one rear collision bulkheads. All deck covers are sealed to a certain extent. They really work to keep the vessel in an upwards directing if one of the compartment was to fill with some water. They buy you time in case something was to go. you need good pumps to manage your situation.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, water