Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2021, 08:50   #46

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon
Re: Ways solo sail into slip safely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Once I added oars to my boat going in and out of slips is no longer a challenge.
Is there a dragon's head on the bowsprit?

There would be if it was my boat. At least while rowing. While out pirating... er... ummm.... I mean sailing, I'd take it off so as to not scare the dolphins.

I'd also have it stowed below decks while in port to not scare the winches. Timid things winches.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 07:36   #47

You could read my article here; https://westviewsailing.co.uk/wp-con...ail-her-in.pdf
DuncanWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 08:09   #48

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

The game changer for solo docking is being able to lasso the cleat from the boat rather than jump on the dock.

Doing so is actually easy with a bit of practice and as a couple with a big boat we do this as well. It's safer and easier if you don't have thrusters.

To be clear, you would typically use the stern line and lasso the first cleat you come to (typically at the end of the finger) and secure it to stop the boat. I've used the pier at the end of the finger on occasion as it's a bigger target. Depending on your boat you could use the mid line for this as well.

Lassoing the cleat is done by holding the running end in one hand and throwing a bight over the dock cleat, then reeling it in and cleating the running end on the boat. You can use the aft dock line and stand and cleat from the aft cockpit or the mid if you have a center cockpit. Don't be afraid to throw lots of line well over the cleat as there is no need to skimp on line and risk falling short.

I'm a big fan of Duncan Well's Stress Free Sailing book and videos. Here's a video about his stern bridle strategy Stern Bridle strategy that we've used successfully. We stopped using it when we realized that simply lassoing the cleat was all we needed to do, but the advantage of his Stern Bridle strategy is that you don't have to leave the cockpit. If you lasso the cleat you probably will need to do so.

Always curious to try new and improved strategies and gadgets, I purchased and tried the docking stick and it's a fine tool that works well, especially when combined with the above stern bridle strategy to run the line to the cockpit, but in the end we prefer the simplicity of lassoing the cleat.

OMG, I just spotted Duncan Well's post above this one- I'm geeking out like a fanboy!
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 08:42   #49

Thank you SV Grace.

BTW I don't know why the video say it can't be played. I signed out of Vimeo and clicked on the Watch button and it cam up fine.

DW
DuncanWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 08:53   #50

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWells View Post
Thank you SV Grace.
BTW I don't know why the video say it can't be played. I signed out of Vimeo and clicked on the Watch button and it cam up fine. DW
This platform plays YouTube within posts but is not set up to play Vimeo within a post.

I've shared this particular video many times and each time wished you had it on your YouTube channel for this reason!

You have "" with a bow bridle, how about adding "Getting On" as well?

Would make my life easier as your fan!
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 06:46   #51

Boat: Beneteau First 345

Notice that you get as many different suggestions as you get answerers. Each time you head to that dock will be pretty much unique, wind, current, and other factors are constantly changing and each situation needs it's own analysis and modification. Simply use your head, think it through, know your boat and it's handling quirks especially at low speed, set up well in advance, be prepared to change if the situation warrants. Eventually like the rest of us you will become a master. Probably by the time you are ready to die just like all of us "masters" Good luck and learn how to fix all the chips and scratches you are sure to get. They are not scars, they are participation awards...
Sail Away 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 09:31   #52

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
This works for me on either a blow on or blow off marina pen.

Aft spring attached to mid dock cleat and lead to a hook on the outer pylon.
Back in, grab the spring and clip it to a pad eye near the transom.

Select neutral and leave the helm.

Bow line is attached to outer dock cleat and lead to midship dock cleat.
Retrieve bow line with boat hook.

Walk forward wrap bow line on forward deck cleat.
When the aft spring apples the brakes the bow will swing away from the dock.
Your job is to control the swing and align the boat after it has stopped.

Now you can deploy the remaining dock lines and fenders to your satisfaction at leisure.
I do the same thing but opposite. Midship spring line to piling, engine on and rudder to either port or starboard. Swings the boat right up to the dock.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 15:25   #53

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
Is there a dragon's head on the bowsprit?

There would be if it was my boat. At least while rowing. While out pirating... er... ummm.... I mean sailing, I'd take it off so as to not scare the dolphins.

I'd also have it stowed below decks while in port to not scare the winches. Timid things winches.
My 10 year-old son LOVES that idea!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-17 152425.png
Views:	75
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	236723  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 15:38   #54

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I stop the boat at the dock and get off with lines in hand. Wether I go bow first, or stern first, here is my prep when solo:

I have my fenders deployed on the appropriate side for the finger pier. Then I open the lifeline gate in the side I'm berthing. I run a spring to the cockpit, coiled ready to grab, and I have a stern line similarly positioned. I use tie the bow line to the spring line so I can have it once I'm on the dock. Then I come to the dock and slow or stop the boat, put her in neutral, and step off. I use the spring line to slow any forward motion, cleat it, cleat the stern and then the bow.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 19:02   #55

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Sailing into the slip isn't much different than motoring in.
What a peculiar idea! Possibly almost true when the gods have organized a nice beam reach down the fairway and a windward berth, but how about when the narrow fairway down which lies your berth is directly to windward? Please describe the drills that will make this even possible, let alone easy!

