Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2023, 20:27   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Weathered Awlgrip hull paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
Well, there's a whole range of worn-out when it comes to paint finishes. If it's not just plain flaking off, Awlcare will at least improve the looks - not like new paint, and not permanently. But like I said, I've used it and it woks.
Yeah, they are just having a ball with arguing

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 04:53   #17

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hibbard View Post
The topsides of our fibreglass sailboat was rolled and tipped with Awlgrip 10 years ago. The paint is now quite weathered.
Has anyone tried polishing Awlgrip once it becomes weathered?
We went through this a couple years ago and tried all the shortcuts, none of which lasted more than a few days.

To make matter a bit worse, the 'professionally' applied paint had failed after just 2 years. I'm pretty sure it was because the 'professionals' didn't do all the prep correctly. It really looked awful.

In the end, we decided we had to repaint, but this time we remembered the old adage, "If you want something done right...", so we repainted ourselves.

We followed the Awlgrip instructions this time -- several prep steps, and then the rolling and tipping -- and I'm happy to say we did as good a job as the 'pros' and it has lasted much longer.

One thing that made a huge difference was that we erected (rented) scaffolding around both sides of the boat (12 meter sailboat) to make it as easy as possible to do the work. Do not cheap out on this expense as it will make all the difference in the result. It's just not possible to roll-and-tip properly without scaffolding. You will waste too much time moving step ladders or whatever. It will still be a fraction of the cost of having the boat painted by *them*.

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2023, 08:31   #18

Boat: Taswell 43

following. We had our deckcap "professionally"painted with Awlgrip, and it looked great. Then, after about 6 years of use, hired a "professional" polisher, who used to much pressure and time with his buffer.....and wore the paint right off. "Course he denies any responsibility, and the yard we're at (during the hurricane season) does not allow owners to do the work....only "professionals" (who also pay a fee to the yard). Not quite sure where we go from here!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 09:01   #19

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
following. We had our deckcap "professionally"painted with Awlgrip, and it looked great. Then, after about 6 years of use, hired a "professional" polisher, who used to much pressure and time with his buffer.....and wore the paint right off. "Course he denies any responsibility, and the yard we're at (during the hurricane season) does not allow owners to do the work....only "professionals" (who also pay a fee to the yard). Not quite sure where we go from here!
Not sure how a “professional” painter differs from a painter ….

In your case, it might be more accurate to describe him as “negligent incompetent” painter as it’s common knowledge buffing/polishing Awlgrip is easily damaging when done wrong. Anyone who can read the label should know that.

Painters typically don’t have E&O insurance and neither do they have deep pockets so a liability suit is unlikely to help and doing so against the marina will serve only to get you kicked out.

Lesson learned in due diligence.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 09:42   #20
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hibbard View Post
The topsides of our fibreglass sailboat was rolled and tipped with Awlgrip 10 years ago. The paint is now quite weathered.
Has anyone tried polishing Awlgrip once it becomes weathered?
My philosophy on sailboat topsides is to maintain the gelcoat as best you can for as long as you can before ever considering painting. ONCE YOU PAINT IT THERE IS NO TURNNG BACK and the benefits are short lived. Painting doesn't make the boat perform any better and the significant money spent painting is best used on other boat projects as it ages. A new topsides paint job lasts until the first docking.

My new-to-me 1979 boat had been Awlgrip painted in 1988 (9 years old). I bought the boat in 2007 (19 year old paint). The boat has taken me on numerous trips to British Columbia, roundtrip to Alaska, and roundtrip to Hawaii after numerous upgrades including all new rigging, sails, windlass, batteries, wheel and binnacle, dodger, s.s. stern arch, 4x140W solar, etc... items that count for sailing the damn thing, not eye candy. However, I know the day is coming and dread it.

Please excuse my rant!
Old 03-11-2023, 11:33   #21

Hi
My boat was damaged (collision by another) and the insurance adjuster did not provide a full repaint. To minimize difference between new paint and weathered paint (12 years exposure to French Mediterranean sun) i polished it and had good results.
I have no idea why Awlgrip is supposedly not responding to polishing, mine did (Whisper gray)
caipirinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 12:00   #22
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

We used a cleaner/wax on an old Awlgrip painted surface and came out shiny.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 14:45   #23

Boat: Watkins 36'

I will tell you what the product is after I tell you about it. I have been applying it over a 16 year period to the same boat. It takes me a day or two to complete on my 36" Watkins. My 1980 Watkins would not show a good gloss previously with any product. I apply multiple coats every 2-3 years in a 1-2 day period. Then the bottom gets attention after the hull sides are done. That is another 1-2 day period. This product will put a reflective gloss shine on a dry turd. It is a glorified mop and glow, applies on with a Mitt. The product is Poliglo. We also use it on a 1973 Ericson 32" with the same effect both boats having original gel coat. Cost product wise $150. Best investment I ever made for my boat looking like it is loved. It fills the pores seals and smooths it out the surface. You will not be able to stop looking at it. It is that remarkable! I am unable to add pictures after countless attempts trying with the new site. But I promise you will not believe how good the results are.. my boat is in it's third year in the water will come out in the spring. It still shows a reflection. You can easily put 5-6 coats on in a day. The first time using it will absorb the most product. Rob Annapolis MD.
Rob H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 15:18   #24
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob H View Post
I will tell you what the product is after I tell you about it. I have been applying it over a 16 year period to the same boat. It takes me a day or two to complete on my 36" Watkins. My 1980 Watkins would not show a good gloss previously with any product. I apply multiple coats every 2-3 years in a 1-2 day period. Then the bottom gets attention after the hull sides are done. That is another 1-2 day period. This product will put a reflective gloss shine on a dry turd. It is a glorified mop and glow, applies on with a Mitt. The product is Poliglo. We also use it on a 1973 Ericson 32" with the same effect both boats having original gel coat. Cost product wise $150. Best investment I ever made for my boat looking like it is loved. It fills the pores seals and smooths it out the surface. You will not be able to stop looking at it. It is that remarkable! I am unable to add pictures after countless attempts trying with the new site. But I promise you will not believe how good the results are.. my boat is in it's third year in the water will come out in the spring. It still shows a reflection. You can easily put 5-6 coats on in a day. The first time using it will absorb the most product. Rob Annapolis MD.
Perhaps this is acrylic "polish" similar to the stuff used on floors (if it comes off with ammonia, that's it).
There are other brands - I've used New Glass and it was good on our old 26-foot boat and on a scratched up old canoe (gelcoat). It lasted well.

I'd say it's worth a try. It's very easy to apply, and Like I said comes off with ammonia (follow instructions) so no harm done if you have to paint.

If you apply actual wax polish to a boat it is a PITA to then paint - you have to get all the wax off with various products to get the paint to stick.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 22:56   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
My philosophy on sailboat topsides is to maintain the gelcoat as best you can for as long as you can before ever considering painting. ONCE YOU PAINT IT THERE IS NO TURNNG BACK and the benefits are short lived. Painting doesn't make the boat perform any better and the significant money spent painting is best used on other boat projects as it ages. A new topsides paint job lasts until the first docking.

My new-to-me 1979 boat had been Awlgrip painted in 1988 (9 years old). I bought the boat in 2007 (19 year old paint). The boat has taken me on numerous trips to British Columbia, roundtrip to Alaska, and roundtrip to Hawaii after numerous upgrades including all new rigging, sails, windlass, batteries, wheel and binnacle, dodger, s.s. stern arch, 4x140W solar, etc... items that count for sailing the damn thing, not eye candy. However, I know the day is coming and dread it.

Please excuse my rant!
So you have Awlgrip paint that is 35 years old and rant because it doesn’t look fresh anymore?

Old 03-11-2023, 22:57   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caipirinha View Post
Hi
My boat was damaged (collision by another) and the insurance adjuster did not provide a full repaint. To minimize difference between new paint and weathered paint (12 years exposure to French Mediterranean sun) i polished it and had good results.
I have no idea why Awlgrip is supposedly not responding to polishing, mine did (Whisper gray)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We used a cleaner/wax on an old Awlgrip painted surface and came out shiny.
Awlgrip makes several different topcoats. If you have their Awlcraft 2000 topcoat then this can be polished.

Old 03-11-2023, 22:58   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob H View Post
I read that same story with the exact same wording every time. Do people get paid to post this?

Old 04-11-2023, 21:55   #28

Boat: Ocean Alexander Mk1 extended 55'

I have a flag blue awlgrip hull. The boat was on the market for over a year and during that time was routinely rinsed off with the local water in Alameda. Mineral deposits clouded the surface and gave a rough texture. What to do? Tried various products to dissolve the mineral deposits with no luck. Was at
A boat show and there was a booth selling Prizm products. Bought the metal polish product which was a very fine rubbing compound. It took most of tge deposits off with quite a bit of elbo grease. Followed up with polish. And now polish by hand every year to keep looking good as I can. Not a perfect solution but I’ve been doing this every year since 2012 and this is on a 55’ ocean Alexander. Quite the workout.
dw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, hull paint, paint, weather