Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2018, 21:34   #16

Boat: Outremer 55L
Weekend sailors - how do you relieve the sailing itch when weather doesn't cooperate?

Heading out in the rain is not so much fun, but as long as the wind and wave conditions are within the operating capability of your boat just reef down and head out. Do you have destination anchorages available for various wind directions? If so, just head out for the weekend, enjoy the exhilarating sailing and a snug anchorage.

If very light or no wind, sail or motor out, drift and go for a swim. Pick a nearby destination.

Almost any weekend can be a good weekend on your boat. And you’ll find your recollections of the past weather are that it was better than than that of your land-based friends.

If the weather is truly awful, binge on Netflix or do some house chores.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 15:05   #17

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978
Re: Weekend sailors - how do you relieve the sailing itch when weather doesn't cooper

Agree with others, go out in the rain in your foulies to figure out how best to use them...also good time to check for hatch or other sources of leaks..no wind, practice backing her into your slip...hone your lite wind skills, or we motor 3 miles out to Faulkner island, anchor, and swim about the boat. thnks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 17:42   #18

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Weekend sailors - how do you relieve the sailing itch when weather doesn't cooper

Yep, racing is a good idea as was mention because you race in winds anywhere above 5 knots or so up to around 21 constant in buoy racing. If it's Offshore racing even higher. (and lower) This on days when you might otherwise decide not to sail at all because things weren't "right" for sailing.

The boats coming down from Annapolis on Saturday Morning racing to Bermuda were enjoying some nice breeze which picked up to maybe 20 knots or so in the afternoon.

I first spotted them around 7 am. I was North of Cape Charles on the Eastern Shore side maybe 37.21N, 76.00W when I saw them coming. I had just started sailing headed to mid bay to then tack back south to Kiptopeke

I was like wow a sailboat this early, then another, and another. The first one ran his tack waay close to shore before changing tacks so I knew something was up

It was fun to watch as I sailed South
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 20:07   #19

Boat: O’Day 40

Man do I share your pain, here in Annapolis if it hasn’t been rain & thunderstorms, for the past month, it’s been no wind, thunderstorms & rain. Going out next weekend come he’ll or high weather.

So I bought Nigel Calders Boatowners Mechanical & Electrical Guide & am reading it cover to cover. If you want to join me next weekend grab your rain gear & pm me.

LouK
Shazam
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 20:18   #20
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Just put on your foulies and go for it any day on the boat. Here some of the best sailing is in winter..

What he said. And with a nice cat you can stay out of the weather. Waiting for perfect weather is pointless.

Sail Delmarva: Search results for winter sailing
Old 10-06-2018, 20:59   #21

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Huddle in the cabin, or get a motorboat with an enclosed pilothouse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ICaptain.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	171475  
Old 10-06-2018, 21:01   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
What he said. And with a nice cat you can stay out of the weather. Waiting for perfect weather is pointless.

Sail Delmarva: Search results for winter sailing
actually I have oil skins even have flannel lined for winter use. Just keep them oiled and all is warm and dry .
Old 11-06-2018, 08:36   #23
Coastal Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar CC 40

Just GO!

Of course you never leave the dock in really bad weather but Living in Florida every day is a chance of rain. If we just watched the forecast we would never get off the dock.

This past Memorial Day weekend is a great example. The forecast for all of Florida was crap. All rain all weekend. We find if we get to the boat then look at the sky we rarely turn away. Our rule is if we can get our old 40 footer out of the slip we can get anywhere we want to go.

Our reward on The holiday weekend was waking up on the boat at 7:00 am on Friday morning to a bright sunrise and a perfect day of sailing down the intercostal to Cocoa Beach. Once at Cocoa we didn't get rain till Saturday night. Sunday was actually a washout and we took refuge in a local marina for 24 hours then had some of the best 20 Knot wind at our back for a wild ride back to Daytona. We met some of the coolest people at a new dock, (fresh ears for old stories).

For those who say "learning happens on the boat", have it right. We had no deadlines/schedule/goals other than to be out on the boat. we got 5 days on the boat completely against the forecast and made a few new friends.

Boats are safe in the marina but thats not what they are made for!!!

Be prepared then cast off skipper!
Chris Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 10:07   #24

It is not possible to plan sailing outings by the calendar. The weather is what dictates outdoor activities whether its sailing or hang gliding or skydiving or whatever. One answer above mentioned the benefits to getting nasty weather experience and I agree. All that being said I have to say that I sailed the Chesapeake for a number of years and found that the very best sailing on the bay was in the winter when I could get out of the slip. There is wind and it is steady and no thunder storms and no biting flies. Bundle up in down filled long johns and enjoy the bay all to yourself.
mikesailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 10:17   #25

Try to sail whenever it's nice - eg weekdays after work. That way, you're not as dependent on the weekends for your sailing fix, and you won't feel as robbed if the weekend weather keeps you at the dock.

We grabbed a lovely hour or so yesterday evening, on about 10 min notice.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 10:43   #26

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

For the low wind days, I use my Asym Spinnaker, and travel in a direction that puts the wind 90 to 160 abaft of beam. I find that 2-4 knots sailing is really relaxing.

For the days I can't sail, either I have to work or the admiral thinks it's too stormy, I am always enrolled in one course or another to increase my knowledge as a Mariner. So....for these days I study the course material. Then, the very next time I am out there, I can apply what I have learned.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 11:37   #27

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Look to the Dutch and English, or even us in the Great Lakes -- If we waited for "good sailing weather" we'd be standing on the beach all day. If the water is not 'crunchy', you can sail on it. There is no bad weather, only poor clothing choices.

One thing that others have not mentioned in their previous, excellent posts is experience and safety. If you are not comfortable and experienced with heavy weather, grab a friend that is and get a lesson. I've begged rides from more experienced dockmates when I wanted to learn how to reef in a seaway or handle MOB's.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 09:15   #28

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Did he say ran out of boat chores? In what world is this? I want a piece of that!
Exactly what I was thinking. Refinishing cabinetry, messing with the new chartplotter, inventorying and labeling spare parts, re-organizing stowage, cleaning teak, cleaning the bilge, cleaning the cabin sole.........so far I've never run out of chores. Most days at the boat I'm lucky if I get 75% of the items on my list checked off.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooper, sail, sailing, weather