There are times when anchoring outside the marina is the best alternative, and waiting whilst you repair the engine or the wind becomes more amenable.

Jim
Old 17-04-2021, 19:21   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Quote:
Sailing into the slip isn't much different than motoring in.
What a peculiar idea! Possibly almost true when the gods have organized a nice beam reach down the fairway and a windward berth, but how about when the narrow fairway down which lies your berth is directly to windward? Please describe the drills that will make this even possible, let alone easy!

Jim
Remember Jim, he's gracing us with his vast experience of a couple of ASA 101 classes. (And he got 100% on the test). What would you know in comparision?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 19:34   #57

Boat: O'Day 322

I assume you mean a slip, and not a mooring...

First, many places prohibit or discourage sailing into the marina. Maybe you gave a small boat...you don’t mention that.

I single-hand my 32-foot sloop a lot, and motor into my slip. I have a line at the end if the finger pier on a Shepard’s hook. It is cleated at the end of the pier, and the other end has a loop. It is sized so that it slips over my cabin top winch, and stops my bow short of the main dock. Once I ease the line tight, I can put the tranny in FWD, and use the rudder to push the stern port or STB. I can get off the boat and secure all lines while the prop holds the boat steady.

I use this same method when trying to leave and the wind is blowing me off the finger pier...rig up the loop line, put tranny in gear and let the prop hold us in place. Untie all the lines, boat doesn’t blow off the dock, and when I am ready to leave, I put engine in reverse, and as I am backing out, I put the hook back on the Shepard’s hook for my use when I return.

I have missed the loop rope before in a strong wind blowing me off the pier per...in that case, I nudge the bow up to the main dock, put engine in FWD and then use the prop wash to push stern over to the finger pier.

In a previous Marina, with pilings between each boat, the sailing training slip had some ropes strung between the pilings, so a hot approach into the slip was “caught” by the ropes. My son brought the boat in pretty hot during our training, and I heard the captain yelling “more throttle, MORE THROTTLE!” And I thought, ooohhhh, glad I am not instructing him...and then the boat slowed down and I could see the pilings squeeze in a bit as the ropes strained.

Greg
Tanqueray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 07:37   #58

Boat: Ben 323 32+ft (10m)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Remember Jim, he's gracing us with his vast experience of a couple of ASA 101 classes. (And he got 100% on the test). What would you know in comparision?
Fullbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 07:38   #59

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
My 10 year-old son LOVES that idea!

Don't forget the red/white striped sail.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 08:16   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch007 View Post
Thinking of ways to solo sail into a slip safely.

1. Tie a fender with each fender end to a cleat so the boat hits the fender rather than the slip end if coming in too fast.

2. Prepare a line with a loop. Line is attached to boat mid ship so can just slip over cleat.

What other ways ?

Thanks in advance.
I single hand my boat quite a bit.

As long as (1) wind is not blowing me off the dock; and (2) there are normal cleats or bollards rather than those accursed rings on the dock, it's easy:

1. Prepare your lines and fenders beforehand. Lines should have their loops over your cleats to leave room to tie the other end on.

2. Just steer the boat onto the dock as you would normally do. Head towards the dock, then put the helm over hard to kill the speed and convert forward motion into lateral motion such that when you reach the dock, you are not moving forward or aft.

3. Then step over to the midships rail, take your pre-prepared midship spring line, lasso a cleat, and bring back the other end and tie up.

4. Once you have a midship spring on, the boat is under control, and you can put on bow and stern lines at your leisure.

Practice throwing lines and lassoing cleats. You can throw a bight of rope over a clear a surprising distance with surprising accuracy after some practice. I love to show off this technique for the schadenfreude crowds which often gather to watch me screw up single handed mooring on a big boat.

If you don't have normal cleats or bollards, as I don't at my yacht club, you will want one of those Nordic mooring hooks. Snagging the ring can be a faff if the ring is lying flat on the dock but it can be done. If you can leave the hooks propped up with something so you can snag them easier, then this can be a lot easier.

Once the midship spring is on, the boat is under control, and you can step off to tie on bow and stern lines through the rings at your leisure.

If the wind is blowing you off, then it's much harder single handed.

In this case, what I normally do is to prepare a line to one of my powered sheet winches, then through a midships cleat. One end looped around the cleat, then back through the middle of the cleat to the sheet winch, leaving a bight to throw over a cleat. Then power hard at the dock, then cut power, helm hard over so that I hit the dock with some momentum moving sideways (momentum is needed to overcome the wind). Then jump over to lasso the cleat. You only get one chance, so you will need to have practiced your cleat-lassoing. By the time the line is on, the boat is being blown off and is moving away again from the dock, but I can pull her in with the sheet winch. Then tie up the other lines normally.

If the wind is blowing you on rather than off, then it is correspondingly simpler. Stop the boat a little distance from the dock and let it blow you on. Then you're held by the wind and can tie up at your leisure.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail